Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£12 ham roll and chips

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Thought they might actually sort themselves out....... mental

Half that price (or as you say throw glass of something in) and it's expensive rather than sheer lunacy

Again though if any idiots actually buy that at that price they'll keep doing it. If tesco could sell value pizza's for £20 I'm sure they would! But they'd probably call it rustic pizza obviously!

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I hope someone buys it, takes a pic and posts it on here. How can you judge the worth of something until its been seen and tested. I pay £8 for a burger in my local, they're great burgers but i sometimes eat it standing at the bar in a busy pub...£4 more sitting in a restaurant and table service...jury's out until its road tested.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I care in as much as if the club are making a fortune out of the 1901 club it might keep prices down elsewhere.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Well ... I care - if the Club is losing customers and losses are rising, because they've got the marketing strategy wrong.

Quite. Watching from afar, it does appear that things may have gone a bit awry, but then NSC is known for it's over reaction! I guess we will only know when the financial results are released that revenue from matchday eating and drinking is going down. But is there a formal process in place that enables the club to get feedback from season ticket holders, 1901 members etc on these issues?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's more than 1901 and the crap food, rip off pricing. The club seem to be pursuing an approach of jamming up prices to all fans in various forms, and this is just an extreme example. They'll continue all the time they can get away with it.

The defence is FFP, some of the mugs simply accept it but, and as I've tried unsuccessfully to suggest to Mr Barber, there are so many different ways that revenue can be raised without just putting up price and/or reducing value.

Hopefully they'll wisen up to that soon

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks. That's marvellously constructive.

I've just opened a new hypothetical restaurant. I'm going to make the parking and atmosphere terrible, the service amateurish and the menu HAM ROLL £12.

Would you a) go back week after week but bitch on trip adviser or b) never darken my door again?

does the HAM ROLL come with rustic chips?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well I am amazed, do we have a home game this week ?

Ha. It's the Bolton game. And I cannot wait to post the Sheffield Wed offerings as some NSCers will explode I think.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Quite. Watching from afar, it does appear that things may have gone a bit awry, but then NSC is known for it's over reaction! I guess we will only know when the financial results are released that revenue from matchday eating and drinking is going down. But is there a formal process in place that enables the club to get feedback from season ticket holders, 1901 members etc on these issues?

I'm not so sure about that. In the most recent financial results available (for 2011-12), there is a revenue line item for "Catering Commission" of £1,251,906 (up from just £34,834 in 2010-11 at Withdean). But, as far as I know, nobody has been able to explain exactly how the catering contract is structured, so exactly what that "Catering Commission" represents is anybody's guess. Identifying from the accounts alone what is happening to matchday catering revenue may be just about impossible.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
OK I've kept my powder dry on this up to now but it's late, I've had a beer and Question Time hasn't started yet. It's time for the rant.

If you are prepared to be told what to wear to football, to be more polite, to come out after the half time break to be greeted by a row of empty seats, to be given parking in a car park that takes an hour to clear then you deserve it. This is not football. It's barely life. If you don't like it give up the 1901 club and go back to the North or WSU and make some noise. Eat and drink in town or grab a pie on the concourse like the rest of us. If you're not prepared to do that then shut the f*** up. The club think you have more money than sense. And they're right.

Just to clarify.....

Many 1901 members are 'proper' fans.
Many have been with the club from the Goldstone, Priestfield, Withdean etc.... And still have the poncho's!
Many go to most away games
Most are in their seats before the game and at half-time

I think the fact they have chosen to pay a bit more for their seat, parking and a nice lounge is their choice and does not make them any better or worse than any other supporter in the ground.

In terms of the food, my only comment is that nobody is forcing us to buy or eat it. Personally, I think it's over priced and does not look very appetising and therefore I don't buy it, preferring a pie per game. 1901-ers you have a choice!

I still preferred the chips at Withdean!

Really all GB has demonstrated is a complete lack of knowledge of the 1901 fan-base, probably based on NSC comments.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm not so sure about that. In the most recent financial results available (for 2011-12), there is a revenue line item for "Catering Commission" of £1,251,906 (up from just £34,834 in 2010-11 at Withdean). But, as far as I know, nobody has been able to explain exactly how the catering contract is structured, so exactly what that "Catering Commission" represents is anybody's guess. Identifying from the accounts alone what is happening to matchday catering revenue may be just about impossible.

