14 games unbeaten

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not so sure about that.

We (the fans) need to remember last season for the times the team don't beat the likes of Preston.
Or as in the case of yesterday, when a very creditable away draw just doesn't quite float the boat.

How about this. 1 year ago we lost 3-2 to Bournemouth (great goals from Baldock and Colunga) who went to 2nd in the table after 15 games.
They had 27 points. Watford were top. They had 29.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I'm not saying we're going to go unbeaten all season, but I'm convinced this is our bad run. I'm also convinced CH etc were planning on the promotion push next season not this one - this season was originally meant to be about rebuilding, but it's gone much better than expected. These are the good days.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Rather worryingly I optimistically predicted we would lose our first game at Sheffield Wednesday in a poll running back in September I think........ I hope I'm wrong :ffsparr:

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7133353 said:
The thing is that by Tuesday evening we could be in 5th position with only 2 wins in 8 games...

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think Reading away was a bigger test than Sheff Weds away, we got a credible draw at Reading so see no reason why we cannot keep the run going. The key is to beat MK dons convincingly on Saturday in front of our home fans.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
14 games unbeaten at the start of the season, when we were still building not just our squad but our team, with more wins than draws is an outstanding performance(anyone know what the club record unbeaten run is?). If people expect us to stay top (and build an ever increasing lead) from game five until the end of the season then they're mental. It's possible but unlikely. Doesn't mean we won't finish top or second though. If we did manage to stay there for 42 consecutive games it would rank up there with anything this club has achieved.

People need to have a modicum of realism and enjoy the tits off this start.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Since the start of pre-season only Aberdeen ( friendly ) and Walsall ( COCup ) have beaten us.

9 more to go, to claim half a season undefeated.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd take another point at Hillsborough on Tuesday night, even though that is likely to see us knocked off top spot. Then follow that up with a two or three goal win over MK Dons on Saturday to go into the international break 16 unbeaten and top/joint top of the league.

The cream is certainly rising to the top of the division now, and we are rightly part of that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's straightforward. THIS is our chance to get promoted, we need a decent striker otherwise it probably won't happen. Blink and you miss it.

Feb 14, 2010
Good to be unbeaten but we need to win more games if we are to get promotion and to win games, we need someone who doesnt run around everywhere but instead does his work in the box. A goal scorer. Also Stockdale mistake cost us yesterday, now I know its his first of the season but last year it was a running theme. More of the same and that will be the end of promotion.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Good to be unbeaten but we need to win more games if we are to get promotion and to win games, we need someone who doesnt run around everywhere but instead does his work in the box. A goal scorer. Also Stockdale mistake cost us yesterday, now I know its his first of the season but last year it was a running theme. More of the same and that will be the end of promotion.

We've won over half our games. If we maintain our win rate we'll be promoted.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If we did manage to stay there for 42 consecutive games it would rank up there with anything this club has achieved

That would rank up there with anything any club has ever achieved in this division.

Its understandable that we all want to win every game, but even if this side has a tail off in form and slips away, there are so many positives for the future in the job that they are doing. When you consider that nobody tipped us to challenge this year, it is such a buzz seeing the big spenders having to perform week after week to stay in touch with our team that their fans grumble 'have no big names,' 'haven't played anyone good' and 'will be lucky to make the play offs.'

Feb 14, 2010
We've won over half our games. If we maintain our win rate we'll be promoted.

Started well but we need Lua Lua back if we are going to win games at home where teams will sit back. Also need a proper goal scorer, someone who does nothing but make goal scoring runs onto a through pass and who will leave a marker to find a yard in the box, and then when he shoots,calmly finds the net, not the goal post or the keepers legs with a wild swipe at the ball.

Feb 14, 2010
After keeping us in the game YET AGAIN with some outstanding stops.

Sounds harsh but saves are what he draws a wage for. He has had a good start to the season but after last season, it's still a "we shall see". Too many mistakes last season, but fair play, yesterday was his first so will let that slide. He can have one, maybe two more for the rest of the season or else its again too many. Its probably why he is in the Championship, because otherwise he seems a sound keeper.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Yesterday was my first game for an extremely long time, going all the way back to (I think) CH's first game away at Brentford in the cup nearly a year ago! It is so good to feel proud about the Albion again. We weren't perfect yesterday, but I don't think I have ever seen us so clinical in front of goal away from home, scoring a beaut with our only real chance in the game. We were a bit ponderous in possession, especially in the first half, but we had leaders all over the pitch. Defenders threw themselves in front of shots, the CMs were tenacious and hard as nails in the middle, and it all pointed to a really concerted collective effort.

I think the club has generally really struggled to live up to the Poyet era since he left the club. I'm never that convinced when managers go on about having an 'identity', I definitely thought there was a real togetherness and cohesiveness within the group under GP. Under Oscar, it was fine but a bit boring and largely a case of GP's team being enhanced with loans. Last year we don't really need to go into, but a disastrous transfer policy had predictable consequences.

I will admit to having always slightly missed the Poyet era, but now we are well and truly over it and our excellent manager has built a new team. This division is indelibly linked to Sky and is thus all about hype. Downing/Nugent at Boro, Johnson at Derby, Blackman/Vydra at Reading, even Forestieri at Sheff Wed are the kind of players they want to be talking about. Who exactly is our best player and why doesn't everyone in the division know and talk about them? Because we are a collective, only as strong as the sum of our parts. I am extremely happy at the moment, because yesterday's game would have been lost in any other season I have been watching the Albion. We are not beyond criticism, and there are games we drew that we should have won, but everyone else has been cocking up too much for me to be too concerned. It really feels like Brighton are back, and for that reason I am slightly glowing today.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Also need a proper goal scorer, someone who does nothing but make goal scoring runs onto a through pass and who will leave a marker to find a yard in the box, and then when he shoots,calmly finds the net, not the goal post or the keepers legs with a wild swipe at the ball.

What's Bobby Zamora doing these days. ?

Feb 14, 2010
What's Bobby Zamora doing these days. ?

Playing 25 minutes a game. Someone else mentioned a Ward. I would also throw in an old school player we used to love to give stick to, but who would normally score and then have a cheeky laugh...we need a "come all without, come all within, you wont see fatter than Micky Quinn." Someone like him would score a hatful. A nuisance on the shoulder of the last defender and would be in the box to knock in a tap in off his foot, head, shin or belly!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports