Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 5live now - Albion discussion just started

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
While his name is probably going to be mentioned any time someone in the bigger club gets the sack, I dont think he would go to a club with incompetent/impatient owners.

I completely agree. But I do have a nagging worry that Southgate will leave the England job after the World Cup, and Potter will take over. It would be a big job, and its not like he'd have to move his family, he could carry on living down here and his kids could carry on at their schools etc.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION], you fool! :wink:

Edit: I see you fixed it - after a couple of edits. I salute your thoroughness :wink:

I am 110% confident Westy was mucking about.

Seems, disappointingly, you were right.
And yes that quote function in NSC can be a bit annoying when I get it wrong. Can’t bear to leave it looking so messy.

I was in the long tradition of nsc …. being silly.

There were clues to this:
- Das Reich wouldn’t appear on the BBC out of ideological principle.
- Charlie Haffenden could string sentences together.
- There no was background noise of burps or knuckles dragging the opium den floor.

Well that’s ruined my day :)

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I know someone will come along and say he left Swansea in no time at all, but my instinct is that he’s loyal and wants to see the fruits of his labour pay off. At 46, time’s very much on his side, he can take that next step in a few years time.

Plus TB’s style of ownership/chairmanship appears attractive. PB was courted from elsewhere, but opted to stay in a great set up where he isn’t micromanaged.

And also G.Pott has got a great house and lifestyle in Hove with 3 young kids who are now probably settled. His commute to Lancing and the Amex is a doddle, and he works with a squad that seems to have a good spirit. Apart from a pay rise, why throw it away to have to start all over again at some failing northern club in a sh*t part of Britain?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Seems, disappointingly, you were right.
And yes that quote function in NSC can be a bit annoying when I get it wrong. Can’t bear to leave it looking so messy.

Well that’s ruined my day :)

I must say it would be brilliant if Das Reich was actually a normal decent bloke having a bit of fun. Like his parody account. <sigh>

:thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And also G.Pott has got a great house and lifestyle in Hove with 3 young kids who are now probably settled. His commute to Lancing and the Amex is a doddle, and he works with a squad that seems to have a good spirit. Apart from a pay rise, why throw it away to have to start all over again at some failing northern club in a sh*t part of Britain?

I think he’s mentioned that he loves living here.

Basket-case Spuds or Arsenal would pay a huge contract, he’d soon be destroyed by their fans after a few losses (“Why the hell didn’t we sign someone of Klopp’s calibre?) and sacked after 15 months.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was in the long tradition of nsc …. being silly.

There were clues to this:
- Das Reich wouldn’t appear on the BBC out of ideological principle.
- Charlie Haffenden could string sentences together.
- There no was background noise of burps or knuckles dragging the opium den floor.

Absolutely gobsmacked ANYONE thought you were being serious :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I completely agree. But I do have a nagging worry that Southgate will leave the England job after the World Cup, and Potter will take over. It would be a big job, and its not like he'd have to move his family, he could carry on living down here and his kids could carry on at their schools etc.

There's no danger of Potter going to manage England. England will be a big pay cut for one thing. No way the FA could get him at this stage in his career.

The bigger risk is a CL level club. Though i'm not sure he's go for one with a barking mad owner, which is most of them.

The 4 years left on his deal would also mean we're due a tidy sum.

I personally think he'll be with us for at least a couple more years, then both parties will see where they stand from there

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I must say it would be brilliant if Das Reich was actually a normal decent bloke having a bit of fun. Like his parody account. <sigh>

:thumbsup:

Been a bugbear of mine for years - is that even possible? With all of the Social Media/Forum posters who post racist/homophobic/misogynistic bile, does it make it OK if you are just trolling and don't believe it? We aren't talking irony here - this is just out and out bigotry. Does posting it when you don't believe it make it OK or worse?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I just listened to it and could swear it was Talksh!t without the adverts!

Charlie was excellent, informative and batted the useless quips from Richards back. But why do the BBC, in fact all football radio programmes that are national, continually big up the so called big sides and belittle the smaller sized clubs? The key thing that Chapman missed was the overall running of the club across all teams; men, women, U23,U21,U18 and youth. Building blocks put in place decades ago now paying dividends.

Still 11 minutes of national coverage for a team that is in a cl slot, ain't that bad is it? :)

TNBA

TTF

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's no danger of Potter going to manage England. England will be a big pay cut for one thing. No way the FA could get him at this stage in his career.

The bigger risk is a CL level club. Though i'm not sure he's go for one with a barking mad owner, which is most of them.

I personally think he'll be with us for at least a couple more years, then both parties will see where they stand from there

This…he’s seemingly always planned his career moves very carefully. I’d imagine his aim here is taking ‘perennial relegation-battle strugglers’ BHA to ‘(insert lofty ambition here)’ at least.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Funnily enough I don't see CL clubs coming in for him, as he's not a big enough name and they demand instant success over building something. I was slightly concerned about Spurs and Arsenal but they're so shoddily run I don't think they're attractive enough to move on to. I think Potter said in the summer about Spurs, that it wasn't the right time for him, which I read as a nice way of saying "get your house in order" before I consider moving.

