Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Some Palace Fans Think The Rivalry is Over

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Who invented this 'M23 derby' thing ? That was irking me today.

It isn't the strangest rivalry either. I reckon that's Wycombe Wanderers v Colchester United.

I wonder how many other two way rivalries there are in England. Can't be more than, say, 15 ?
I don't see that there is any strangeness about it.... Palace are geographically the closest ( aside from newbies in Crawley).... plus the added spice of the Mullery/ Venables games.... and the 70s and early 80s hooligan factor.... It all adds up to a rivalry in my book.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Even when we’ve been beaten by Palace repeatedly and painfully I’d never claim that the rivalry doesn’t matter.

I’ve got some Palace supporting pals and it matters to them just as much. Claiming that there isn’t a different level of pain when losing to Palace or them to us is just untrue.

As Ive got older I’ve imprinted this onto my kids (whether Brighton or Essex born) and I expect them to pass it down to their own offspring in due course. What else are you going to do? Football is a gladiatorial contest and if you don’t loathe one opponent in particular with a proper level of ire it would be a drab affair indeed. Just because our supporters don’t try and murder each other like we used to doesn’t mean we don’t care anymore.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't see that there is any strangeness about it.... Palace are geographically the closest ( aside from newbies in Crawley).... plus the added spice of the Mullery/ Venables games.... and the 70s and early 80s hooligan factor.... It all adds up to a rivalry in my book.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Maybe newbies to the EFL but the club was founded in 1896!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
But I think we're in the minority though to be honest..our son is 13 and whilst he gets it and knows how big it is, its not the first thought in his mind when Palarse rolls around, possibly because none of his mates (local born and raised) are Brighton fans...They support Chelski, Manure and are watching Bayern and etc. so he doesn't have other mates who "get it" either to discuss it with...
My three get it. They won’t even wear combinations of red and blue clothes because of the rivalry. The highlight of the game, other than the goals, was seeing Knocky kick their skipper in the nads.

:lolol:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I grew up with it as well but feel at times it is over done , especially some of the singing at other non related games when we should be supporting our own team , that said the 'rivalry' generated yesterday's amazing atmosphere which is close to the best match day experience I have had....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

It irritates me more than it should when fans try to squeeze more syllables into a song than fits. Near the start of the game in this video they're singing a song for Zaha (2 syllables). The song is Na-Na Na Na Hey hey hey goodbye. Goodbye is two syllables. It should be a perfect fit. But no, there are so many Zahas in football it is essential they add 'Wilf' in there. "Na-Na Na Na Hey hey hey Wilf Zaha" !! :facepalm::nono:punish::annoyed:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The more recent and younger Palace and BHA fans won't know or understand the reasons why...it will meander on with the older lot, and be resigned to history at some point in time...Most of the players are even too young to know exactly why, but will I'm sure have had it explained to them..The personal nature of the rivalry will not be there for many soon...
That makes no sense.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I do t know about dead but that was the flattest “rivals” game I think I’ve ever been to. No buzz in the palace end before during or real anger afterwards.

The palace players obviously don’t get it and it showed.

About 6 of us went down to watch East Grinstead v Hythe and we all just shrugged our shoulders at went oh well another home defeat and enjoyed a second half of Bostick south football.

Now I am off to watch Dormansland v Caterham in the semi
Final of the Surrey cup.

Anyway I digress ... it could be the 12.30 KO or the fact that survival in the premier league is given higher priority, it was just
All a bit Meh... which is a shame especially as the crowd against Man U was a lot better ??

All a bit meh ?

Not where I was standing/bouncing/joining mass pile-ups over the seats/laughing at Wilf...........etc

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It irritates me more than it should when fans try to squeeze more syllables into a song than fits. Near the start of the game in this video they're singing a song for Zaha (2 syllables). The song is Na-Na Na Na Hey hey hey goodbye. Goodbye is two syllables. It should be a perfect fit. But no, there are so many Zahas in football it is essential they add 'Wilf' in there. "Na-Na Na Na Hey hey hey Wilf Zaha" !! :facepalm::nono:punish::annoyed:

listen carefully at 4.37 need headphones PRICELESS

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Let's face the facts that a lot of their lot will say it doesn't matter any more until they get back into winning ways against US! They are just licking their wounds. I bet their attitude would change if ( and it's a BIG IF) we both progress in the F.A Cup and meet in the semi-final or final.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
As much as I don't want to defend them, our version of that song squeezes 'Brighton and Hove Albion' into those two syllables...

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here