Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£12 ham roll and chips

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Agree with a lot of that.
It is about finding the right balance between value for money and service. A price of £12 for Ham and Chips is a ' fine dining ' price. It is what you would expect to pay in a high class pub or restaurant with rosettes, " Good Food Guide " recognition and possibly a Michelin star. It would come into the ' snacks category '
If the 1901 punters think this is the standard they are getting, then they will pay the money. Personally, it sounds a tad high to me and I wouldn't pay it. Around £8.50- £8.95 sounds the right pitch to me. At £8.50-£8.95 they would get a lot of takers.
We all know there is a high mark-up in catering and we don't know the deal the club have struck with Sodexho. We do know, however, raw material costs and we all know £12.50 is ' milking it '

Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with milking corporations and businesses as they can write it off as a business expense. The demographic of the 1901 is not exclusively businesses though, hence the problem I guess. I see on the Amex Stadium website that this is who they are aiming at http://www.amexstadium.co.uk/1901club

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
For comparison a Club Sandwich + with Chips as a side in All Bar One is £10.50. Burger with Pulled Pork in a Bun is er, £12.(although they do cheaper deals depending on time of day etc).
It would be interesting to see the full menu but the idea that this is an unusual price for the corporate hospitality areas of a football club is hard to argue about. A single bacon sandwich at Arsenal (no chips) is £8 for example..

And the Newmarket Inn (the one near the Amex ?) has very mixed views about its catering according to Trip Advisor punters, although again Trip Advisor can sometimes have quite a partial and unrepresentative view of what customers think about a hotel/restaurant.
As can NSC :)

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Having a meal at every game is not the norm, especially at the prices on offer. For a special occassion, a cup match maybe. Prices are too high and I understand that we are a captive market and its only 20 times a year, however, there are limits and its not so much the price being charged but the thought that someone is taking the p...! But two bar staff trying to serve 200 in a ten minute window at half time is never going to work and the coffee and milk, served in flasks, has run out for over two seasons now, why is this difficult to work out. The 1901 is patronised by small businessmen, tradesmen and those who are self employed and does not warrant the prices being charged. We vote with our wallets, hence not one single meal at £19 for a plate of chinese was sold in our lounge when on offer. As for the 1901s not being real fans, thats very judgemental, I could say the same of the north stand who appear to know only three songs and are constantly out sung by the opposition fans. Back in the day 35 years ago when I frequeneted the north stand it was loud varied and relevant. I think we need to see some football as this site is now turning in on itself, we are all Albion fans so lets have a positive slant on here.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
noticed that a survey has seen our pies be the most expensive at £3.80

I was under the impression though that they re voted as either the best quality, or in the top 5 at least, in the country for pies at football grounds. Think I heard that on the Albion Roar last year. People will pay extra for good quality.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why not save costs, by investing in a bacon slicer?

Due to the minimal training Sodexo give their staff I dread to think of the consequences of adding a bacon slicer to the mix. It will look like a Tarrentino movie in 1901.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Why not save costs, by investing in a bacon slicer?

I got caught with my prick in the bacon slicer at our local deli.
What happened ?

She was sacked next morning.

Well someone was going to say it....

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Simple answer don't pay it, once enough people turn their backs on these over the top prices they will eventually have to be reduced rather like what the players will be experiencing over the next few seasons if they want to carry on playing outside the premiershite

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It is all very well (and indeed a valid argument) for the club to mention FFP at every turn but they have a captive audience for the duration of games and they are failing to sell to them, either by having overly expensive offerings in the 1901 or not serving quick enough at half time in the cheap seats.

When all is said and done people will eat and drink elsewhere but the club is losing revenue.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
It's the generous legroom and the hand carved ham that gets my vote. Emirates eat your heart out. I think I'm going bonkers.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
noticed that a survey has seen our pies be the most expensive at £3.80

How much does a Piglets Pie weigh? A Pukka pie is 225g.
How much meat content is there in a Piglets Pie? A Pukka pie is around 25/30%.

I have heard the answers, but can't find them written down, but I think it is somthing like 300g & 50-60%.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I barely ever eat at the Amex. Generally speaking, as a superbly fit human being I can have my lunch at 12.30pm, and I know this will astonish some people, I can actually survive without food until gone 6pm!!

I know I know, it takes some serious conditioning to achieve this amazing feat of nutritional control, but I believe with the right mentality, and perhaps a banana in your pocket, everyone is capable of going from lunch through to tea time without food.

There I said it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As has been mentioned above, you'd only pay a couple of quid less in a lot of the better pubs. It may well prove to be over-priced and poor quality, but isn't moaning about something you haven't seen or tasted jumping the gun a little ?

It's like the infamous Jonathan Ross/Russell Brand thing where 30,000 daily mail readers were disgusted by something they hadn't heard :rolleyes:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I barely ever eat at the Amex. Generally speaking, as a superbly fit human being I can have my lunch at 12.30pm, and I know this will astonish some people, I can actually survive without food until gone 6pm!!

I know I know, it takes some serious conditioning to achieve this amazing feat of nutritional control, but I believe with the right mentality, and perhaps a banana in your pocket, everyone is capable of going from lunch through to tea time without food.

There I said it.

So that is a banana in your pocket. It had me worried.

rool

Jul 10, 2003

I thought you were just pleased to see me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Do you skip afternoon tea then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here