Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Amazing scenes at MIGHTY Leeds

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's no different to the laws as they were until a year or two ago. Often on TV commentators would query why someone who is injured and has received treatment is forced to leave the pitch. That law was introduced to reduce the amount of feigning injuries to waste time. I seem to remember it being a big problem at one of the world cups in the 90s. However, the law as it was written was not often followed correctly. It was written such that no treatment was supposed to take place. If a player was injured, or "injured", they had to leave the pitch for any treatment. But refs allowed a bit of treatment on pitch and then forced players off. I believe the law has since been amended, but I can't remember off the top of my head exactly how, just that it isn't so clearly different to how it is implemented any more.

Agree, but the suggestion was that a player had to leave the field of play for a specified period of time. All this would result in is genuinely injured players playing through an injury, possibly making it worse, while the cheats would still take their chances, if they felt feigning the injury would benefit their team.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
This and totally this. The referee should go into both teams changing rooms before the start of the game and remind them to play to the whistle. End of.

I would also introduce a rule that if any player approached the ref and gave him an earful or the card symbol, give them a yellow card. The referee's should be in charge of the game, not the players.

This!

Plus the stupid hugging at corners business. A couple of games with 3 v 4 left on the pitch and it would suddenly all stop!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The solution is crushingly simple. Players do NOT take it upon themselves to put the ball out of play so that someone can receive treatment, it should 100% be at the referees discretion. You play on until the ref decides otherwise. There is absolutely NO reason for players to take it upon themselves to decide if someone rolling around needs the trainer on.

Play on until the ref calls it. Whats so hard about that ?

If a player is rolling around, they're not genuinely injured imo. The time to worry is when they are completely still. It has to be the officials call.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
So what if any player decides they want to stop the game if the opposition is on the attack. Someone can just roll around in the middle of the park. With all the injury feigning that goes on, can easily happen. Then all the players jump around incandescent with rage at the apparent fake injury and the other team not 'doing the right thing', the crowd as well.

Said it before (and apologies if someone else has on here), let the physio come on while the game is still in play. Just like Rugby. So feckin simple!!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If a player is rolling around, they're not genuinely injured imo. The time to worry is when they are completely still. It has to be the officials call.

This was certainly my experience during my reffing days. It was always the players that remained still that you had to worry about. Those doing rolly-over were never seriously hurt.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Did anyone get a bet on Villa for the next goal amongst all that?

See previous posts, the market was suspended when Leeds scored and, due to the shenanigans in the aftermath, didn't re-open before Villa walked through their goal.

I'd backed O1.5 goals and, once Leeds scored and the market had settled down, would ordinarily have layed O1.5 to lock in a profit. As the market never reopened, I didn't need to do the lay so watched the walk through unfold and got max profit from it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
See previous posts, the market was suspended when Leeds scored and, due to the shenanigans in the aftermath, didn't re-open before Villa walked through their goal.

I'd backed O1.5 goals and, once Leeds scored and the market had settled down, would ordinarily have layed O1.5 to lock in a profit. As the market never reopened, I didn't need to do the lay so watched the walk through unfold and got max profit from it.

Thought as much.

Apologies for laziness in not reading through the thread.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The solution is crushingly simple. Players do NOT take it upon themselves to put the ball out of play so that someone can receive treatment, it should 100% be at the referees discretion. You play on until the ref decides otherwise. There is absolutely NO reason for players to take it upon themselves to decide if someone rolling around needs the trainer on.

Play on until the ref calls it. Whats so hard about that ?

Came on here purely to say this.

It's ridiculous - given how fast paced and chaotic football is - that football players (with all their years of medical training...) be expected to judge the severity of an injury to another player WHILE PLAYING and then choose whether to kick it out or not. It HAS to be the officials decision.

Doesn't even have to be the ref if they're busy with the ongoing game, the 4th official can make the call. Whoever, just not the players. Ridiculous that this element of the game has been left so messy.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I know I am getting old and my memory isn't what it was, but I can't ever remember a 'bad' injury where the ref hasn't blown up immediately.

I think that every time I have seen players going down and then pressurising the other team to put the ball out, it's been cheating and the player is up again after a few seconds. (And is also used to put more pressure on the ref for not giving a foul). If the ref doesn't blow play on. Simple.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Think I am more in admiration of Sheffield United's achievement than even laughing at Leeds. For a club whose budget is in the bottom third in the Championship promotion for the second time in three years is incredible.

