England v Holland 16 June 1980 World Cup Qualifier

Both games finished 0-0.

And at the new Wembley
South Korea v Gabon 1 August 2012 Olympic Tournament

Yes yet another 0-0

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
Won a Comp back in the early 90's & the prize was to watch an American Football match (London Monarchs) sitting next to Chesney Hawkes. The girls in my class were going nuts. He was pretty shy to be fair but I guess he was only about 19-20 himself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
March 31st 1991 World American Football League, London Monarchs vs New York Knights, my first date with Mrs Jakarta.

My main thought about Wembley was what a dump it was...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Never went to the old one, have no intention of going to the new one.

More of a 100 Club kind of person

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
First trip was when my dad took an 11 year old me to the FA Cup Final replay (he'd gone with my mum in the posh seats for the first game).

I remember him picking me up from primary school in the afternoon to get the coach from Conway Street. Walking out of class that day to go to Wembley for the FA Cup Final that night gave me a feeling of EPIC smugness, as my classmates cracked on with their geography.

Would never happen now. "Rupert has school in the morning", etc.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
21 April 71. My brother and I were taken to England 3 - 0 Greece by the St Francis Hospital social club in Haywards Heath.

Goals by Chivers, Hurst and Lee. 55,123. I remember seeing Sir Alf Ramsay.

Jul 7, 2003
Went to Wembley Arena in 1981 (I think) for the old Daily Express 5-a-side tournament. Used to be shown on Sportsnight and Albion had got to the final a couple of years before. Under Mike Bailey, the albion ground out a dull 0-0 draw with Newcastle if i remember correctly. One thing i do remember is Arsenal showcasing some of their upcoming talent which included Paul Davis and Chris Whyte.

First trip to the stadium was in May 1983, swiftly followed by my second visit a few days later:smile:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
England v Switzerland, the opening game of Euro 96.

A special day I’ll never forget. My dad managed to get hold of some tickets for my 11th birthday. I’ve never been so excited about a football match in my life. My first time in the big smoke, we were on the first train out of Grimsby, we arrived at Wembley Park off the tube about 5 hours before kick-off. Wembley Way was absolutely deserted.

It was a shít game, but just being there, at Wembley, watching England, meeting friendly Switzerland fans with their massive flags. The opening ceremony. It was just something I’d never experienced before. A brilliant day of father and son bonding.

I remember it too, because the following day my dad beat me absolutely black and blue in the middle of the Spain v Bulgaria game on the telly, while my mum and sister were out. No particular reason. The beating of my life time.

That weekend epitomised my childhood. I had the best dad in the world. I had the worst dad in the world.

That is incredibly sad, and poignant.

I was so, so lucky in my childhood. Both my parents were amazing, neither of them ever raised a hand to me. OK I turned out a dickhead, but I couldn't have wished for a better upbringing. Unfortunately my wife wasn't as lucky in her childhood either.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Having seen schoolboy internationals mentioned I have a feeling I did go to one way way back. My guess would have been 1968ish. But then again, why cant I remember it? Maybe I didn't go.
In which case it was March 1972 and the Stoke v Chelsea League Cup Final for which I obtained tickets via the free League magazine in the Albion programme of the time.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
That is incredibly sad, and poignant.

I was so, so lucky in my childhood. Both my parents were amazing, neither of them ever raised a hand to me. OK I turned out a dickhead, but I couldn't have wished for a better upbringing. Unfortunately my wife wasn't as lucky in her childhood either.

They can fúck you up, your parents. It’s something I try to remember when bringing up my own kids; I don’t always get it perfect but my aim is to leave them with as many happy memories, and as few unhappy ones as possible. I don’t think it’s a bad way to look at parenting.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They can fúck you up, your parents. It’s something I try to remember when bringing up my own kids; I don’t always get it perfect but my aim is to leave them with as many happy memories, and as few unhappy ones as possible. I don’t think it’s a bad way to look at parenting.

Indeed.

I remember my mum and dad saying to me once when I was in my teens looking for work with an uncertain future "just remember, whatever happens in your life, whatever bumps in the road, you will always, always have a roof over your head here". I just found that incredibly reassuring, and its something I've passed on to my two kids (at my house, not my parents!). We're lucky to all be so close.

Anyway, on with the Wembley memories.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Mine was 47 years ago today!

England-Netherlands schoolboy international

Happy days - I remember going to several schoolboy internationals at Wembley in the 60s and 70s. A wonderful experience for us youngsters on our annual primary school outings. Capacity crowds too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here