Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I don't think that's right. I don't think Gold don't get access to the restaurant or the Platinum Bar.

As far as I understood it, the gold areas will have their own bars and buffet eating facilities. Not sure they have any access to the Platinum area. Perhaps someone who has bought a gold seat could clarify ?

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Yes. Gold members have their own buffet style restaurant and a couple of bars. No access to the Platinum sections.

Unless as TGC says, that I'm sure if there are spaces left for a pre-match dinner in the Platinum restaurant that these could get offered to Gold memebers.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The £1000 payment being included is misleading full stop as it is redeemable if you sell the seat. The £500 option on the other hand seems like false economy unless you can top up another £500 after 5 years and that is it as presumable you won't get £500 back if you sell the seat or fail to renew.

And it appears that the vast majority of platinum seats are for business so a price per match is irrelevant anyway. I'm not sure whether people are quoting prices per match to explain why they aren't doing it or are trying to prove superiority by trying to point out the cost per match assuming those of us that have gone for a seat were too stupid to do the maths and bought into a Perry vision blindly. Bear in mind that non testimonial friendlies are included as well (likely to be much higher standard than now), and that 4 Gold or 2 Platinum can get a very valuable parking space if they club together. And also bear in mind that virtually everyone who has gone for a 1901 seat has completely thought through the cost and benefit equations to themselves.

Oh dear, you're a little ray of sunshine, aren't you? That was a very defensive post, presuming ignorance in others on every level. And it misses the point I was making by quite a distance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As far as I understood it, the gold areas will have their own bars and buffet eating facilities. Not sure they have any access to the Platinum area. Perhaps someone who has bought a gold seat could clarify ?

This is my understanding. The main sit-down restaurant and bar area at the back of the centre of the middle tier are for Platinum only. Gold have their own separate buffet only facilities and catering outlets somewhere else.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh dear, you're a little ray of sunshine, aren't you? That was a very defensive post, presuming ignorance in others on every level. And it misses the point I was making by quite a distance.

I'm not sure you're being a bit sensitive there. I agreed with the point being made in that a lot of posters are including the £1000 membership or downpayment on the seat in the calculations of what the 1901 works out per match. I know you did exclude the £1000 however.

Obviously some people have done the 1901, and some haven't, there will be tension as those justify the reasons why they have done it, and others why not. I haven't done it, I have 2 children at 4 and 6 who have from last season started coming along to the Withdean and really enjoyed it. I am a sole trader but to be honest, I would rather sit with them, than on a business level look for opportunities on a match day. I think an adult plus 2 U10's season tickets are going to be a hell of a lot less than 3 1901 seats!

If I didn't take the kids I think I would go for the 1901 though. TGC made a good point that you have to think of the £1000 +VAT as a deposit, if not an investment. I think we would all agree that at some point the Albion will start to ascend, and the waiting list for 1901 seats will simply grow and grow. If the monthly payments did start to become unaffordable, who knows what the value of the seat will be if we're in the Championship for example. This has happened at other clubs such as Swansea and seats are auctioned for much greater than was originally paid.

I'm not for a second suggesting it is done for investment purposes, but when looking at the costs, that £1000 is as good as being in stocks and shares or a building society in my opinion.

The monthly cost is still more than an ST at present, but as others have said, I personally think for the experience you will be getting will be well worth it.:thumbsup:

D

Deleted User X18H

No, TGC was correct in what he states. Everyone who has signed up to the 1901 understands the financial commitment they have made to the club. And in my experience the club and extremely grateful to those who have signed up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not sure you're being a bit sensitive there. I agreed with the point being made in that a lot of posters are including the £1000 membership or downpayment on the seat in the calculations of what the 1901 works out per match. I know you did exclude the £1000 however.

Obviously some people have done the 1901, and some haven't, there will be tension as those justify the reasons why they have done it, and others why not. I haven't done it, I have 2 children at 4 and 6 who have from last season started coming along to the Withdean and really enjoyed it. I am a sole trader but to be honest, I would rather sit with them, than on a business level look for opportunities on a match day. I think an adult plus 2 U10's season tickets are going to be a hell of a lot less than 3 1901 seats!

If I didn't take the kids I think I would go for the 1901 though. TGC made a good point that you have to think of the £1000 +VAT as a deposit, if not an investment. I think we would all agree that at some point the Albion will start to ascend, and the waiting list for 1901 seats will simply grow and grow. If the monthly payments did start to become unaffordable, who knows what the value of the seat will be if we're in the Championship for example. This has happened at other clubs such as Swansea and seats are auctioned for much greater than was originally paid.

I'm not for a second suggesting it is done for investment purposes, but when looking at the costs, that £1000 is as good as being in stocks and shares or a building society in my opinion.

