Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Boxing day match travel arrangements.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Brighton & Hove Buses website say none are running when the match finishes.

Could well be that they have yet to update their website. Impossible to believe that there will be no service at all after the game. Indeed there have been instances in the past where both Southern Rail and Brighton & Hove Buses have been late to the party, but on the day of the gamed everything has been fine.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Could well be that they have yet to update their website. Impossible to believe that there will be no service at all after the game. Indeed there have been instances in the past where both Southern Rail and Brighton & Hove Buses have been late to the party, but on the day of the gamed everything has been fine.
3pm kick off maybe .no chance any busses and trains will be operating at 10pm anywhere in the Brighton area let alone from a football stadium out in falmer .

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As for walking, (or should l say hiking), from Moulsecoomb to the Goldstone, and presumably back afterwards, how long did that trek take you?

About 50 minutes IIRC. A bit longer on the way back as I used to stop at the Crown & Anchor for a couple :drink:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
About 50 minutes IIRC. A bit longer on the way back as I used to stop at the Crown & Anchor for a couple :drink:

Your long trek home had barely started at the Crown & Anchor! only a few yards further on & you were at the Brewery Tap, one or two more of these there mayhap? :cheers:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
3pm kick off maybe .no chance any busses and trains will be operating at 10pm anywhere in the Brighton area let alone from a football stadium out in falmer .

Apart from the dozens of buses operated by Brighton and Hove Buses to ferry people back to Park and Rides which the club have already announced. They have also said they are in discussion about other services as well. Not sure why there's so much certainty that this isn't happening when its been announced that it is. Just unhelpful for those who are planning to attend. (regardless of whether its a ballache and whether it should be scheduled at this time which is understandably not everyone's cup of tea)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Apart from the dozens of buses operated by Brighton and Hove Buses to ferry people back to Park and Rides which the club have already announced. They have also said they are in discussion about other services as well. Not sure why there's so much certainty that this isn't happening when its been announced that it is. Just unhelpful for those who are planning to attend. (regardless of whether its a ballache and whether it should be scheduled at this time which is understandably not everyone's cup of tea)

Precisely this.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Yes l totally agree that no way will the actual attendance sink as low as 15,000, although admittedly will be way below our usual 30k or so.

Yes there will be still be buses to transport fans to and fro, plus l still believe there will be a reasonable train service after the game too.

As for walking, (or should l say hiking), from Moulsecoomb to the Goldstone, and presumably back afterwards, how long did that trek take you?

Unless you know something National Rail doesn't know, there are no services on west coastway line on Boxing Day. Where did you find the information that there would be a "reasonable train service after the game..."? Can you post the link please. I searched here:

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Unless you know something National Rail doesn't know, there are no services on west coastway line on Boxing Day. Where did you find the information that there would be a "reasonable train service after the game..."? Can you post the link please. I searched here:

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

I have no link to anything, indeed no inside knowledge at all, l can just remember instances in the past where transport providers have been very late to updatse websites and indicated there would be no service, only for things to be alright on the night so to speak.

I don't know maybe you will be the one to be right on this occasion, but l can't believe that there wouldn't at the very least be some sort of shuttle service to take people back into town.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the Premier League had a proper environmental policy this fixture would not have been given the go ahead.

I have switched from Bridge Car Park to rail using Shoreham Station. In this way I have managed to be driving less miles, saving a tenner on parking and doing my bit for the environment. T

This fixture is wrong on so many levels. Sadly, an empty stadium will probably be construed / portrayed as being Covid-driven, rather than the outcome of an effective, co-ordinated boycott, so even that spectacle won't resonate.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Easy for me to say perhaps, not being subject to the vagaries of using public transport, and being driven to and from the game in the comfort of a North West Sussex Seagulls Coach, but this is our first home Boxing Day fixture for some years, and l am determined to enjoy it. The late kick-off time is unfortunate, but hey it's not as if l have to get up and go to work the following day.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If the Premier League had a proper environmental policy this fixture would not have been given the go ahead.

