Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maupay

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I'm sure I've seen stats on here that showed Maupay was a more significant contributor last season than Welbeck.

I had hoped it would put a stop to this "Welbz is a world beater, Maupay is total crap" nonsense that pervades this board.

Maupay was doing just fine until he was ostracised from the team for the Ryan handbag kerfuffle. He wasn't the same after that for most of the remainder of the season.

Maupay strikes me as a bit of a Knocky "arm round the shoulder and have a quiet word" kind of fella. Making him go sit on the naughty step is probably not going to get the best out of him.

Last season, per 90 minutes, Welbeck out performed Maupay for goals scored, shots on target, shot conversions and pass completions.

Maupay works hard, but Welbeck is on a different level.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Last season, per 90 minutes, Welbeck out performed Maupay for goals scored, shots on target, shot conversions and pass completions.

Agreed. I like Maupay, but I don't understand the extent to which Welbeck's contribution last season is underestimated on here.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I'm sure I've seen stats on here that showed Maupay was a more significant contributor last season than Welbeck.

I had hoped it would put a stop to this "Welbz is a world beater, Maupay is total crap" nonsense that pervades this board.

Maupay was doing just fine until he was ostracised from the team for the Ryan handbag kerfuffle. He wasn't the same after that for most of the remainder of the season.

Maupay strikes me as a bit of a Knocky "arm round the shoulder and have a quiet word" kind of fella. Making him go sit on the naughty step is probably not going to get the best out of him.

Dunno what stat that was. Few think his workrate or commitment are a problem; sadly that is not enough - indeed I think he overdoes it so not composed enough in the box. The only stat that really matters is that his Xg last season was 13.77 vs 8 scored. That is effectively 6 goals more he should have scored which translates into 4-8 points. Xg in previous season was similar so he was 3.6 goals down based on 10 goals scored. His assists are also less than Xa last season (by 2.3); he is doing a lot of hard graft but is lacking something to be effective as he should be.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He'll get 10+ goals this season. His work rate and movement are both very, very good. It'll come good for him.

(I hope.)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Correct.

Welbeck was sensational for us last season. If he maintains that form he will surely get 10+ goals.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Dunno what stat that was. Few think his workrate or commitment are a problem; sadly that is not enough - indeed I think he overdoes it so not composed enough in the box. The only stat that really matters is that his Xg last season was 13.77 vs 8 scored. That is effectively 6 goals more he should have scored which translates into 4-8 points. Xg in previous season was similar so he was 3.6 goals down based on 10 goals scored. His assists are also less than Xa last season (by 2.3); he is doing a lot of hard graft but is lacking something to be effective as he should be.

I agree with you on the point that i'd trade less workrate for a calmer head in the penalty area.

On the chances and xg, no striker converts all of them, so I won't hound him for that. Neal missed chances in his first and second season for us. But to me the difference was that in the first season he scored goals you wouldn't expect him to, for example Wolves at home from outside the box. Last season his goals were largely tap in's for example, Leeds and Everton and penalties. He scored one or two "decent" goals against Newcastle, but didn't score anything which you wouldn't expect a PL striker to be putting away.

His hold up play is decent but not exceptional.

His workrate, again decent, but I think overstated. I actually think we have more intensity whenever we've bought on Zeqiri.

He's a Brighton player so i'll get behind him at the matches, but I don't think he can complain if he has to bide his time after having had a poor season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just watched his post-match interview.
Apparently he has a 2 month old daughter.

I hadn't seen any mention of this previously.

People are absolutely entitled to their strong negative opinions on players, I have plenty of those myself so I’m the last person telling people to pipe down. But the criticism of both Duffy and Maupay has been excessive on here and I’m glad both took their chances yesterday

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
People are absolutely entitled to their strong negative opinions on players, I have plenty of those myself so I’m the last person telling people to pipe down. But the criticism of both Duffy and Maupay has been excessive on here and I’m glad both took their chances yesterday

yeah same here.

The idea that Maupay isn't good enough is straight out bonkers.

He definitely had a poorer season last season, but I expect him to come good this season.
I think fans in the stadium will help him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What strikes me when he is interviewed is how unlike the little shitehouse he is on the pitch, always very polite and smiley. Really chuffed he got a goal, just hope he gets some support soon, either new striker or fit Welbeck

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
What strikes me when he is interviewed is how unlike the little shitehouse he is on the pitch, always very polite and smiley. Really chuffed he got a goal, just hope he gets some support soon, either new striker or fit Welbeck

Moder and Big Mac could be just the support he needs.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
His movement is always good, able to lose marker gives defenders a hard time. Just hope this season can put more chances away Just sometimes does stupid things like getting involved with every dispute. Like yesterday when lucky not to get a red for kicking ball away

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And keeps himself fit of course. It's been a while since he's got 10 goals

He's never managed that in the Prem before and that is with the service of Man Utd and Arsenal. The bloke never stays fit for long.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes, but it remains a big season for him - he has had good starts in the last two and then faded. A little lucky he didn't get sent off for two bookings, but I like the sparky side of him on the pitch and wouldn't want to see that removed.

boik

Mark Hughes was the epitome of this. Spoke like a gentleman, played like an animal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, but it remains a big season for him - he has had good starts in the last two and then faded. A little lucky he didn't get sent off for two bookings, but I like the sparky side of him on the pitch and wouldn't want to see that removed.

IF we can get a few wins and draws early season and not be in potential relegation trouble I think he’ll really blossom with confidence this season, you cannot fault his effort

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
IF we can get a few wins and draws early season and not be in potential relegation trouble I think he’ll really blossom with confidence this season, you cannot fault his effort

Yes, nothing wrong with his effort, but that can only get you so far in the top league. Yesterday, he worked really hard, and it wasn't until the subs he had any midfielders getting close to him.

I think he is better in a two myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here