Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] U-23's retain/release announcement

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That is NOT what it all boils down to, though, is it? The model developed by Chelsea and others, shows the way. The ideal goal is to get one or two players per season to your own first team squad, but developing others to the point that they are saleable to Championship / League One clubs, as a funding source, to help the academy pay for itself.

Chelsea just like every other club also release players. I'm sure the club would have preferred to sell Cashman rather than letting him go, but if they find it unlikely that anyone would pay for him its not really much to choose from.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I was at Uni in Cov (Warwick actually) and I have a real soft spot for Cov City and do read their forum/twitter. The thing about Ostigard that they really like - apart from his ability - is his fighting spirit and willingness to try and rally/raise the team when they're not at it! And that's a quality you can't coach into players/people.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Chelsea just like every other club also release players. I'm sure the club would have preferred to sell Cashman rather than letting him go, but if they find it unlikely that anyone would pay for him its not really much to choose from.

Indeed - several of Chelsea's recently released players have made their way into Championship and L1 squads (or other PL clubs' U23s!) with no fee going to Chelsea: https://www.transfermarkt.com.mt/fc-chelsea-u23/alletransfers/verein/9250

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It wasn't me you were asking the question to, but I look at Jenks and can see him having a career in the top two divisions. He looks to have the passing, physicality and leadership to be able to adapt

The trouble is, progress of young players is never linear. In the same way as youngsters grow in spurts, their performances improve unequally.

This can cause, Chelsea to let go, De Bruyne, and Salah and Soton to let go Ben White.

We'll undoubtedly let go of young players who will go on to do well. It's inevitable. It doesn't mean we've made a mistake, we can't just horde them.

No that is fine, if anyone else wants to answer please do.

I haven't seen a lot of any of the players to be honest so always welcome to hear opinions.

I did have the Southampton game on the other week but whilst I was working/watching Aintree (mainly aintree) so wasn't paying a great deal of attention. The three that stood out for me on the day were Dendonker, Cashman and Jenks. Caciedo was head and shoulders the best player on the park but not sure he really counts as U23.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indeed - several of Chelsea's recently released players have made their way into Championship and L1 squads (or other PL clubs' U23s!) with no fee going to Chelsea: https://www.transfermarkt.com.mt/fc-chelsea-u23/alletransfers/verein/9250

No transfer fees, maybe, but won't there be compensation payments due at some point? I don't know the rules for these, or how they're calculated, but they do exist. Maybe AZGull can provide information? Getting transfer fees from League 1 and 2 clubs is going to be next to impossible at the moment - it's a buyers' market with no money available!
Whether we can get compensation payments for the likes of Cashman, Rees and co I don't know - but even if we do, will compensation payments be enough ling term to keep the training programme viable?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
No transfer fees, maybe, but won't there be compensation payments due at some point? I don't know the rules for these, or how they're calculated, but they do exist. Maybe AZGull can provide information? Getting transfer fees from League 1 and 2 clubs is going to be next to impossible at the moment - it's a buyers' market with no money available!
Whether we can get compensation payments for the likes of Cashman, Rees and co I don't know - but even if we do, will compensation payments be enough ling term to keep the training programme viable?

There aren't any compensation payments for released players - only for i) those who are offered and decline a new contract in favour of another club, or ii) EPPP payments for players 'poached' from other academies.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There aren't any compensation payments for released players - only for i) those who are offered and decline a new contract in favour of another club, or ii) EPPP payments for players 'poached' from other academies.

Southampton released Ben White, and I'm sure I've read that they'll be entitled to a part of the transfer fee if we sell him.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Southampton released Ben White, and I'm sure I've read that they'll be entitled to a part of the transfer fee if we sell him.

That is correct. As I understand the system there are two different types of payment, payable to clubs that helped develop the player. One is a training payment paid when a player first signs a pro contract. The other is known as solidarity payments, and is paid when a player transfers between countries and is payable throughout the players career.

