Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk’s return:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think Veltman and Dunk are very comparable.

Not much between them quality wise, Dunk has more physical presence, but Veltman has a smarter brain, both play different roles and slightly different positions.

FOr Dunk to return to the centre of defence means resting Burn or Webster in a back 4, not sure he displaces either at the moment.
Aback three is a different thing, have all three with DUnk in the centre

Yes, it's a bit of a poser for GP, isn't it. Some people will come out with that old chestnut, 'oh yes, that's a good problem to have'..

They aren't the ones who have to try and solve it!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Great post, spot on.

March was brilliant before his injury last season, possibly the best LWB in the league then so there would be no concerns about him coming in for MC if necessary. But then Solly has always been hugely under rated by a surprisingly large amount of Brighton fans.

There was also newspaper talk of him getting an England call up at one point. I appreciate it was nothing more than gossip and I think it was related to a regular being injured but it’s a sign of his form and that he was doing something right.

Aug 8, 2012
I don't think Veltman and Dunk are very comparable.

Not much between them quality wise, Dunk has more physical presence, but Veltman has a smarter brain, both play different roles and slightly different positions.

FOr Dunk to return to the centre of defence means resting Burn or Webster in a back 4, not sure he displaces either at the moment.
Aback three is a different thing, have all three with DUnk in the centre
Dunk is on a different planet to Veltman

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Dunk is on a different planet to Veltman

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Veltman is a far more savvy pro & game manager.
Lewis is an excellent defensive CB but they are totally different players with different jobs (JV's main one being filling in behind Tariq at the moment. Pretty much faultlessly).
If Lewis has direct competitors they're Webster, Burn & Duffy

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lewis is an excellent defensive CB but they are totally different players with different jobs (JV's main one being filling in behind Tariq at the moment. Pretty much faultlessly).

Exactly……..a lot will depend on chosen formations game by game. If we go with 3 CBs then Dunk will be back in pronto, but if we go with 2 then there’s a tricky decision to be made as Burn and Webster have been magnificent lately.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Veltman is needed when playing Lamptey, as he covers Lampteys defensive weaknesses. Lamptey is more attacking and Veltman is good on the right.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Veltman is needed when playing Lamptey, as he covers Lampteys defensive weaknesses. Lamptey is more attacking and Veltman is good on the right.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Veltman is our best RB…….I like a back four with him in it and Lamptey as a winger :D

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Couldn't agree more

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Dunk is out captain, leader and a solid and consistent high performer as soon as he is fit Potter will put him straight back in the side

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Dunk is out captain, leader and a solid and consistent high performer as soon as he is fit Potter will put him straight back in the side

I suspect that is true, but it would be particularly harsh on BDB who is in the form of his life right now.

[TWEET]1484204414235779077[/TWEET]

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I suspect that is true, but it would be particularly harsh on BDB who is in the form of his life right now.

[TWEET]1484204414235779077[/TWEET]

It would be but we saw the same when Duffy was in the form of his life earlier in the season. If he goes with a 3 BDB may keep his place but the players will know and understand the captain when fit will be back in the side

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It would be but we saw the same when Duffy was in the form of his life earlier in the season. If he goes with a 3 BDB may keep his place but the players will know and understand the captain when fit will be back in the side

Big difference with Duffy was it was more a return to form, doing a particular type of job.
Dan Burn is playing at a higher level than Duffy was IMO.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Big difference with Duffy was it was more a return to form, doing a particular type of job.
Dan Burn is playing at a higher level than Duffy was IMO.

The point I am making is we have seen before there is a pecking order in defence based on the overall quality of the player and that when the more senior player returns the in form player still makes way.

Dunk is our captain and alongside Webster the first two names on the team sheet for central defenders when both fit. The idea Potter will keep Dunk on the sidelines when fit for Dan Burn or Veltman is just crazy talk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The point I am making is we have seen before there is a pecking order in defence based on the overall quality of the player and that when the more senior player returns the in form player still makes way.

Dunk is our captain and alongside Webster the first two names on the team sheet for central defenders when both fit. The idea Potter will keep Dunk on the sidelines when fit for Dan Burn or Veltman is just crazy talk

I think you're right. but BDB is really stretching that view to the limit right now.

I would say that he has been playing better than Dunk was, prior to the injury.
Maybe not to the levels that Dunk has performed at, but definitely at least as well, as Dunk has achieved this season.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I don't think it's that crazy. I posted elsewhere that IMHO Dunk slows down our progression forward, as he is a less adept / adventurous passer of the ball than Webster (adept) and Burn (adventurous). Dunk does have that long crossfield pass, but that is used sparingly, otherwise it's a lot of sideways stuff, and short passes out wide.

I think the FA Cup game come perfectly for Dunk to get a game and see how he does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here