Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dele Alli

owenthemonkey

Aug 17, 2011
Does anybody actually know the issue with Dele Alli ?

I don’t and I’m pretty sure nobody else on here does either.

His form has dipped hugely but there must be more to it than being a ‘dickhead’ as people have labelled him on here.

Perhaps he has just fallen out of love with the game, it happens.

But if anybody has any facts then please enlighten me.

Multiple reasons. He has started to dip to the end of the Poch era, but then there was no investment and the same 11 had been trotting out for best part of three years. Eriksen success was a big part of Alli success and when Eriksen binned off playing for the last 6 months at Spurs Alli wasn’t getting service. Then various managers came in with different systems which didn’t get the best out of him. He’s a late arriving 10 who is great supporting a pivotal striker, but not so creative. Also someone mentioned lazy which is unfair as only recently when played he covered lots of ground, just doesn’t have the talent on the ball. The fact that very questionable players such as Winks and Hojberg get ahead of him says something about his ability as a midfielder.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
If GP can turn Dan Burn into a LWB, maybe he could convert Dele into a CF?

I cant believe there isnt more love for him, Just for his wonder goal against Palace.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
From a very good article in last weekend's Sunday Times

Screenshot_20220126-175813_The Times.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Used to score for fun a few years back but slid from his glory days, he'd not make it to our team due to his workrate.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Definitely a challenge and the sort of player on his day 3 years ago could change a game so at 25 still plenty of potential IF GP wants him and thinks he can handle him....

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Funny how all those on here who have labelled him a dickhead have not offered up any explanation or evidence as to why ?

I don't think he's a dickhead but he has been involved in some pretty ****ish goal celebrations. Well, when he was involved in goals regularly anyway.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A year ago I was very vocal about Jesse Lingard being exactly what you've written there. I thought he was rubbish and would offer nothing to any team he went to, other than disrupting the dressing room with his childish antics. Then he battered in a really impressive run of goals and assists and shut me right up. If Dele Alli came to us and had half the impact Lingard had on West Ham, and I thoroughly believe our team is just as good now as theirs was last season, then we'll finish in the top 10.

See, I’ve always rated Jesse, particularly from his time with us when he was effectively learning the game. He always took up good positions and had clever movement.

Alli, IMO, has talent, but lacks a lot of the attributes Lingaard has, and has developed further over time. All I see with Alli is a player who shows fewer and fewer glimpses, to the point that successive managers don’t play him….. and he is a classic example of living on past performances.

Again, opinions, but he certainly isn’t better than MacAllister or in fact any of our current midfield/offensive starters, so I’m not sure why we’d bother.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
See, I’ve always rated Jesse, particularly from his time with us when he was effectively learning the game. He always took up good positions and had clever movement.

Alli, IMO, has talent, but lacks a lot of the attributes Lingaard has, and has developed further over time. All I see with Alli is a player who shows fewer and fewer glimpses, to the point that successive managers don’t play him….. and he is a classic example of living on past performances.

Again, opinions, but he certainly isn’t better than MacAllister or in fact any of our current midfield/offensive starters, so I’m not sure why we’d bother.

Personally, I went the other way on Lingard. I thought he was a luxury player who rarely influenced a game and seemed far more determined to work on his celebrations than his footballing ability. I didn't like all the pratting about off the pitch but in his defence, all that noise has quietened down and he showed at West Ham that he's a real player when his head is right and he's up for it.

I don't see a role for Dele Alli at Brighton, forget all the financial issues - I'm not sure how we get him in the team or how we keep him in the team. I don't think he would benefit from joining a club where he'd have to fight his way into the team, because there's nothing in his recent history which suggests he's in any position to earn his place. If the club get the deal done then I hope he can get back to where he was 3/4 years ago - but personally, I would rather we allow Mac Allister to develop and kept giving Alzate game time in the positions that those players excel.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Seems unlikely, but he clearly needs a move somewhere, and if he is serious about getting his career back on track rather than just earning the big bucks at a big club then I can't think of a better place for him to do it than at Brighton.

He's one of those that if he did come here it would presumably be for the right reasons, which means it would probably work out well. I expect Newcastle or West Ham or someone will come in and pay him silly money, and that will be that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Alex Crook who has been reporting on the Burn story, says no interest in Alli from Brighton ..

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Seems unlikely, but he clearly needs a move somewhere, and if he is serious about getting his career back on track rather than just earning the big bucks at a big club then I can't think of a better place for him to do it than at Brighton.

He's one of those that if he did come here it would presumably be for the right reasons, which means it would probably work out well. I expect Newcastle or West Ham or someone will come in and pay him silly money, and that will be that.

You're right from his point of view, but what's in it for us? It's not our job to reboot the failing career of another club's player at the expense of one of our own.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Alex Crook who has been reporting on the Burn story, says no interest in Alli from Brighton ..

You don't mean...... someone's makingit up! Oh gosh. I never realised. That will teach me not to believe everything I read in the paers or on the internet.

(And no slight intended there to the poster!)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think Deli Alli is a class act who probably needs a change of scenery like JLingz did when he moved to West Ham. He was a massive part of a very good Spurs side some 2 or 3 years ago, you don't lose that ability and quality.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think Deli Alli is a class act who probably needs a change of scenery like JLingz did when he moved to West Ham. He was a massive part of a very good Spurs side some 2 or 3 years ago, you don't lose that ability and quality.

Of COURSE you do, Crodo – I would expect nothing less :lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here