Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 20 out of 20 managers fail to coach their strikers how to score

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Pierre-Emerick Aubemeyang only scored five goals for Arsenal this season. The reason is that Mikel Arteta didnt coach Aubameyang how to score.

Keinan Davis got 2 goals in 58 appearances for Aston Villa. The reason must be Dean Smith who didnt coach Davis how to score.
Barnes and Wood only scored 2 & 4 goals for Burnley this season. The reason? Sean Dyche. Not coaching his players in the art of scoring goals.

Timo Werner.. not a lot of goals so far in Chelsea. Because Frank Lampard didnt coach him into scoring them.

Christan Benteke... good thing Roy Hodgson couldnt coach him into scoring goals!

Alex Iwobi. 1 goal in 16 appearances this season in Everton for the winger/striker. Too bad multiple CL winning manager Ancelotti is unable to coach him into scoring.

Player of your choice in Fulham... not many goals, because Scott Parker havent taught them how to score.

Rodrigo was expensive for Leeds but only 3 goals so far. Waste of money as Bielsa failed to coach him into scoring.

Kelechi Icheosomething in Leicester. Ten appearances, 0 goals. If only Rodgers coached him into scoring Leicester might have been top of the table.

Firmino in Liverpool. Only 8 goals last season and only 6 goals in 20 appearances this season. If only they had a competent manager who could teach him how to score.

We could go on but unfortunately I need to go eat some yoghurt. But I guarantee that in every PL team there is one, two, three or sometimes even four strikers who scored very few goals this season, which according to some people on NSC means that there must be 20 completely incompetent managers in the league.

Historically, it looks worryingly similar. Diego Forlan didnt score any goals in United. Because the world is a very simple and binary place, this means Sir Alex Ferguson is shit. Even Arsenal had a couple of strikers who rarely scored. #wengerout

Conclusion: there's never been a competent manager in the PL because in every team there's always been strikers who didnt score a lot. But maybe, just maybe there is a light in the tunnel. I'm sure that you bagged a few ones last time you played in the park. Maybe you are the solution to the everlasting, all-compassing incompetence of Premier League managers?

or maybe football, footballers and humans are a lot more complex than you are able to grasp and you're better of doing some thinking or reading

Whatever happened to the cup final money?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I absolutely love this thread. Various people 'agree' with [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] then say 'but what about that lad with loads of goals? Doesn't that prove that you can coach a scorer to score?' :facepalm:

That Potter just needs to coach Maupay to score goals like Kane and Ronaldo! Simples.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Or are goals now more spread across the whole team, rather than relying on one main scorer. In the 28 PL seasons only 10 times has a player scored 30 or more league goals in a season.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yes, probably. Along with a fat list of other things that people rarely if ever mention.

Because nobody ever mentions confidence. Or a match day thread favourite- their GK is having the game of his life.
Or playing out of position. Or being in a new country. Or covid. These things are always mentioned.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Your simplistic take on things has to be trolling.

Who’s being simplistic?

You’re criticising Potter for not coaching our strikers better and then point to Jose’s coaching of Kane as proof it can be done.

I’m pointing out the major flaw in your argument that Kane has been a goal scoring machine for 5 years, long before he met Jose.

Are you suggesting that Jose has made Kane a better goal scorer?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Who’s being simplistic?

You’re criticising Potter for not coaching our strikers better and then point to Jose’s coaching of Kane as proof it can be done.

I’m pointing out the major flaw in your argument that Kane has been a goal scoring machine for 5 years, long before he met Jose.

Are you suggesting that Jose has made Kane a better goal scorer?

I'm not criticising anyone.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Alex Iwobi has been playing as a wing back at times, when he's actually played. Keinan Davis is 22.

Continue the desperate defence of Potter, that's your thing. But at the very least use examples who are actually playing as strikers.

Funny how you don't use Patrick Bamford, who has a history of not scoring in the PL but has done so regularly this season under Bielsa who has a team set up to generate plenty of chances for him (thankfully, because he needs plenty to score).

