Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

26,000 + ...... really?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Indeed it is tickets sold, so the money is in the bank as it were. The worrying thing from the clubs point of view is there are large numbers of seats not being taken up. This is so much more noticeable all over the ground. I don't believe it is for any other reason than cost. Times are tough out there and everything is going up apart from wages....£6.90 for a pie and a soft drink.....Really, this is the championship not Wembley....I will still go whatever and I have to add £15 of petrol onto every home game but this is the first season I refuse to buy anything to drink or eat. I either stop at the shop or wait till I get home. You can't keep bleeding people to death, we are already paying more than some prem clubs for championship fare and we can't even get a striker on the bench......Great result yesterday by the way.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Indeed it is tickets sold, so the money is in the bank as it were. The worrying thing from the clubs point of view is there are large numbers of seats not being taken up. This is so much more noticeable all over the ground. I don't believe it is for any other reason than cost. Times are tough out there and everything is going up apart from wages....£6.90 for a pie and a soft drink.....Really, this is the championship not Wembley....I will still go whatever and I have to add £15 of petrol onto every home game but this is the first season I refuse to buy anything to drink or eat. I either stop at the shop or wait till I get home. You can't keep bleeding people to death, we are already paying more than some prem clubs for championship fare and we can't even get a striker on the bench......Great result yesterday by the way.
You really think the cost of pies are stopping people from going? I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what this mystery meal is between 2pm and 5pm that ive not discovered!

26,319 yesterday is only 485 short of the biggest crowd of the season so far at the Amex - 26,804 against Millwall. It's more than we had for the Derby County game (26,238), when there were 1,046 away fans. Yesterday, there were just over 500 away fans.

The numbers don't quite add up for me, even allowing for it being tickets sold that are being reported.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Firstly, I don't believe for a second that there were over 500 Bolton fans yesterday. Just isn't true.

Secondly, we all know the prices are ridiculous. Far too much and for me, it's simple. On the day of the game you drop the price to sell out. The more through the door, the more you'll get in the coffers and the more likely it is those people who wouldn't otherwise have gone, will actually spend money on programmes, food and/or drink. It doesn't make any sense to me to charge up to £43, which people won't pay and shouldn't pay for football. Barber's got the pricing structure wrong this season, definitely.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You really think the cost of pies are stopping people from going? I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what this mystery meal is between 2pm and 5pm that ive not discovered!

Where did I say that??? I said I wouldn't pay it.......I said in a round about sort of way that money across the board is very tight and I honestly believe this is a major factor in people not going. A day out at football doesn't begin and end at the money coming out of the bank every month. If you want to have a few pints and something to eat, you probably need another £30 notes on the day and I believe this is stopping a lot of people going.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
So... to summarise.
If ticket sales dictate the recorded gate in my Sunday Newspaper - then in theory the Amex might be less than half full and still '26,000 +' would be the official attendance.

The club really needs to tackle the issue of non-attendance, rather than inflate it.......

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Firstly, I don't believe for a second that there were over 500 Bolton fans yesterday. Just isn't true.

Secondly, we all know the prices are ridiculous. Far too much and for me, it's simple. On the day of the game you drop the price to sell out. The more through the door, the more you'll get in the coffers and the more likely it is those people who wouldn't otherwise have gone, will actually spend money on programmes, food and/or drink. It doesn't make any sense to me to charge up to £43, which people won't pay and shouldn't pay for football. Barber's got the pricing structure wrong this season, definitely.

You don't have to pay £43 to see a game now do you?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

In doing as you suggest, you would:

A) De-value your product
B) Create a disincentive to commit to paying up front (either with a season ticket) or in advance of the game

I don't think it's in the club's interest to do either of these things, even if it means that they miss out on a few more PAYG fans paying discounted prices.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Anyone wanting a ticket just needs to advertise the fact on the NSC ticket exchange and chances are you will get one at a very reasonable price. It has always worked for me.

I was at Old Trafford last week and they had about 7,000 empty seats, most belonging to STH who didn't fancy a match against dreary opposition and a 12.45 kick off.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Whatever yesterday's attendance was there were many people spending in addition to their ticket cost. The concourses were busy before and after kick off and the same with the shop with a queue constantly in excess of around fifty people. I was talking to my son about this and recalling Withdean where there was very little spent other than ticket sales. The club are clearly doing something right and if it increases revenue then that can only be good.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Pricing is spot on. Although there should be like 3 match packs for like £70.

26000xave price 30 is about 20% more income than 30000xave price 20.

Also the pricing encourages GUARANTEED season ticket income regardless of performance hence why we have the 9th most in England. (Season tickets are affordable for 95% of people at less than £50 per month).

Hats off to paul barber.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So... to summarise.
If ticket sales dictate the recorded gate in my Sunday Newspaper - then in theory the Amex might be less than half full and still '26,000 +' would be the official attendance.

The club really needs to tackle the issue of non-attendance, rather than inflate it.......

You take the number of season tickets sold, which lets say for example is 23,500, then what the gate is above that is how many individual tickets have been sold. So the crowd will always be above 23,500. It's the number of season ticket holders who can't be bothered to go that is the reason for all the empty seats. The important question is how many will not renew and pick and choose the games they attend?

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
I myself as a season ticket holder have no problem with the club selling tickets to people cheaper than what I've paid.

A. The attendance will be bigger and we can generate an atmosphere behind south goal to help the team

B. Let people who can't afford current ticket prices go to the game. Don't want to lose grass roots working class support to corporate big wigs!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Definitely. Match day tickets sales have been piss poor this season, averaging around 3000 out of a possible 7000 - not a coincidence that this massive drop has occurred with the obscene pricing introduced this season.

5,000 empty seats? Sounds like they need to think about their pricing.

I know people who would go more regular if ticket prices were cheaper.

Also the pricing encourages GUARANTEED season ticket income regardless of performance hence why we have the 9th most in England. (Season tickets are affordable for 95% of people at less than £50 per month).

Hats off to paul barber.

Match by match was also too high last yr imo. Tickets should be 25 tops. We would def sell out most games for me if there was 20-25 quid tickets available every game. Anyone who thinks 30-43 pounds iacceptable for a game is part of the problem imo. Yes you don't have to pay quite as much if the tickets are available but the fact is those tickets are still on sale at that disgusting price....

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Hats off to paul barber.

Exactly.......the facts speak for themselves, yes the pie/pint combo isn't cheap, but its quality.....never had a bad pie, never had a bad pint of Harveys......I would choose quality and taste over bland cheaper offerings you get elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here