Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
16th March 1985

England 0-1 West Germany

Schoolboy international

el punal

Nice one to kick off with!
Mine was 17/10/73 with THAT 1-1 draw with Poland.

Although not my first to Wembley, that was December 68/ January 69 when I saw England play Bulgaria and Romania, the Poland game totally buggered up my summer holiday plans.

What I remembered was the deafening noise from 100,000 England fans that night - my ears were still ringing the following day. England’s inability to put the ball in the net (that also rings bells closer to home!). Norman ‘lift my leg up and let the ball the ball go past me’ Hunter. The deathly silence on the packed train back to Brighton.

The buggering up bit? My mate and I had booked two weeks off work to watch the finals in Germany the following summer with campsites pencilled in. Hopes and dreams of being a football supporter eh? :rolleyes:

Bingo

Jul 27, 2014
Seaford
England 2 Holland 0, May 1982 - Steve Foster played in a warm-up game before the world cup.
Sat near the front on really old wooden benches.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
England v Argentina 1991. Before the game my Dad bought tickets from the Wembley for the Notts County play-off final the following week.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Although not my first to Wembley, that was December 68/ January 69 when

What I remembered was the deafening noise from 100,000 England fans that night - my ears were still ringing the following day.

And the time it took for the sound to travel one end of Wembley to the other, it was like an echo chamber,both ends couldn't be in unison because of the time lag.

Wish we could use the same excuse for the police box crew:lolol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Only football I have seen there was the 1991 play off final.

I've seen Harlequins play at Wembley more than any football teams.

el punal

My first Wembley visit could have been the bestest, most famous, most exhilarating of all time. I had a chance of a 1966 World Cup final ticket - behind the Royal Box no less. To my eternal regret I had to turn it down as the price was £10, way beyond my pocket money limit of 2/6 (that’s about 12p to you newbies!). Curses! :tantrum:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
September 12th 2007, England v Russia, Euro qualifier, 3-0.
Bloke in front missed the first two goals as he went for a piss both times, I also poked my brother in the eye when we scored.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sadly 1985 Wigan v Brentford Freight Rover Final.

Aged 15 I was living in Pieland (Wigan) and with friends at School had traveled down on an official coach with mates on the M6 with a Brighton scarf covering the back seat !!

The next trip, I was fuming after a dismal, disappointing performance against Notts County, never been so pissed off after a match.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sadly 1985 Wigan v Brentford Freight Rover Final.

Aged 15 I was living in Pieland (Wigan) and with friends at School had traveled down on an official coach with mates on the M6 with a Brighton scarf covering the back seat !!

The next trip, I was fuming after a dismal, disappointing performance against Notts County, never been so pissed off after a match.

That could be a whole new thread - whats the most devastated you've ever been after a match.

I think that Notts County game is up there for me. I just felt so absolutely sick to the stomach that we'd got within 90 minutes of the top flight, and blown it. In our scabby pink crabstick kit. Yes the Boro game was similar, but it didn't have the whole Wembley grandeur and occasion that just fell so desperately flat in the end - plus unlike 1991, we didn't have a complete firesale and go straight down the next season.

I was BEYOND fuming after Notts County. I was clinically depressed.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That could be a whole new thread - whats the most devastated you've ever been after a match.

I think that Notts County game is up there for me. I just felt so absolutely sick to the stomach that we'd got within 90 minutes of the top flight, and blown it. In our scabby pink crabstick kit. Yes the Boro game was similar, but it didn't have the whole Wembley grandeur and occasion that just fell so desperately flat in the end - plus unlike 1991, we didn't have a complete firesale and go straight down the next season.

I was BEYOND fuming after Notts County. I was clinically depressed.

Agreed, I remember after the third goal went in, several older Albion fans behind me discussed leaving and waiting for county fans and giving them a pasting or……

Supporting Chelsea next season, I was gutted beyond belief, we were clearly better than that performance

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
England vs Poland - 3rd June 1989 aged 6 with Dad and my school friend.

3 0 HW Bobby Robson Shilton P Stevens G Walker D Butcher T Pearce S Robson B Webb N Waddle C Barnes J Lineker G Beardsley P

Never been to the New Wembley so hurry up Brighton as I’ll fly half way round the world for a final (but not a semi).

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003

I was BEYOND fuming after Notts County. I was clinically depressed

Good call.

We were so BAD that day, such a disappointment after the euphoria of the Millwall '4 goals in not many minutes' game

Always remember the first game of the next season, Notts County had Man United..............we didn't. :(

Back to the thread, went with my school in 1984 to Wembley. The year above (wasn't called Year 6 in those days!!) got through to the schools seven aside national finals, losing in the final. Travelled up in coaches from Haywards Heath, great day out.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Stoke v Chelsea, League Cup Final, 1972.

A friend's dad had tickets and invited me.

Both these teams have been in my top five of most hated teams for decades since, although Stoke have possibly been pushed back to about tenth now.

EDIT: Also, like [MENTION=20]Publius Ovidius[/MENTION], before I was aware of the Albion. I supported Cambridge United back then.

I was at that game too! My last match as a Chelsea fan - and not just because they lost but as I'd lived in Sussex for six years by then I'd become an Albion fan almost without realising it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here