Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maupay

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't want to put a downer on things, but that could be describing Mackail-Smith ..............................................

No comparison imo. Maupay has ball control that CMS can only dream about. He has the same duracell battery but not the pace CMS had pre injury

Golden Labrador chasing a ball on the beach sums up CMS to me :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Now the death threat kiddie has been identified and punished, he might be a bit more focused in front of goal, plus he's got a year in the Prem under his belt now.

2 seasons in fact.

Sadly went backwards last season IMO, big season for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No comparison imo. Maupay has ball control that CMS can only dream about. He has the same duracell battery but not the pace CMS had pre injury

Labrador chasing a ball on the beach sums up CMS to me :shrug:

I think that’s fair, I was so pleased when we signed CMS (mainly based on the Peterborough season), the after a few months realised I was wrong…..

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Golden Labrador chasing a ball on the beach sums up CMS to me :shrug:

Remember that goal against Leeds though? Sadly, it was a bit of a one-off.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
With Lamptey and Kyle Walker a 10 for pace, I’d make Maupay an 8. He puts in so much work each game with that, not a lazy player saving it for a few breaks.

He runs a lot, and harries well. Like I say he’s not slow. But he doesn’t have the pace to run past or in behind that worries defenders at this level. It’s one of our problems I think - we need more pace across the front 3 to stretch sides a bit more.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Why can't we all get behind every one of our players this season.
Of course some are going to have poor games and no doubt we will miss a few sitters, the odd stupid sending off and a mistake in defence and they should be called out, that is partly what a forum is for, but the hatred a vitriol of certain players was getting really stupid last season considering we played some of the best football I have ever seen from The Albion and we had a massive slice of bad luck too.
I am sure they must look at NSC, if so then we can do our bit.
I think I am asking far too much though.

This is NSC, what else would you expect?
Some players can do no wrong and some can do no right.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Remember that goal against Leeds though? Sadly, it was a bit of a one-off.

Burnley away. His overhead kick was a good one too.

His touch was woeful, it would take 3 touches to get the ball under control.
But you couldn’t fault his effort and commitment. Was never sure when we bought him as he did not seem a Poyet type of player.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He runs a lot, and harries well. Like I say he’s not slow. But he doesn’t have the pace to run past or in behind that worries defenders at this level. It’s one of our problems I think - we need more pace across the front 3 to stretch sides a bit more.

Personally I think under Potter and few transfer windows we’ve finally evolved away from that easy to defend against trait.

So many chances and half chances created in open play, which we contrive to miss.

Just need a finisher, or our finishers to up their game.

Imho.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Personally I think under Potter and few transfer windows we’ve finally evolved away from that easy to defend against trait.

So many chances and half chances created in open play, which we contrive to miss.

Imho.

We certainly create much more now. I have no data to back it up, but my sense is that a lot of our chances end up blocked - sides get bodies in the way somehow (the home defeat to Palace springs to mind). I don’t remember us missing that many when we’ve broke quickly or got in behind (indeed, Welbeck converted some of those well). It’s just we don’t seem to get in those positions that much (and Maupay pretty much never).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We certainly create much more now. I have no data to back it up, but my sense is that a lot of our chances end up blocked - sides get bodies in the way somehow (the home defeat to Palace springs to mind). I don’t remember us missing that many when we’ve broke quickly or got in behind (indeed, Welbeck converted some of those well). It’s just we don’t seem to get in those positions that much (and Maupay pretty much never).

I think part of that is because we’re a team that seeks possession of the ball, similar to Citeh, Leeds and Liverpool. Opponents therefore have a load of players sitting deeper defending.

The polar opposite of CP and Wolves, who try and mug teams like us, when they counter they have wide open space to run into.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Imho.

we have some good technical players but they slow the play down and that allows defenders to get back hence the lot of blocks or pushing players to take snap shots . Play the pretty football but get the ball out fast as well .

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Now the death threat kiddie has been identified and punished, he might be a bit more focused in front of goal, plus he's got a year in the Prem under his belt now.

2 seasons in fact.

Sadly went backwards last season IMO, big season for him.

Of course, 2 seasons. I actually believed it when I typed it too:facepalm:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
This I’m afraid and also lacks real pace to worry defenders in Prem

Physically and mentally a bit off the pace at this level but we look a better team when he is playing and performing. Definitely has something to offer though. Works so hard.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So a couple of months holiday and he’s suddenly going to start banging them in ??? I will believe it when I see it.

I love football fans optimism last week Andone was possibly going to be the saviour :D

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So a couple of months holiday and he’s suddenly going to start banging them in ??? I will believe it when I see it.

I love football fans optimism last week Andone was possibly going to be the saviour :D

Classic straw clutching - we’re all the same.

I guess we’re all United in hoping at least one of them have a stand out season. I’d throw Connolly and Zeqiri into that as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here