The truth is he does know he's on a good thing here and it would have to be something very good and something that would suit him for him to go.

But for me England is a worry. He has said he wants to manage at the highest level, and although that's open to interpretation, I think a lot of English managers would see the England job as the pinnacle, or at the very least be tempted by it. Furthermore he is the top English candidate at the moment, not just in terms of form and style of play, but worryingly what Brighton are doing is very similar to how England have approached things in recent years. I don't think its a stretch to think that the FA will look for some continuity when Southgate goes, and Potter is probably better suited to that than anyone, given his familiarity with Ashworth who was key in setting up the current England set up. Obviously all of this is speculation, and I really hope I'm wrong, but like I say its a nagging feeling that I can't seem to shake.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But why do the BBC, in fact all football radio programmes that are national, continually big up the so called big sides and belittle the smaller sized clubs?

5 Live have done several full length documentaries on Graham Potter including one last December.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p090k264

They also feature Brighton multiple times over the season in full live commentaries - Palace is the next one. These - at least last season heaped praise on Albion , their playing style and Potter.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00105lr

and live commentary of the womens team
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001066r

Glenn Murray is a frequent guest on those evening 5 Live Sport shows bringing his analysis of football but especially Albion and also a regular pundit.

They obviously also feature regularly on 606 including several calls this week post Leicester.
Chris Sutton said this week "I watched them a lot ...All last season their football was very very good and thats a testament to Graham Potter"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000zss1

And then of course local radio does commentaries, a phone in show and a weekly podcast.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Funnily enough I don't see CL clubs coming in for him, as he's not a big enough name and they demand instant success over building something. I was slightly concerned about Spurs and Arsenal but they're so shoddily run I don't think they're attractive enough to move on to. I think Potter said in the summer about Spurs, that it wasn't the right time for him, which I read as a nice way of saying "get your house in order" before I consider moving.

I certainly can't see him going to Spurs. He's said many times in interviews that he wouldn't stand in the way of players wanting to move on. I certainly can't see him moving to a club that has said that no matter how unhappy a player is, if they've signed a contract then he has to stay. That approach will anathema to Potter.

And Arsenal is in a mess: three managers in the last two years and seemingly no strategy in recruitment. I can't see him going there either.

The job I'm worried about is City. Pep has sung his praises several times and we already know that he's leaving. Potter may well be Guardiola's recommendation, in the same way that Taggart recommended Moyes.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Been a bugbear of mine for years - is that even possible? With all of the Social Media/Forum posters who post racist/homophobic/misogynistic bile, does it make it OK if you are just trolling and don't believe it? We aren't talking irony here - this is just out and out bigotry. Does posting it when you don't believe it make it OK or worse?

you would have to have the dedication of a zealout to waste that much time trawling for shiz on youtube, he's definitely got a complex

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
you would have to have the dedication of a zealout to waste that much time trawling for shiz on youtube, he's definitely got a complex

Oh I know he is a complete asshat. But I have seen a few people amused buy other on here because they think they are trolling - and maybe they are. I just don't see how posting something obnoxious to provoke a reaction from good people is funny. A long way away from posting "PC gone mad" posts trying to get a reaction from people they see as Woke or whatever. Posting something to prick the perceived pomposity of others I sort of get. But something that will get a reaction from fair minded people? Nah.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Chappers got one bit wrong there. BDB was fine against Palace. His nightmare came against Wolves and Adama Traore in the first half of the game that turned our season around. He also had a torrid time away at Leicester, but he wasn't alone in that game. I'm glad that we have played them once before James Justin gets back from injury. He was mustard in that game. Maddison also ran riot. He looked a shadow of that player yesterday.
He didn't exactly cover himself in glory for their first goal (getting the wrong side of Ayew and allowing the cross) - so I can see where Chappers may have gotten that impression from.

I rate him generally though, glad he's available again as he definitely has his uses in certain games.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Oh I know he is a complete asshat. But I have seen a few people amused buy other on here because they think they are trolling - and maybe they are. I just don't see how posting something obnoxious to provoke a reaction from good people is funny. A long way away from posting "PC gone mad" posts trying to get a reaction from people they see as Woke or whatever. Posting something to prick the perceived pomposity of others I sort of get. But something that will get a reaction from fair minded people? Nah.

:bowdown:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I certainly can't see him going to Spurs. He's said many times in interviews that he wouldn't stand in the way of players wanting to move on. I certainly can't see him moving to a club that has said that no matter how unhappy a player is, if they've signed a contract then he has to stay. That approach will anathema to Potter.

And Arsenal is in a mess: three managers in the last two years and seemingly no strategy in recruitment. I can't see him going there either.

The job I'm worried about is City. Pep has sung his praises several times and we already know that he's leaving. Potter may well be Guardiola's recommendation, in the same way that Taggart recommended Moyes.

That is an outside shout, but if it happens, if our manager is poached by City to succeed Pep Guardiola, you've just got to congratulate the fella on the most incredible show of faith, and wish him all the best and be proud of what he goes on to do.

The club had been tracking GP for a while before he came here and i'm confident they are tracking a possible successor, whoever and whenever that is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here