Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Formula 1 2019

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes.
And you're making an argument that winners in that situation would just sit at the side of the track with their engine running, watching all the other competitors race by, hoping that a marshal turns up telling them they can carry on. That's a terrible argument.

Nope I have never seen a driver at the top of his game come back onto the track like that, they tend to see the gap and take it without taking the risk of being t boned. Perhaps you’d like to tell me the last time a feck up like that happened to a top driver in F1. Going off the track happens in most Grand Prixs and I cannot remember the last time it happened and the driver ended up with a 10 second stop go penalty.

Next you’ll be telling me the red mist that descended in Baku (I think) when he drove alongside Hamilton and steered into him was normal for a winner.

I know you don’t like to give up on an argument but do yourself a favour and hold your hands up and admit you’ve got it wrong in this instance.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He is a winner. Just because he hasn't won a race this season doesn't suddenly mean he's not a winner.

Yes.
And you're making an argument that winners in that situation would just sit at the side of the track with their engine running, watching all the other competitors race by, hoping that a marshal turns up telling them they can carry on. That's a terrible argument.

They're not looking to make their day worse by crashing. I seem to recall Hamilton spinning off last season in the British Grand Prix, didn't panic, rejoined in last place.

Mine is such a terrible argument that you must have plenty of examples of winning drivers going off track, and from a spin or stationary position colliding with another car on their return, because of their winning mentality.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nope I have never seen a driver at the top of his game come back onto the track like that, they tend to see the gap and take it without taking the risk of being t boned.
That's if they're in a position to see.
Perhaps you’d like to tell me the last time a feck up like that happened to a top driver in F1
Well Stroll went and did the same thing a few seconds later. How about you show me the last time a top driver sat there waiting for the entire field to pass before trying to rejoin.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mine is such a terrible argument that you must have plenty of examples of winning drivers going off track, and from a spin or stationary position colliding with another car on their return, because of their winning mentality.
You don't seem to understand this at all. Presumably you have plenty of examples of winners sat there waiting for the entire field to pass before trying to rejoin, despite there being gaps in the field.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's if they're in a position to see.
Well Stroll went and did the same thing a few seconds later. How about you show me the last time a top driver sat there waiting for the entire field to pass before trying to rejoin.

Now you’re being silly. Stroll is not and never will be a world champ, his father owns the team and that’s the only reason he’s got the drive. He would have lost his F1 drive this season if it wasn’t his father who bought the team.

Who has suggested Vettel should have waited for the entire field to pass? You WAIT and make the move when there is gap. If he’d waited a second or two longer he could probably have rejoined without incident. If the cars were all following closely then yes he’d have had to wait until they all went past. There is no excuse for what he did and I’m still waiting for you to tell me the last time a TOP driver did the same.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
British Grand Prix 2018. :lolol:
Hamilton spun on the third corner, got the car going, and drove straight back onto the track. You think that was a similar situation to Vettel's yesterday?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now you’re being silly. Stroll is not and never will be a world champ, his father owns the team and that’s the only reason he’s got the drive.
He was the youngest rookie to ever finish on the podium. He may not become an F1 world champion, but he's proven himself as a good racer, winning other championships. You're the one being silly suggesting that his actions somehow don't count.

Who has suggested Vettel should have waited for the entire field to pass? You WAIT and make the move when there is gap.
He couldn't ****ing see!
If he’d waited a second or two longer he could probably have rejoined without incident.
Yes, there was a gap behind Stroll and he could have joined then, but he didn't know that, he couldn't see. Otherwise of course he'd have waited. You're suggesting he saw Stroll and thought 'hey, let's have a crash!'?

I’m still waiting for you to tell me the last time a TOP driver did the same.
Most F1 drivers are top drivers, including Lance Stroll. I'm still waiting for you to tell me of a situation like that where the driver didn't try and rejoin.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hamilton spun on the third corner, got the car going, and drove straight back onto the track. You think that was a similar situation to Vettel's yesterday?

Oh dear...I suppose you'll tell me this isn't a racing driver waiting for the field to pass so they can rejoin safely in last place?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He couldn't ****ing see!

Most F1 drivers are top drivers, including Lance Stroll. I'm still waiting for you to tell me of a situation like that where the driver didn't try and rejoin.

You’re being very naive believing Vettel’s excuse about not being able to see

I cannot think of a single incident where a top driver has done what Vettel did so how the feck am I supposed to be able to answer the question?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh dear...I suppose you'll tell me this isn't a racing driver waiting for the field to pass so they can rejoin safely in last place?
Yes. He's just finished going backwards, changed his gears down, and is ready to start moving forwards as the last couple of cars come past. He can also see the cars in front of him, so if he could have got out a second earlier, he'd have known there was no gap. Vettel couldn't see whether or not there was a gap.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I cannot think of a single incident where a top driver has done what Vettel did so how the feck am iI supposed to be able to answer the question?

