Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1983 Cup Final Money

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think everythng went pearshape when Wickenden died in a plane crash. I heard that Bamber was the face of Albion but Wickenden was the brains behind the operation. After he died the board, the board, influenced by Bamber, went on to make poor business decisions and the debts just spiralled.
I've often thought that. Never had any proof and the evidence is circumstantial, but the financial decline of the Albion seemed to start when Wickenden was killed. I think even at the time it was acknowledged by the fans that Bamber was the Ideas and People man, and Wickenden (who'd built up Townsend Thoresen Ferries) was the man who could harness the good ideas and had the strength of character to tell Bamber to ditch the bad ones.

Like I say, no proof, but I wonder where we'd be if Wickenden hadn't died?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
so where did the money go?:shrug:
Mainly on meeting the club's contractual obligations (bonuses etc) and covering the losses accrued that season (as the league crowds were at times less than half the budgeted break-even figure). Any residual, if indeed there was any, was quickly swallowed up next season paying 1st division wages on 2nd divison gates. See the earlier posts about contratcs.

Happy now?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
when the goldstone was being cleared ahead of demolition, a certain former liberal mp placed all historical records concerning players tax liabilities and salaries into a skip on newtown road.

I believe some details emerged in the argus but many others are certainly held by the lucky people who 'removed' them from public view.

From what I saw of them, I think the cup final money (100k at an average of £10 even divided 3 ways would have only seen c300k after costs coming to the club plus some commercial spin offs) would have not even covered the hole caused by crowds being way below the 20k required to break even.

As for the man utd fans in our end, I think Stan Flashman had some good stories on that bit

when the goldstone was being cleared ahead of demolition, a certain former liberal mp placed all historical records concerning players tax liabilities and salaries into a skip on newtown road.

I believe some details emerged in the argus but many others are certainly held by the lucky people who 'removed' them from public view.

From what I saw of them, I think the cup final money (100k at an average of £10 even divided 3 ways would have only seen c300k after costs coming to the club plus some commercial spin offs) would have not even covered the hole caused by crowds being way below the 20k required to break even.

As for the man utd fans in our end, I think Stan Flashman had some good stories on that bit

I dont think stan even saw those tickets,i think there was a more direct route,did we play united in a friendly the following season?

D

Deleted User X18H

No. I mean the deal was done, without his consideration. He was driven to Birmingham... and then for a while refused to sign. He didn't want to leave Brighton.

And now on CBBC...... Jackanory with Christoper Biggins.

Fozzie wanted to play in the Prem (First Division) he still had the chance of more England appearances.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Should I be pulling up a chair at this stage?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
And now on CBBC...... Jackanory with Christoper Biggins.

Fozzie wanted to play in the Prem (First Division) he still had the chance of more England appearances.

I have heard Foster tell the same story that TLO is relating so unless Fozzie is being a revisionist it could well be true.

As for further England appearances - do me a favour. He was effectively banned from the England set up for taking the FA to court to try and overturn the cup final ban.

Now here's a question for all good anoraks. Which Albion related institution did Foster slag off in his post transfer interview with Tony Millard on Southern Sound?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No. I mean the deal was done, without his consideration. He was driven to Birmingham... and then for a while refused to sign. He didn't want to leave Brighton.

I think we forget or some might be too young to fully appreciate just how dominant these players were in terms of their own playing status and especially in Steve Fosters case his own personality.

It was a time when these players were literally bigger than the club !

They were recognised performers in the top league and each an International.

Sitting on multi million pound contracts the club could no longer afford, the club needed them off their books whilst receiving a necessary financial boost in terms of any transfer fees.

This wasn't a time of naive football players, each by now knew their own worth and were unlikely to accept a deal that they themselves did not benefit too.

So quite reasonably they were likely to enjoy a leaving fee and a signing on fee whilst maintaining a lucrative income.

It may well be that Foster didn't want to leave Brighton ( the town or the club ), but ultimately Foster would of done it his way and good luck to him for that.

D

Deleted User X18H

I have heard Foster tell the same story that TLO is relating so unless Fozzie is being a revisionist it could well be true.

As for further England appearances - do me a favour. He was effectively banned from the England set up for taking the FA to court to try and overturn the cup final ban.

Now here's a question for all good anoraks. Which Albion related institution did Foster slag off in his post transfer interview with Tony Millard on Southern Sound?

Squash Club at Corals.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So quite reasonably they were likely to enjoy a leaving fee and a signing on fee whilst maintaining a lucrative income.

It would have been financial suicide if he had asked to leave and thus lost the signing on fee etc. Remember they were earning decent money then but nothing in comparison to what they would have been on today in a similar situation.

D

Deleted User X18H

ROSM;3603466Now here's a question for all good anoraks. Which Albion related institution did Foster slag off in his post transfer interview with Tony Millard on Southern Sound?[/QUOTE said:
Johnny Vinnicombe and the Argus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here