Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2022

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I agree with all this, I thought it was superb. I disagree though that people who did not like Top Gun may still enjoy this as it is vastly superior with a far better storyline and character development action sequences at a new level and very well made and paced from the start until the end

Yeah, I think you're probably right there. The post above mine actually does that very thing. Someone who didn't like the original liking the sequel.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Yeah, I think you're probably right there. The post above mine actually does that very thing. Someone who didn't like the original liking the sequel.
:wave: Think that was mine! :lol:

Just back from seeing Men. Well. What can I say? Not going to be everyone's cup of tea (there was a lady who left right at the end, looking very shaken, leaving her partner in the cinema!) and Kermode's reference on the BBC News film review to "Cronenbergian Body Horror" was indeed accurate for the final act of the film (not something you'll necessarily gather from the creepy trailer). Visually fascinating, with equally compelling turns by Jesse Buckley, and Rory Kinnear, who plays all but one of the male characters in the film. Be interested to know what others think of this film.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
:wave: Think that was mine! :lol:

Just back from seeing Men. Well. What can I say? Not going to be everyone's cup of tea (there was a lady who left right at the end, looking very shaken, leaving her partner in the cinema!) and Kermode's reference on the BBC News film review to "Cronenbergian Body Horror" was indeed accurate for the final act of the film (not something you'll necessarily gather from the creepy trailer). Visually fascinating, with equally compelling turns by Jesse Buckley, and Rory Kinnear, who plays all but one of the male characters in the film. Be interested to know what others think of this film.

I saw it last week and left a review on here a few days ago.

Hand. Letterbox. Knife.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Finally got to see Top Gun Maverick last night... and in IMAX. Loved it. Absolutely incredible cinematography with a big ol' slice of cheese. 9/10

Also saw Everything Everywhere All At Once recenlty. My son had been raving about it and demanded I see it. Perhaps my expectations were too high but I found it well acted with some very clever sequences but ultimately rather boring, the first half especially. The most striking scene for me wasn't all the whacky and fairly generic action but the one with the two rocks. 6/10

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
On the subject of Top Gun: Maverick, I've just been looking at Empire's review of it, and did laugh at them taking the mickey out of the silly nicknames they all had. "...Maverick is now the tutor, Obi-Wan to a whole new roster of likeable Top Gun Jedi, all with cool call signs like Hangman, Phoenix and Payback (if Top Gun were British they’d be called Ballbag and Quavers)". :lolol:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
If you can't get to the cinema to watch Top Gun: Maverick, you could always download what is sure to be just as good, Top Gunner: Danger Zone.
With a massive 2.3 rating on IMDb, it's bound to be an entertaining thrill ride of a blockbuster.

IMDb: : Top Gunner: Danger Zone
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20726444/

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
‘All My Friends Hate Me’ caught it at DoY yesterday. Quite an experience - manages to to be very funny and incredibly painful to watch at the same time. I recommend catching it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On the subject of Top Gun: Maverick, I've just been looking at Empire's review of it, and did laugh at them taking the mickey out of the silly nicknames they all had. "...Maverick is now the tutor, Obi-Wan to a whole new roster of likeable Top Gun Jedi, all with cool call signs like Hangman, Phoenix and Payback (if Top Gun were British they’d be called Ballbag and Quavers)". :lolol:

There's a great thread on this on the FB page "Dull Mens Club" (which is the singlemost best thing on FB ever). My particular favourite Top Gun callsign was "GOUT" :lolol:

Anyhoo I went to see Top Gun this afternoon, and its magnificent. Yes there's cheese, yes there's some yankee yee-haw, but its utterly brilliant. The minute that movie starts with the original 80s soundtrack, I DEFY you not to sit there with a big goofy grin slapped right across your boat.

It strikes the balance between nostalgia and moving the story on, rich with the characters from the original. And Cruise - he's still just 100% box office IMO. This is everything a summer box office smash is all about. Its not cerebral, but its fun and genuinely exhilarating. A 2-hour slab of huge entertainment.

93/100

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Jurassic World: Dominion.

We saw this in London on Sunday. I’m a big fan of the new, now complete trilogy and was not disappointed. It is perhaps even sillier than the previous two but it’s a film about dinosaurs so I’m more than happy to suspend disbelief once again.

There’s little point in detailing the plot. Dinosaurs now live in the wider world, existing alongside man, with mixed results. But essentially, it’s a rescue mission spanning dozens of countries with some annoying genetic cloning nonsense thrown in that can be largely ignored while you enjoy the fantastic spectacle of motorbike chases, with dinosaurs. Plane chases, with dinosaurs. Car chases, with dinosaurs. Dinosaurs chasing dinosaurs, with more dinosaurs.

There’s quite an Indiana Jones feel to this one which I liked. Chris Pratt is great as usual and it’s nice to see the original 1993 cast back together.

If you want two hours of LOUD, smash n grab, well made Dino action? It’s big thumbs up from me.

Last edited:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS

We saw this in London on Sunday. I’m a big fan of the new, now complete trilogy and was not disappointed. It is perhaps even sillier than the previous two but it’s a film about dinosaurs so I’m more than happy to suspend disbelief once again.

There’s little point in detailing the plot. Dinosaurs now live in the wider world, existing alongside man, with mixed results. But essentially, it’s a rescue mission spanning dozens of countries with some annoying genetic cloning nonsense thrown in that can be largely ignored while you enjoy the fantastic spectacle of motorbike chases, with dinosaurs. Plane chases, with dinosaurs. Car chases, with dinosaurs. Dinosaurs chasing dinosaurs, with more dinosaurs.

There’s quite an Indiana Jones feel to this one which I liked. Chris Pratt is great as usual and it’s nice to see the original 1993 cast back together.

If you want two hours of LOUD, smash n grab, well made Dino action? It’s big thumbs up from me.

This. Noisy, not terribly complicated, and fun. A good 3/5 for me, as although I really like all of the JP films, this one does feel like it is running out of steam story-wise. There are elements which feel like "You liked this scene before, so here it is again" and I think all possible ground has now been covered (other than mutant zombie dinos?) so it does definitely seem to constitute a big full stop. If you like previous ones, JW-D is certainly worth serious consideration.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I know this is film 2022 rather than film 1982 but I'm very much looking forward to seeing (John Carpernter's) The Thing at D.O.Y. on Sunday night.

One of my favourites.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I thought it was very good. Not sure what the critics are on about. The second best for me behind the original. 89 out of 100

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
JP D has taken $ 420 000 000 in 5 days so stuff the critics

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So a big budget sequel that's supposed to be terrible has had a lot of money? That's a first. I'm sure "the critics" will be mortified

The thing is, it is not terrible, not by a long way. I don't do " supposed " I like to decide for myself

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Elvis.
I was looking forward to this but have to say I was just slightly disappointed.
Not enough music for a start, and whilst there were some good performances, there were also some not so good.
The Vegas section was the highlight.
The early years was a mess, as was the end.

Shame. 5/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here