I believe that the club does have the opportunity to say no to particular dates (I think they have two vetos over the course of a season). The fact that the club didn't reject a Boxing Day fixture suggests that they're not too fussed about it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I believe that the club does have the opportunity to say no to particular dates (I think they have two vetos over the course of a season). The fact that the club didn't reject a Boxing Day fixture suggests that they're not too fussed about it.

I doubt that is the case. The police may be able to veto a game (if their resources are stretched by Pride or whatever). But the club is taking the money from the broadcasters, and so will always have to dance to their tune. "We don't really like an 8pm ko on Boxing Day" is not going to carry much sway, methinks.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Isn't Tony usually in Australia at this time of year? That leaves PB. Would he turn down another TV fee? unlikely.

Do we get a TV fee? Or is that not part of the £120M~ or so?
And I am pretty sure you can't turn down games without a very good reason. Again part of the TV deal

el punal

Easy for me to say perhaps, not being subject to the vagaries of using public transport, and being driven to and from the game in the comfort of a North West Sussex Seagulls Coach, but this is our first home Boxing Day fixture for some years, and l am determined to enjoy it. The late kick-off time is unfortunate, but hey it's not as if l have to get up and go to work the following day.

You are indeed fortunate to be able to use the NWSS coach to travel to/from the Amex. Those of us from further afield are royally f***ed because there seems to be any one of the following :

There are no trains/buses running on Boxing Day.

There may be trains/buses running on Boxing Day.

There could be trains/buses running on Boxing Day - but only until 18.00.

We haven’t decided if trains/buses are running, we’ll let you know when we can be arsed.

Why don’t you drive and then catch a train/bus to Falmer, um, refer to the above.

Why the f*** did anyone think that it was a good idea to put on a Premier League game on at 8.00 pm on a Boxing Day night, and a Sunday at that, without a firm transportation plan in place?

We don’t care about football fans, oh, they’re paying passengers? Right, well, we still don’t care. Possibly up to 30,000 of them wanting to go from A to B? What the hell do they think we are, a public transport service?

All the above are courtesy of Rent-a-Rant, all the moans and groans every day, 24 hours a day, on Brighton 8049.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Never mind the sheer inconvenience to the vast majority of their fans, I don't see how the club can not be fussed about a match with a carbon footprint of even double or treble what it would have been at another time.

It looks like the club are going to have to swallow a shit sandwich this time around, but as a city with green credentials we should push back hard so that it doesn't happen again.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Didn't we move forward one of the early Boxing Day games at the Amex due to transport issues, and got a lot of flak from the League with threats of fines if we looked to move future Boxing Day games.

So while we may be able to move games which clash with Brighton Pride or similar, we are stuck during the Christmas period.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You are indeed fortunate to be able to use the NWSS coach to travel to/from the Amex. Those of us from further afield are royally f***ed because there seems to be any one of the following :

There are no trains/buses running on Boxing Day.

We haven’t decided if trains/buses are running, we’ll let you know when we can be arsed.

Why don’t you drive and then catch a train/bus to Falmer, um, refer to the above.

Why the f*** did anyone think that it was a good idea to put on a Premier League game on at 8.00 pm on a Boxing Day night, and a Sunday at that, without a firm transportation plan in place?

We don’t care about football fans, oh, they’re paying passengers? Right, well, we still don’t care. Possibly up to 30,000 of them wanting to go from A to B? What the hell do they think we are, a public transport service?

Again putting aside the merits of scheduling the game in the first place. There's a lot of justifiable anger at the idea of an 8pm kick off on Boxing Day. Agreed.
And of course there's not a lot of choice for those outside of Sussex but to drive into Sussex , park and take it from there.

However if you want to attend then there certainly is a plan to get people from A to B, with various transport services - thousands of extra park and ride spaces, shuttle buses, and the like alongside the commercial Seagulls Travel coaches - being arranged by both the Albion and Brentford to get people there and back and in most cases for free. So not sure why people keep insisting that there isn't. its not true and unhelpful for the fans who might be making Xmas plans.
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2377332/travel-information-brentford

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So while we may be able to move games which clash with Brighton Pride or similar, we are stuck during the Christmas period.

Presumably something like Pride becomes a request of the police for resourcing purposes?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here