Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 20 out of 20 managers fail to coach their strikers how to score

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If it was that easy, every EPL regular forward would get 20+ goals a season, every season.

In reality, the vast majority simply haven't got the unerring calmness of mind in the moment, confidence and technical ability of Kane and Mane. Instead fluffing their lines, over and over again, with the occasional goal.

The likes of Muzza and Ings are a rarity.

Mane got 10 in his first premier league season, so did Maupay. Mane got 11 in his second premier league season, Maupay has 7 so far in the first half of his second season. Mane was 8 months younger at the same stage. So Neal is on the right track :thumbsup:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Correct, he has scored 10 and Maupay has scored 7. Bamford has scored more goals, do you follow?

Personally, I think Maupay's tally is very good all things considered and I like him. He's missed some cracking sitters which is the difference between us and Leeds, to keep the comparison going. He'll get into double figures for the season, maybe get himself to 14 or 15 and that'll be a fantastic return for the season. Those of us who watch the games will remember the many misses, but personally I would tell him to be selfish. Play the width of the penalty area and be in there at all opportunities. The team needs him to score, not to try and link play. We've got plenty of linkers, not enough doers and finishers.

Yes. Murray's assists were very few and far between, if there was an inkling of a chance, he'd go for it - and it paid off. None of this fannying around in your main striker please.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I am not hiding behind anything Prick.PM me and we can discuss it face to face

1c0.gif

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mane got 10 in his first premier league season, so did Maupay. Mane got 11 in his second premier league season, Maupay has 7 so far in the first half of his second season. Mane was 8 months younger at the same stage. So Neal is on the right track :thumbsup:

If Maupay ends up getting 10 to 15 goals per EPL season, with a conversion rate of 1 in 5 chances, at a reported transfer fee of £16m to £20m, that would be good value, imho.

The Albion don't operate in the market for strikers who score 20+ EPL goals a season.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I take your point, however, what about Calvert Lewin at Everton. Ha he suddenly just got better or is it because he has Duncan Ferguson helping him with his game.

Of course you can make strikers better at finishing. I agree its not down to the Manager to do this, but it is down to the Manager to find a way to do it.

I don't think its really about coaching technical skills you have to assume that they exist in a player, it's more about how you think under pressure - get your thinking straight so improving composure. Maybe they need to do a bit of meditation before the came to calm the nerves.

Calvert Lewis has become a better striker because he has the confidence of the people round him and that has improved his confidence.

Calvert-Lewin has said in interviews that under Ancelotti, he has been given specific pointers that have really improved him (IIRC it's taking chances first time rather than taking a touch), so I'd say that it's a pretty clear (and evidenced) example of where a manager/coach has made a difference. That hasn't happened in isolation of course, because Everton also bought a load of players to supply DCL with better chances...

Calvert-Lewin hasnt suddenly become a better finisher, he was always special. The only thing that has changed is he grew up, become much stronger.

Here is a quote from the Times last summer.

“I walked past Dominic Calvert-Lewin the other day and I was like, ‘oh my god!’,” Everton Under-23s coach David Unsworth told The Times.

“He has grown and bulked up. God help centre halves in the Premier League when the games kick-off again.”

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If Maupay ends up getting 10 to 15 goals per EPL season, with a conversion rate of 1 in 5 chances, at a reported transfer fee of £16m to £20m, that would be good value, imho.

The Albion don't operate in the market for strikers who score 20+ EPL goals a season.

They have only been 14 occasions of a player scoring 20+ goals for a team who finished outside the top 6 in the Premier league since it started. Only 8 for a team who finished outside the top 8. And that list incudes Shearer and Le Tissier. So no, guess we don't.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When it comes to an objective assessment of coaching who wouldn't trust a drug addled Swedish conspiracy theorist pizza box collector who has a self admitted obsession with one particular coach and follows him round like a lost puppy?

Ad hominem I know but the whole thread has been started to troll certain people.

Don't ever change Swanny, you're marvellously entertaining but I'm not sure the whole board takes you seriously.

Bamford and Calvert-Lewin by the way. And I don't honestly care if it's Veltman, Burn or Alzate's back again so long as the TEAM scores. Which we seem to struggle with. Actually take Maupay's seven goals out of the team and we'd be sunk.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When it comes to an objective assessment of coaching who wouldn't trust a drug addled Swedish conspiracy theorist pizza box collector who has a self admitted obsession with one particular coach and follows him round like a lost puppy?

Ad hominem I know but the whole thread has been started to troll certain people.

Don't ever change Swanny, you're marvellously entertaining but I'm not sure the whole board takes you seriously.

Bamford and Calvert-Lewin by the way. And I don't honestly care if it's Veltman, Burn or Alzate's back again so long as the TEAM scores. Which we seem to struggle with. Actually take Maupay's seven goals out of the team and we'd be sunk.

Very interesting and brave statement. While you're at it, could you tell me where bears defecate? Think you could have some groundbreaking information on that subject as well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
“I walked past Dominic Calvert-Lewin the other day and I was like, ‘oh my god!’,” Everton Under-23s coach David Unsworth told The Times.

“He has grown and bulked up. God help centre halves in the Premier League when the games kick-off again.”

Especially if they obligingly duck under the ball for him when he's arriving at the far post.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
You can't ****ing coach a striker to score goals. It's a case of kick ball with your strongest foot, aim to get ball between those two posts, and under that bar that joins the two posts. But remember it needs to go past that man with the different coloured top on, usually be is wearing gloves, and normally tall, (but not always). And just in case there is a player wearing a different coloured kit to you make sure you miss him.

Just for clarification Lewis it's not the goal that has your team mate in.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You do realise Mane didn’t play as a striker for Southampton?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Calvert-Lewin hasnt suddenly become a better finisher, he was always special. The only thing that has changed is he grew up, become much stronger.

Here is a quote from the Times last summer.

He is scoring more this season...you say it's because he has bulked up might be it helps e.g solly March has become stronger. Personally having Ancelloti give you a pep talk would boost a strikers confidence imo. Maupay has tailed off once wellbeck signed I wonder if he felt he was no longer number 1 striker......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here