Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1 million youth unemployed

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Cutting public sector spending so quickly was a huge mistake, with no real plan to stimulate private sector business which is hugely inluenced by spending within the public sector.

It has destroyed the Industry I work in, all the UK manufacturers are dying as their pockets empty after 3 years of huge loses only to be replaced by far East and European companies. Prices of raw materials and energy and fuel rising with margins falling.

If you are young or over 55 it must be very tough at the moment to get a job.

I would rather pay a bit more tax and have everybody employed and be safe in a job than the govermant decimate spending.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cutting public sector spending so quickly was a huge mistake, with no real plan to stimulate private sector business which is hugely inluenced by spending within the public sector.

It has destroyed the Industry I work in, all the UK manufacturers are dying as their pockets empty after 3 years of huge loses only to be replaced by far East and European companies. Prices of raw materials and energy and fuel rising with margins falling.

I would rather pay a bit more tax and have everybody employed and be safe in a job than the govermant decimate spending.

Quite, cutting public sector budgets has simply resulted in huge swathes of people moving from governemet paid salary to benefits. George's plan A is, in some respects, failing on it's own merits.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

I have a lot of sympathy with those out of work, but have you not seen what is going on in the likes of greece/italy/spain/portugal and maybe soon france ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We're all worried about how our kids and their kids are going to get by. The world seems a scary economic place. But at the same time, there's smaller and smaller wars, longer and longer lifespans, science is getting ever smarter. It'll all sort itself out. Because it has to.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
One fact which seems to have gone totally unnoticed: today the Spanish, Italians and the French had to pay record high interest rates on their bonds. The UK also had a debt auction today, paying record low interest rates with double the number of buyers compared with gilts offered. The simple fact is that we are saving billions and billions of pounds in debt interest, which will far outstrip the increased unemployment costs.

We, or rather I should say those of you who are middle-aged and above, continually voted for governments who proposed to (and in fact did) run our country on a budget deficit. This always made us subject to whims of the international financial markets. What did you honestly believe was going to happen? The Chinese would continue to buy our debt and let us be profligate to the point of extreme, our people enjoying services their's could only dream of. I'm afraid this was always going happen and blaming one government of one particular colour is the easy way out. The responsibility lies with the people, who were quite happy to use services that consecutive governments funded with money we never actually had, but now feel outraged at the suggestion the country should live within its means. You've left us (the under-30s) in a miserable situation. This is a case of one generation failing another, not a government failing its people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Your Newhaven "bumpkin" urban accent , or the sort of fake urban accent where you'd say "blud" at the end ?

Should you tread in my hometown 'hood you'd know that these are one and the same.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
One fact which seems to have gone totally unnoticed: today the Spanish, Italians and the French had to pay record high interest rates on their bonds. The UK also had a debt auction today, paying record low interest rates with double the number of buyers compared with gilts offered. The simple fact is that we are saving billions and billions of pounds in debt interest, which will far outstrip the increased unemployment costs.

We, or rather I should say those of you who are middle-aged and above, continually voted for governments who proposed to (and in fact did) run our country on a budget deficit. This always made us subject to whims of the international financial markets. What did you honestly believe was going to happen? The Chinese would continue to buy our debt and let us be profligate to the point of extreme, our people enjoying services their's could only dream of. I'm afraid this was always going happen and blaming one government of one particular colour is the easy way out. The responsibility lies with the people, who were quite happy to use services that consecutive governments funded with money we never actually had, but now feel outraged at the suggestion the country should live within its means. You've left us (the under-30s) in a miserable situation. This is a case of one generation failing another, not a government failing its people.

Yes nasty old gits. Even paid for WWII with loans fools the lot of them.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Read the first page, got bored, skipped to the end.

As someone who occasionally has to employ people, usually on a contract basis, sometimes on permanent, can I just say that I have noticed that the vast majority of applicants that are getting filtered through to me by the agencies are migrant workers. Not a complaint, just an observation.

I'm in software testing btw (no, not games). Get yourselves ISEB certified and I'm sure someone'll employ you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a lot of sympathy with those out of work, but have you not seen what is going on in the likes of greece/italy/spain/portugal and maybe soon france ?

dont forget the Irish.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...The responsibility lies with the people, who were quite happy to use services that consecutive governments funded with money we never actually had, but now feel outraged at the suggestion the country should live within its means. You've left us (the under-30s) in a miserable situation. This is a case of one generation failing another, not a government failing its people.

We elect governments and pay civil servants to manage this sort of thing. It is not my responsibility to micro-manage the economy!

Governments, and most noteably Gordon Brown (with his gold selling, PFI, and massive boom in spending) are responsible for the depth of this mess.

"The end of Tory boom and bust"... my arse!

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
we have a company up here that has 43 static homes and the actually advertise in Poland for workers and pay for them to fly over here and then there are 5 taxi drivers like me going to Luton airport two or three times a week taking and fetching Polish people for this company and they are on a winner as they charge them rent as well as having them there 24 hrs a day to work...

Our local hospital has got to a stage where it will only employ Polish people just so they can communicate with the Polish patients as our town is down to 40% english in it

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Labour: Out of control un regulated spending

Conservatives: Cut everything right back straight away

Result: Us wankers in the middle getting totaly screwed

Yes we need to live within our means but the Torries cut to much to quickly. We are not Greece, Italy etc and a more measured middle path would have worked.

We never realy came out of recession now we are heading back into something worse again. Inflenced by the Euro zone but more by these clowns at Westminster.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Labour: Out of control un regulated spending

Conservatives: Cut everything right back straight away

Result: Us wankers in the middle getting totaly screwed

Yes we need to live within our means but the Torries cut to much to quickly. We are not Greece, Italy etc and a more measured middle path would have worked.

We never realy came out of recession now we are heading back into something worse again. Inflenced by the Euro zone but more by these clowns at Westminster.

So now its ONLY influenced by the Euro zone. Interesting these clowns are the ones that are getting the lowest interest on debts. Something is working if not the population!

Ask yourself would Labour be doing any better?

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
What's worse is that their not in education or training, they could be unemployed for the rest of their lives costing the government billions.

Not all their fault though as theirs no-one willing to take them on in a apprenticeship because it's too expensive for the amount of effort it takes. You're not aloud to train someone while working and pay them £4 an hour because of the minimum wage.

It's easier for young (and old) people to be on benefits rather than get a job because income tax is so harsh and benefits so kind.

Also unemployment mainly looks worse now because people have moved from Incapacity benefit to Job-seekers allowance - don't vote Labour.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We're all worried about how our kids and their kids are going to get by. The world seems a scary economic place. But at the same time, there's smaller and smaller wars, longer and longer lifespans, science is getting ever smarter. It'll all sort itself out. Because it has to.

You've copy and pasted nick cleggs manifesto there. Least u could do is acknowledge ;)

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
As the manager of a small engineering company most of the young ppl i have interviewed are almost unemployable in any capacity, as most dress like tramps and cannot fill in an application form using a pen.
That doesn't come with a spell checker attached

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As the manager of a small engineering company most of the young ppl i have interviewed are almost unemployable in any capacity, as most dress like tramps and cannot fill in an application form using a pen.

What about a grammar checker?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

People, capital i, full stop at the end of a sentence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here