Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st Ashes Test Australia v England - Brisbane

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Good first day for England, 273-8 on a prime batting surface, I'd definitely have taken that before the first ball.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good first day for England, 273-8 on a prime batting surface, I'd definitely have taken that before the first ball.

I went to bed at about 1.30am thinking I'd be happy with 300-3 on that surface. Rarely missing the bat or doing much in those first 15 overs or so. Brilliant to wake up at 6am with them at 150-6. Delighted with 273-8, superb batting from Haddin and Johnson claws them back into it a bit from a perilous position, but this is one of the flattest wickets in the world.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The Aussies are gash, they haven't improved since the summer, anything less than a series win by a couple of tests will be poor from us.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If anyone doesn't have Sky Sports , the freeview channel PICK TV are showing the highlights show at 10 every night

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Looks like a great start to the series, but lets not get too premature.
I'll take judgement once both sides have batted.
If we knock them over for 300 and have a 150+ run first innings lead, then we can sit comfortably.
Day two will be massive to this match and the series.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Says something when ultimately you're disappointed at 273/8 after day 1 at The Gabba. Fantastic I know, but considering we had them at 132/6.....

I woke up this morning picked up my kindle and refreshed cricinfo and was thought brilliant 212-6 but then I saw one batsman on 49 and the other 51 and felt a bit disappointed but I'm sure any England supporter and the team would have bitten your hand off for 273-8 this time yesterday, as somebody has already said Day 2 is massive

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
England will need to put a 100-120 on top of whatever the Aussies score as they will have to bat last. Decent start from England and Broad though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
England will need to put a 100-120 on top of whatever the Aussies score as they will have to bat last. Decent start from England and Broad though.

Nah.

Skittle the last 2 out very very quickly tomorrow
Bat for 2 and a half days
Rack up 600+
Declare
Bowl them out again in the day and a half left
Innings win
Jobs-a-goodun

:thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gabba is usually very good to the Aussies so I suspect there are a few twists and turns still to come in this test match.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Nah.

Rack up 600+
Declare
Innings win
Jobs-a-goodun

That scenario would work :cheers: Looking forward to a couple of late nights over the weekend, Hopefully it will play out as you describe.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Nah.

Rack up 600+
Declare
Innings win
Jobs-a-goodun

you have watched england play cricket before pasty?

:D

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Nah.

Rack up 600+
Declare
Innings win
Jobs-a-goodun

This, Cook and Carberry will put on 400 for the first wicket.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Whilst you'd definitely take it before play, having them at 130 odd for 6, is just a little disappointing to let them press on a bit.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Whilst you'd definitely take it before play, having them at 130 odd for 6, is just a little disappointing to let them press on a bit.

True, but shows what batting on this wicket can be like when the ball is 50 odd overs old.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
True, but shows what batting on this wicket can be like when the ball is 50 odd overs old.

Indeed, but I was just imagining, if I was standing there in the field, inwardly smiling at having them at 130 for 6, I would also be thinking that I'd be a little miffed if I couldn't get them down in less than another 50 or 60.

I'm not complaining, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here