The club should know from match to match how much revenue they are getting from catering - whether they would make that information available is another matter. I seem to remember that it was mentioned that the club did not make enough themselves from the catering in the first season, hence the dumping of suppliers.

At the end of the day, it is all about finding that balance between value for money and good service to customers and maximising returns, which it appears (but I may be wrong) that the club are still trying to find. But the chopping and changing of suppliers and the changing of 1901 menu's and offerings, shows that the club are trying to do something, but maybe not getting it right and I am interested to know how they are judging whether they have it right or not - is it just on money made, or from feedback from season ticket holders and 1901 members as well?

Catering is always a difficult thing to get right - someone, somewhere will always complain about something. It is whether the complaints are going up or not that is the concern.

Re FFP - I know this mantra is rolled out all the time, but the club needs to maximise it's returns whether we have FFP or not. It is a business, afterall. FFP should not be an excuse for "ripping people off" or for falling standards of value or service. Value for money and good service will always prevail, FFP or not.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The club should know from match to match how much revenue they are getting from catering - whether they would make that information available is another matter. I seem to remember that it was mentioned that the club did not make enough themselves from the catering in the first season, hence the dumping of suppliers.

At the end of the day, it is all about finding that balance between value for money and good service to customers and maximising returns, which it appears (but I may be wrong) that the club are still trying to find. But the chopping and changing of suppliers and the changing of 1901 menu's and offerings, shows that the club are trying to do something, but maybe not getting it right and I am interested to know how they are judging whether they have it right or not - is it just on money made, or from feedback from season ticket holders and 1901 members as well?

Catering is always a difficult thing to get right - someone, somewhere will always complain about something. It is whether the complaints are going up or not that is the concern.

Re FFP - I know this mantra is rolled out all the time, but the club needs to maximise it's returns whether we have FFP or not. It is a business, afterall. FFP should not be an excuse for "ripping people off" or for falling standards of value or service. Value for money and good service will always prevail, FFP or not.

Agree with a lot of that.
It is about finding the right balance between value for money and service. A price of £12 for Ham and Chips is a ' fine dining ' price. It is what you would expect to pay in a high class pub or restaurant with rosettes, " Good Food Guide " recognition and possibly a Michelin star. It would come into the ' snacks category '
If the 1901 punters think this is the standard they are getting, then they will pay the money. Personally, it sounds a tad high to me and I wouldn't pay it. Around £8.50- £8.95 sounds the right pitch to me. At £8.50-£8.95 they would get a lot of takers.
We all know there is a high mark-up in catering and we don't know the deal the club have struck with Sodexho. We do know, however, raw material costs and we all know £12.50 is ' milking it '

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have a pie and a drink same as I used to on the concourse and same price.

My choice

What is all the fuss about?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I don't imagine there's a business on the planet that expects to sell products to 20,000 people in 15 minutes.

No there isn't but with a little bit of thought and planning, a lot of the queueing time could be improved.
All the concourse kiosks have everyone queueing for everything. Why not have either dedicated hot drink aisles or free-standing hot drink trolleys. Some punters are queueing for nothing but a tea/coffee/chocolate/bovril. They are waiting behind people who are multiple purchasing beers and hot food etc. It can take 2-3 minutes to serve some of these ' bulk buys '
Why not have two or three dedicated aisles. Its not rocket science.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I don't imagine there's a business on the planet that expects to sell products to 20,000 people in 15 minutes.

But they could up the actual number from, say, 5,000, to 7,500 if they knew in advance what flavour pies were for sale, and poured pints with a bit of head instead of the other way round.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If the 1901 lads and lasses are 'normal' fans then let them behave like normal fans. Drink some beer, have a pie and then drink some more beer. Sitting down for a meal at football ? Ok on a corporate jolly but not the norm.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yeah we get it.....some of you have paid allot of money to go in the 1901 club. Well done you, you must feel very important!

Is there any need to start a thread reminding us mere mortals that you are infinitely better than us every single ****ing week?

There is a very simple answer to the problems with the grub and/or the price of it.....if you don't like don't buy it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here