The Blades will instantly be made relegation favourites, just behind whoever stays up out of us and Cardiff. But Chris Wilder is a truly exceptional manager, and the recruitment at Bramall Lane, especially of UK players, has been second to none. The way they spent the David Brooks money has got them up, and players like Jack O'Connell (man of the match on Saturday with a goal and an assist from centre back, and a fantastic season) was plucked out of Brentford reserves.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Villa put the ball out of play when the Leeds player was down, establishing a precedent.
2. Leeds carry on the first time Kodjia got injured. That angered Villa so Leeds were warned.
3. Leeds then mug Villa off for the Klich goal. Despite it obviously being unsportsmanlike 100% of the home crowd continue to laugh at Villa's misfortune and celebrate like it's 1999.
4. Bamford then feigns injury to get the Villa player sent off, doing this to gain a second advantage.
5. Even after Bielsa instructs his team not to challenge Adomah for the goal Pontus Jansson tries his level best to prevent the player scoring, then rows with his own teammates.

All of this goes to show that - as history tells us - Leeds are c*nts.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So what if any player decides they want to stop the game if the opposition is on the attack. Someone can just roll around in the middle of the park. With all the injury feigning that goes on, can easily happen. Then all the players jump around incandescent with rage at the apparent fake injury and the other team not 'doing the right thing', the crowd as well.

Said it before (and apologies if someone else has on here), let the physio come on while the game is still in play. Just like Rugby. So feckin simple!!

Where I think this was different from typical playing on scenarios, is that Leeds feigned to put the ball out and gained an advantage through ungentlemanly conduct, same as if you shouted 'my ball' to deceive opponents. The worse culprit was Tyler Roberts who actually put his hand up to acknowledge the injury, looked like he was stopping to put it out, but passed it down the line!

The referee may have been happy to play on, but by making it look like you're putting it out, then intentionally using that deception to your advantage, that is pretty low. Not sure there is an issue if Leeds had just played on.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
1. Villa put the ball out of play when the Leeds player was down, establishing a precedent.
2. Leeds carry on the first time Kodjia got injured. That angered Villa so Leeds were warned.
3. Leeds then mug Villa off for the Klich goal. Despite it obviously being unsportsmanlike 100% of the home crowd continue to laugh at Villa's misfortune and celebrate like it's 1999.
4. Bamford then feigns injury to get the Villa player sent off, doing this to gain a second advantage.
5. Even after Bielsa instructs his team not to challenge Adomah for the goal Pontus Jansson tries his level best to prevent the player scoring, then rows with his own teammates.

All of this goes to show that - as history tells us - Leeds are c*nts.

Leeds #togethernot

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Where I think this was different from typical playing on scenarios, is that Leeds feigned to put the ball out and gained an advantage through ungentlemanly conduct, same as if you shouted 'my ball' to deceive opponents. The worse culprit was Tyler Roberts who actually put his hand up to acknowledge the injury, looked like he was stopping to put it out, but passed it down the line!

The referee may have been happy to play on, but by making it look like you're putting it out, then intentionally using that deception to your advantage, that is pretty low. Not sure there is an issue if Leeds had just played on.

This... You should always play to the whistle, but when Leeds 'acknowledge' the injury rather than waiting for the ref to step in, they should follow through, not change their mind and thus deceive the opposition.

Had Leeds played on normally then I would actually be siding with them... no whistle, no problem... but because of their own actions they have damned themselves in my view.

The EFL should immediately rescind the Villa Red and apply a retrospective Red to Bamford for simulation (with the same 3 game ban that El Gharzi would have had!).
And IMO, Jansson shouldn't be involved in the remaining games or the playoffs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
One things for certain the assistant advising the ref on the Bamford incident needs a trip to the opticians

i would be genuinely concerned about that, because he got fooled (i assume obviously, off TV wasnt it?) and got the wrong player, who by my reckoning was about 20 yds away.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This... You should always play to the whistle, but when Leeds 'acknowledge' the injury rather than waiting for the ref to step in, they should follow through, not change their mind and thus deceive the opposition.

Had Leeds played on normally then I would actually be siding with them... no whistle, no problem... but because of their own actions they have damned themselves in my view.

The EFL should immediately rescind the Villa Red and apply a retrospective Red to Bamford for simulation (with the same 3 game ban that El Gharzi would have had!).
And IMO, Jansson shouldn't be involved in the remaining games or the playoffs.

agree re bamford and el gharzi.........not with jansson. also the ref and lino can go and officiate in div 2 for a month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here