Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The benchmark should be Ben Chilwell who joined Chelsea from Leicester at the same age - 23 - also from a club in the second quartile of the Premier League.

Cucurella has played one more season in the top flight than Chilwell had when he made his move, and across 2 of Europe's top leagues, although Chilwell had 11 England caps to Marc's 1.

Given Chilwell moved in 2020 for £45 million and inflation is now at 9% you have to think that £45 mill is around the right ballpark. Indeed, City bought right-back Kyle Walker aged 27 in 2017 for £45 mill plus £8 mill add-ons, so the Albion would be quite entitled to ask for £50 mill.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yeah, I'm calling bollocks on that tweet too.

While it's true that if City really want him and Cucurella really wants to go, he will, but it'll be on our terms. He has 4 years left on his contract and is a key member of our team. And for anyone thinking he'll go for 30 million(admittedly that seems to be the press more than Brighton fans), you're wrong. Man City will pay for him.

Here's their current defenders, what they cost and when they signed. You'll notice not one of them was signed for under 41million. And that was from a team that had just been relegated.

Kyle Walker 50m 2017
Ruben Dias 61m 2020
John Stones 50m 2016
Nathan Ake 41m 2020
Aymeric Laporte 57m 2018
Jaoa Cancelo 60m 2019

If City want a key player with four years on his contract from an upwardly mobile team with no need to sell then you're looking at 50m up. Then we'll see how much City want him.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yeah, I'm calling bollocks on that tweet too.

While it's true that if City really want him and Cucurella really wants to go, he will, but it'll be on our terms. He has 4 years left on his contract and is a key member of our team. And for anyone thinking he'll go for 30 million(admittedly that seems to be the press more than Brighton fans), you're wrong. Man City will pay for him.

Here's their current defenders, what they cost and when they signed. You'll notice not one of them was signed for under 41million. And that was from a team that had just been relegated.

Kyle Walker 50m 2017
Ruben Dias 61m 2020
John Stones 50m 2016
Nathan Ake 41m 2020
Aymeric Laporte 57m 2018
Jaoa Cancelo 60m 2019

If City want a key player with four years on his contract from an upwardly mobile team with no need to sell then you're looking at 50m up. Then we'll see how much City want him.

This

I've put my bullshit stamp on the tweet and I reckon Tony's inked up his F**k off stamp on his desk too.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He's such a good player, on his way to the top. He plays with so much maturity, hard to believe he's almost a year younger than Ben White.

If we can get one more season out of him it would be amazing. But this link to City does make sense and they could go hard for him, will surely cost as much as White but they can obviously afford it. Pep would love to have a Catalan guy on his team and he would fit their style so well. And of course Cucu would want the same, but we'll always be in his memories. If we can just keep him for another year.......

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Petrostate clubs must pay a premium. A big premium.

I totally trust the club to do the right thing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Talks ongoing..........

'Hi Tony, Man City here, we'd like to put an offer in for Cucurella....how does £30m sound ?'

'Tony ? Hello ? Tony ? Are you still there ?'

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think people don't understand the power that players and agents have to force moves.
And people genuinely don't understand the power of hacked off billionaire chairman to say no to deals that millionaire upstarts try to force through.

There was a good article last year in The Athletic about it. Basically upset the chairman and make him lose face and you have no chance of leaving.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
And people genuinely don't understand the power of hacked off billionaire chairman to say no to deals that millionaire upstarts try to force through.

There was a good article last year in The Athletic about it. Basically upset the chairman and make him lose face and you have no chance of leaving.

Far from ideal having a disaffected player on the books though, so all the Tony playing hard ball stuff isn’t potentially the victory people try and dress it up as. That said, the CuCu to Man City stuff...hmmmm

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Yer I think bloom is a reasonable man. I'm sure cuccu would love to join city and who could blame him. If these rumours are true I'm sure bloom will be fair and tell cuccu he wants one more season and then he will sell to the highest bidder if Cuccu still wants to go...... U less man city offer something ludicrous.

A bit like the dale Stephens situation.

Only problem being that the sums are eye watering at this level and if Cuccu was to get a career ending injury next season he would be pretty hacked off.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yer I think bloom is a reasonable man. I'm sure cuccu would love to join city and who could blame him. If these rumours are true I'm sure bloom will be fair and tell cuccu he wants one more season and then he will sell to the highest bidder if Cuccu still wants to go...... U less man city offer something ludicrous.

Only problem being that the sums are eye watering at this level and if Cuccu was to get a career ending injury next season he would be pretty hacked off.

He could get a carerer ending injury playing for anyone, more likely at MAn City vs Athletico than say for Btn vs Man City.

he won't go anywhere this summer. mayve £75m in Jan if Citeh are desperate. I think Cucu and his family have settled here and likely don't want more upheaval just yet

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He could get a carerer ending injury playing for anyone, more likely at MAn City vs Athletico than say for Btn vs Man City.

he won't go anywhere this summer. mayve £75m in Jan if Citeh are desperate. I think Cucu and his family have settled here and likely don't want more upheaval just yet
Yes but if he's on double bubble contract at man city over 5 years he's gonna get a much bigger payout.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ha Same old transfer stuff on here. All manner of insight, accountability and knowledge about how Bloom/Barber will conduct their business. (how much a player should cost, what their contract should be, Brighton's strategy, what the player is thinking/wants/where they want to live etc) .
Yet it a all goes out of the window when it comes to how transfers are reported (no smoke without fire, has x number of followers - so must be true, this credible journalist got something wrong in 2011, club lie to journalists etc etc) . The disinformation/fake news peddlers get a free pass, the real journalists get attacked as ever.
Its going to be a long old summer.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I think Bloom is pretty reasonable, and as with White last year, if the price tag is met they can go, and the price tag isn't ludicrous. Difference with Stephens, Bridcutt etc is that the price tag presumably wasn't met then, but now the only clubs above us in the league (the only ones worth going to in the Premier league for these players) can afford the price tag asked and will pay it if they want them.

Players like Bissouma and MacAllister may want the continent of course, and the price tag becomes an issue then, so running contracts down becomes a better option.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
With Bissouma almost certainly going this summer I really don't think we'll let another first teamer go. City might want him but they've just forked out £70m odd for Haaland, and are apparently after Phillips from Leeds. I can't see him going this summer but next summer? It'll be interesting to see if we buy in a potential replacement this summer as per our usual succession planning MO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here