Every club involved in the development of a player between the ages of 12 and 23 is potentially entitled to some compensation, even if they released the player, if the player moves across footballing borders. According to the link below this includes loan clubs so in Ben Whites case Leeds would be entitled to a very small % of a future transfer fee if we sold him abroad.

https://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2013/10/player-solidarity-payments-hidden-goldmine/

The breakdown on the percentages due is shown on the following the link.

https://kennethrusso.com/training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments/

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
[MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] clubs are entitled a "training compensation fee". Training compensation shall be paid to a player’s training club each time a professional is transferred until the end of the season of his 23rd birthday. The amount that the club get is a percentage based on the "training costs" and number of years spent training at the original club.

In the case of Ben White, I think Southampton would've made a percentage of any deal if White had been sold to Leeds last summer or elsewhere in January. He is now 23 and any transfer will be made after this season is over meaning that Southampton will not receive a training compensation fee.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That is correct. As I understand the system there are two different types of payment, payable to clubs that helped develop the player. One is a training payment paid when a player first signs a pro contract. The other is known as solidarity payments, and is paid when a player transfers between countries and is payable throughout the players career.

Every club involved in the development of a player between the ages of 12 and 23 is potentially entitled to some compensation, even if they released the player, if the player moves across footballing borders. According to the link below this includes loan clubs so in Ben Whites case Leeds would be entitled to a very small % of a future transfer fee if we sold him abroad.

https://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2013/10/player-solidarity-payments-hidden-goldmine/

The breakdown on the percentages due is shown on the following the link.

https://kennethrusso.com/training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments/
Thanks. Top research. Bloody complicated this football business, isn't it!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

If he sold as aborad yes. Same with those Chelsea guys you asked about.

In short, a total of 5% of the transfer fee in any international transfer will be shared between the clubs the player belonged to between ages 12 and 21 (might be 23 these days, not sure) depending on how long he played for each club. Ben White played for Southampton until he was 16, and while I dont know when he joined them we can imagine he spent four years there, from 12-16. This means if Ben White moves to PSG in France, Southampton would get somewhere around 2.5% of the transfer fee. If he instead moves to Liverpool, they get nothing.

This solidarity payment/training compensation fee was introduced not really with these transfers in mind, but rather because big clubs in Europe signed players from small countries, with the small countries getting nothing. Example: without this rule, Zlatan Ibrahimovics first club FBK Balkan (where he played between 12 and 13) would have got 0, but instead they've recieved a few hundred pounds for him over the years which is gigantic money for them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Despite releasing him Albion are celebrating Danny Cashman being shortlisted as PL2 player of the month for April:

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2136321/cashman-up-for-pl2-player-of-the-month

On the club website and social media. Just seems really odd thing to do for a released player unless they're hoping to hype him up for a contract elsewhere.

As you can imagine most of the responses to this tweet are pointing out he got released:

https://twitter.com/OfficialBHAFC/status/1391709607089909762

[tweet]1391709607089909762[/tweet]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Despite releasing him Albion are celebrating Danny Cashman being shortlisted as PL2 player of the month for April:

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2136321/cashman-up-for-pl2-player-of-the-month

On the club website and social media. Just seems really odd thing to do for a released player unless they're hoping to hype him up for a contract elsewhere.

As you can imagine most of the responses to this tweet are pointing out he got released:

https://twitter.com/OfficialBHAFC/status/1391709607089909762

[tweet]1391709607089909762[/tweet]

I had a chat with him last week for the SoL/Brighton Rocks podcast. He was very positive about the club and it sounds like it was a mutual decision. Club happy with him but both parties felt he would stagnate if he stayed for another year; it was time to play first-team football and we couldn't offer that. By the sounds of it, he's all set to land on his feet and will be playing first team football next season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Makes it seem all the more strange that we released him. I'm sure he'll have a club for next season, and good luck to him - but why couldn't we get him a loan to a club, so we could get something for him in 2022?
I know the ain is to make the club (and the academy) sustainable - but that's hardly going to happen if we keep giving 'em away!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here