The monthly cost is still more than an ST at present, but as others have said, I personally think for the experience you will be getting will be well worth it.:thumbsup:

That's understood. But it is aside from my point.

He thought I was having a pop at people who have signed up because some may be 'too stupid to do the maths and bought into a Perry vision blindly', which wasn't the case.

D

Deleted User X18H

I know he's correct.

I also know he was missing the point I was making.

So what is the point you are making? The fact that some fans are prepared to pay a premium price for a premium match day experience?

Or the fact that some fans who have endured the dubious delights of Withdean may wish to experience watching the Albion regularly in comfort and a hospitable environment?

You have in big bold type (eventually) calculated how much each member will pay per match.

I imagine this is irrelevant to those who have signed as they will have already calculated their individual outlay. By comparison its sort of like cost per wear if you bought a bespoke suit, I would imagine.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So what is the point you are making? The fact that some fans are prepared to pay a premium price for a premium match day experience?

Or the fact that some fans who have endured the dubious delights of Withdean may wish to experience watching the Albion regularly in comfort and a hospitable environment?

No. But then someone like you would only see an argument from the viewpoint of thinking I was ONLY addressing those who have signed up. You're not going to believe this, Tiddles, but there are thousands who haven't.

I had a friend who called me last week, having had the 1901 Club membership pitched at him, and he asked my advice. I told him he probably knew more than me, as he had been to one of these pitches. He was concerned as to whether it was worth it. So we decided to go through the maths together, and he worked out it was in his price bracket and he was interested.

The point I was making is that there are some people who might appreciate a direct (or as direct as possible) comparison of a price-per-match ticket cost. The majority have worked it out. Some haven't. If some who haven't spent time to work it out are offended by those posts, let them say something.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Others, it appears, have decided to read more into it than that, including thinking that those who have bought into it were 'too stupid' and bought into it 'blindly'. That seems quite defensive to me.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You have in big bold type (eventually) calculated how much each member will pay per match.

I imagine this is irrelevant to those who have signed as they will have already calculated their individual outlay. By comparison its sort of like cost per wear if you bought a bespoke suit, I would imagine.

Of course it's irrelevant to them, but only you would be so presumptuous as to think that that post was aimed at them, and them alone.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No. But then someone like you would only see an argument from the viewpoint of thinking I was ONLY addressing those who have signed up. You're not going to believe this, Tiddles, but there are thousands who haven't.

Counter the defensive post with a bit of condescension. Nice touch.:facepalm:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

I had a friend who called me last week, having had the 1901 Club membership pitched at him, and he asked my advice. I told him he probably knew more than me, as he had been to one of these pitches. He was concerned as to whether it was worth it. So we decided to go through the maths together, and he worked out it was in his price bracket and he was interested.

The point I was making is that there are some people who might appreciate a direct (or as direct as possible) comparison of a price-per-match ticket cost. The majority have worked it out. Some haven't. If some who haven't spent time to work it out are offended by those posts, let them say something.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Others, it appears, have decided to read more into it than that, including thinking that those who have bought into it were 'too stupid' and bought into it 'blindly'. That seems quite defensive to me.

Since we are talking about price per game, the one calculation that doesn't make sense to me is "why go Gold and not Platinum?". Having decided I was going to join the 1901 it seemed silly to me not to pay the extra fiver a week to get the Platinum benefits.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Since we are talking about price per game, the one calculation that doesn't make sense to me is "why go Gold and not Platinum?". Having decided I was going to join the 1901 it seemed silly to me not to pay the extra fiver a week to get the Platinum benefits.

Surely that comes down to whether you've already stretched to breaking point to get to Gold status. If Gold already stuff's your budget, you're hardly going to pay an extra fiver per week, £20 per month, £240 per annum in that case. There will be a lot of people that consider the Gold to be say £15 per match more than what they can afford already. I think all the Platinum has sold already though when I was in the office yesterday. I think they are basically down to Gold on the wings of the stand.

Last edited:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Surely that comes down to whether you've already stretched to breaking point to get to Gold status. If Gold already stuff's your budget, you're hardly going to pay an extra fiver per week, £20 per month, £240 per annum in that case. There will be a lot of people that consider the Gold to be say £15 per match more than what they can afford already. I think all the Platinum has sold already though when I was in the office yesterday. I think they are basically down to Gold on the wings of the stand.

Of course there will be some who have done that and fair play to them. My point was really a personal one that if I am going to find the money for me and Mrs P to join the 1901 then you actually get a lot (Car parking x2 and the restaurant) for your extra fiver.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I got the Gold because by the time we got our arses into gear all the platinum had gone. I don't regret it though as the restaurant/fine dining side does not appeal to me as much as the other benefits.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Do they have a bronze one? :(

Hopefully for us mere mortals.

burger-and-chips.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here