Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1983 Cup Final Money

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

bhadebenhams said:
Can I post that Dick Knight (Boo!) sacked Dean Wilkins because Dean (7th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) found that DK had used all the money from the 1983 Cup Final to build a life size statue of himself out of KFC Bargain Buckets?

bhadebenhams said:
He knows that Dick Tight STOLE the FA Cup Final money in 1983 to have a life size gold statue made of himself, and also sacked Dean Wilkins (HOUSEWIVE's FAVOURITE, ESPECIALLY THIS ONE) after finishing 7th (SEVENTH) two seasons ago because Dean knew that Tight has a small willy.

Etc etc. Obviously. :p

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I dont think that DK came into the equation as regards the 1983 Cup Final money. Why would he have he was only a supporter, if even that.

Good grief! :facepalm:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
My point is that he would have had no access to the Cup Final money as it would have all gone by the time he became chairman or am I being thick.

I think it was the fact you said "He was only a supporter, if even that" that caused the :facepalm:

Its easy to see where the money's gone. Its keeping the forks from Withdean :rant:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Robinson was definitely signed on a 10 year contract and I seem to remember but am not sure it was the same with Lawrenson.

Lawrenson had nothing to do with it as he had already been sold long before we got to the final, he played in the team against us at Anfield.

Robinson was sold before we played in the 2nd division as well.

The club were already in heavy debt at that time so probably it just kept the wolf from the door for a bit longer.

Lawrenson had nothing to do with it as he had already been sold long before we got to the final, he played in the team against us at Anfield.

Robinson was sold before we played in the 2nd division as well.

The club were already in heavy debt at that time so probably it just kept the wolf from the door for a bit longer.

just got 900k for lawrenson,how much in debt?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
the person who asked it definatley posts on here

He has a double-barrelled surname if that helps anyone... I've not seen him for years. Not since he worked at Sainsburys in the mid 90's!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
My point is that he would have had no access to the Cup Final money as it would have all gone by the time he became chairman or am I being thick.

Exactly. I put a :facepalm: because bhadebenhams is clearly pulling your leg. As indeed am I.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
just got 900k for lawrenson,how much in debt?

A few years down the line by the time we got asset stripped wasn't it about a 6 million debt that the 3 barstewards managed to inflate by about 3 million within a year?

Was 6 million MASSIVE in those days? I don't remember tbh

I think the problem was that the money dried up with the death of Keith Wickenden and Bamber leaving whilst the Goldstone remained a crumbling shithole that could not be redeveloped. In short we became a pretty unattractive opportunity for all but the Archers of this world.

As to the cup final money, no smoke without fire would be my take but with no knowledge whatsoever.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I thaught that it would be quite OBVIOUS that I was joking, I didnt realise I had to attach a smilie to emphisise(sp) that point!

And in 1983 I was -4 years old

I thought it was pretty obvious too, but hey!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think everythng went pearshape when Wickenden died in a plane crash. I heard that Bamber was the face of Albion but Wickenden was the brains behind the operation. After he died the board, the board, influenced by Bamber, went on to make poor business decisions and the debts just spiralled.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Correct. There was also the matter that even when they were sold part (if not all) of the remainding periods on their contracts had to be paid-up as 'loyalty' payments. Something to do with not handing in written transfer requests.

This was in the early years of players being contracted to a club for a fixed period (Freedom of Contract). It had come in in about 1978 to replace the earlier system of 'Retain and Transfer' whereby once you signed to a club you were their 'property' until they wanted to sell you. Quite a few clubs f***ed up. Bristol City actually went bust because they'd put players on ten year contracts at 1st divison wages, and then struggled big-time when they got relegated.

EDIT: Anyway to answer the question, what happened to the Cup Final money? It got spent keeping the Albion going.

Yep, those players needed to be sold.

The players however were not obligated to move, so even in the pre-agent days there was a likely payment from BHA to those players before agreeing to a move.

Of course they then negotiated a signing on fee from their new club to seal the deal.

Aaaaah the 'good ole' days' without agents .....................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here