Surely incumbent on [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] to come up with all these examples of drivers rejoining the track and cleaning out a car already on it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's not his excuse, it's what I and the commentator thought at the time. I haven't heard him comment on it.

I cannot think of a single incident where a top driver has done what Vettel did so how the feck am iI supposed to be able to answer the question?
Eh? You can't think of an incident where a top driver has spun out, yet you want me to show you an example of them doing so and then rejoining when it's not safe?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely incumbent on [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] to come up with all these examples of drivers rejoining the track and cleaning out a car already on it?
I've said why I understand his gamble. If you're claiming that others wouldn't have done the same, but instead they'd have waited, then it's incumbent on you to show me where they've done so. And Hamilton at the British GP last season is clearly nothing like it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's not his excuse, it's what I and the commentator thought at the time. I haven't heard him comment on it.

Eh? You can't think of an incident where a top driver has spun out, yet you want me to show you an example of them doing so and then rejoining when it's not safe?

No I remember plenty of incidents where a top driver has spun off I just don’t remember one where the driver came back and set himself up to be t boned. You think it was an OK move so it’s up to you to find the time it happened with another top driver.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've said why I understand his gamble. If you're claiming that others wouldn't have done the same, but instead they'd have waited, then it's incumbent on you to show me where they've done so. And Hamilton at the British GP last season is clearly nothing like it.

If others would do the same and have done, we'd have plenty of examples of cars rejoining the track and colliding with cars already on it.

Hamilton's is clearly similar, he's spun out, he could have easily lit up the tyres and attempted to rejoin the track, he could have blended in like from a slip road where he was, but he didn't he waited, accepted it and rejoined safely. Nothing like it - you are hilarious when you get going.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Vettels spin and subsequent dangerous re-entry are symptomatic of his mental state because he is getting creamed by Jean Girard every week. Actions of a winner my arse. He is a long way second of 2 in a 2 man race at the minute.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No I remember plenty of incidents where a top driver has spun off I just don’t remember one where the driver came back and set himself up to be t boned.
So show me the ones where those drivers have sat there watching 15 cars pass them before rejoining.
You think it was an OK move
You can't even read.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If others would do the same and have done, we'd have plenty of examples of cars rejoining the track and colliding with cars already on it.
First we need examples of where the driver can't see whether other cars are coming or not. Then, you'll either have examples of drivers joining without being sure if a car is coming, or you'll have examples of drivers sat at the side waiting for everyone to pass.

Hamilton's is clearly similar, he's spun out, he could have easily lit up the tyres and attempted to rejoin the track, he could have blended in like from a slip road where he was, but he didn't he waited, accepted it and rejoined safely. Nothing like it
No, it is nothing like it. Vettel's was was several laps in, and there were some gaps between the cars, while Hamilton's was on the 3rd corner of the first lap, with no gaps. If Hamilton had floored it, he may have joined in 2 cars from the back (and caused a collision), whereas Vettel would have joined in 7th if he hadn't collided. But the biggest difference is that while Hamilton could see clearly, Vettel couldn't see whether or not someone was coming.
you are hilarious when you get going.
That's rich coming from you.

Earlier this year Ricciardo reversed into Kvyat while trying to rejoin the track. He should have taken a little more care too.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
First we need examples of where the driver can't see whether other cars are coming or not. Then, you'll either have examples of drivers joining without being sure if a car is coming, or you'll have examples of drivers sat at the side waiting for everyone to pass.

No, it is nothing like it. Vettel's was was several laps in, and there were some gaps between the cars, while Hamilton's was on the 3rd corner of the first lap, with no gaps. If Hamilton had floored it, he may have joined in 2 cars from the back (and caused a collision), whereas Vettel would have joined in 7th if he hadn't collided. But the biggest difference is that while Hamilton could see clearly, Vettel couldn't see whether or not someone was coming.
That's rich coming from you.

Earlier this year Ricciardo reversed into Kvyat while trying to rejoin the track. He should have taken a little more care too.

It’s hilarious because you ask for an example of a driver spinning off and waiting to rejoin last, you’re given one but it doesn’t fit your specific criteria. Of course it’s different, unless we have to find examples only on the ascari.

Vettel is in the worse form of his career. He’s in a fast Ferrari for 2 years and cannot handle it. The pressure is getting to him and he’s making rookie errors. A winning driver may spin with no one around. A driver may rejoin the track unsafely, but very rare they’d make 2 major errors in succession like that.

You may say a winning driver takes the risk, but in Canada Hamilton didn’t take the risk, he backed out to avoid a collision with a driver rejoining the track unsafely. There is a big difference in risk mentality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here