And what about Callum Wilson playing in a rubbish Newcastle team? Any reason he hasn't been mentioned for his 8 goals? It's his joint second best season for PL goals but he's playing for Steve Bruce so that can't be right?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Vagabond, you have an absolute inability to discuss. Swansmann is intelligent and amusing. He is fully aware he will be poking the bees nest with posts like this. You just argue with anyone who doesn't have your weirdly myopic view.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Vagabond, you have an absolute inability to discuss. Swansmann is intelligent and amusing. He is fully aware he will be poking the bees nest with posts like this. You just argue with anyone who doesn't have your weirdly myopic view.

Eh? Im willing to discuss, I’ve politely engaged with you with some questions and to all you say is “that’s simplistic”. Or a one line response: “I’m not criticising anyone”.

Now you make a personal attack, something I don’t do.

Feel free to respond with my posts to you on where I’m wrong. That’s what discussion is.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Pierre-Emerick Aubemeyang only scored five goals for Arsenal this season. The reason is that Mikel Arteta didnt coach Aubameyang how to score.

Keinan Davis got 2 goals in 58 appearances for Aston Villa. The reason must be Dean Smith who didnt coach Davis how to score.
Barnes and Wood only scored 2 & 4 goals for Burnley this season. The reason? Sean Dyche. Not coaching his players in the art of scoring goals.

Timo Werner.. not a lot of goals so far in Chelsea. Because Frank Lampard didnt coach him into scoring them.

Christan Benteke... good thing Roy Hodgson couldnt coach him into scoring goals!

Alex Iwobi. 1 goal in 16 appearances this season in Everton for the winger/striker. Too bad multiple CL winning manager Ancelotti is unable to coach him into scoring.

Player of your choice in Fulham... not many goals, because Scott Parker havent taught them how to score.

Rodrigo was expensive for Leeds but only 3 goals so far. Waste of money as Bielsa failed to coach him into scoring.

Kelechi Icheosomething in Leicester. Ten appearances, 0 goals. If only Rodgers coached him into scoring Leicester might have been top of the table.

Firmino in Liverpool. Only 8 goals last season and only 6 goals in 20 appearances this season. If only they had a competent manager who could teach him how to score.

We could go on but unfortunately I need to go eat some yoghurt. But I guarantee that in every PL team there is one, two, three or sometimes even four strikers who scored very few goals this season, which according to some people on NSC means that there must be 20 completely incompetent managers in the league.

Historically, it looks worryingly similar. Diego Forlan didnt score any goals in United. Because the world is a very simple and binary place, this means Sir Alex Ferguson is shit. Even Arsenal had a couple of strikers who rarely scored. #wengerout

Conclusion: there's never been a competent manager in the PL because in every team there's always been strikers who didnt score a lot. But maybe, just maybe there is a light in the tunnel. I'm sure that you bagged a few ones last time you played in the park. Maybe you are the solution to the everlasting, all-compassing incompetence of Premier League managers?

or maybe football, footballers and humans are a lot more complex than you are able to grasp and you're better of doing some thinking or reading

And there has never ever ever been anything, a shred, iota or diddly squat that's negative that has ever been anything to do with Potter.

However everything positive he is completely responsible for.

OK Graham's dad.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There are so many facets to simply scoring a goal. A lot is in the players mind, people should read Tony Cascarino's autobiography for the demons that in his mind whenever he had a scoring opportunity. Confidence and luck are huge parts of goal scoring, Ian Rush at his best seemed to rarely miss a chance while Diego Forlan could miss an empty net.

If a forward is on a bad run they almost don't want the ball to come to them in case they miss a chance again.. I bet Christian Benteke breathes a huge sigh every time he's named as a sub.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And there has never ever ever been anything, a shred, iota or diddly squat that's negative that has ever been anything to do with Potter.

However everything positive he is completely responsible for.

OK Graham's dad.

If you say so

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes so coaching played a part.

Of course it plays a part.
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] is calling out the narrative that our strikers' misses are entirely the fault of G-Pott. The 'Potterout' squad.

I actually don't mind potterouters as an entity. [MENTION=28481]neilbard[/MENTION] makes me laugh. He's made a decision and doesn't bother to justify it (much). We disagree. That's all.

What gets on my wick is the torturing of statistics to 'prove' that Potter is a tuppeny ha'penny wanker, and the relentless thread starting by some clowns calling for Potter to be sacked after every draw. I sense a little glee there. Nasty, in fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here