[Misc] F1 2021

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, because I was a Button fan.

I suppose it was Oasis or Blur, Stones or Beatles thing.

I did have a great poster of James Hunt and Barry Sheene, double world champions in 76 though.

I would pay big bucks to get that back, I think my parents binned it after I left home......gutted.

Good old Sheene and Hunt, back when British racing drivers were white and didn’t speak out of turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
It doesn’t. You make all your comments about Hamilton etc. You replied to me only half hour ago with this:

When I said you must have Hamilton’s first title posters on your walls then, you said you supported Button, who was of course in a Honda.

2007 to 2009 the only British driver in a British team was Lewis Hamilton, fair to assume you supported him in that period given your quoted statement.

You seem a bit touchy about it?

Aren't the Mercedes F1 team based in Brackley anyway?
For that matter, apart from Ferrari, Alpha Romeo and AlphaTauri they're all based in Britain.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
For that matter, apart from Ferrari, Alpha Romeo and AlphaTauri they're all based in Britain.

Yup - I’m fairly sure the Mercedes team is the old Braun F1 team, founded by Ross Braun?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Yup - I’m fairly sure the Mercedes team is the old Braun F1 team, founded by Ross Braun?

It was Brawn, Honda before that, I'd have to look it up before that but it wasn't Honda originally. BAR or something like that? It will have been based in the UK anyway. I think I'm right in saying that apart from Jackie Stewart's Tatra or whatever it was called all the non-Ferrari championship winning cars have been designed in Britain.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Mercedes F1 is Ken Tyrrell’s old team:
Tyrrell Racing
British American Racing
Honda F1
Brawn GP
Mercedes

But despite HQ and history don’t think you can call Mercedes a British team, but yeah Britain is the heart of F1.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Tyrrell Racing
British American Racing
Honda F1
Brawn GP
Mercedes

But despite HQ and history don’t think you can call Mercedes a British team, but yeah Britain is the heart of F1.

Why not? They drive under a German license but the work happens in Britain. Cars aren't designed by paperwork and flags after all.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Why not? They drive under a German license but the work happens in Britain. Cars aren't designed by paperwork and flags after all.

It’s funded and run by a German company. It was a Japanese team when Honda as it was run and funded by a Japanese company. It would be a bit like saying all Hondas and Nissans made in the UK are British cars?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tyrrell Racing
British American Racing
Honda F1
Brawn GP
Mercedes

Our engineering excellence, along with some great Austrian/German input and €€€€ …. an enduring hell for arrogant Ferrari.

So good, they finally conceded we’re better by poaching Brawn, Stepney and Byrne in the late 90’s.

Last edited:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
It’s funded and run by a German company. It was a Japanese team when Honda as it was run and funded by a Japanese company. It would be a bit like saying all Hondas and Nissans made in the UK are British cars?

Personally if the team's based in Britain I consider it to be British, regardless of where the money comes from. When I've worked on a bridge design in South Australia, the design work was done in a British office, regardless of the fact that the South Australian government was paying for it.

I'd view the original Honda team as Japanese, since as far as I know it was set up and run in Japan. Similarly the original Mercedes team was German. But I don't care if a foreign company buys a team and changes the nationality on the license.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Personally if the team's based in Britain I consider it to be British, regardless of where the money comes from. When I've worked on a bridge design in South Australia, the design work was done in a British office, regardless of the fact that the South Australian government was paying for it.

I'd view the original Honda team as Japanese, since as far as I know it was set up and run in Japan. Similarly the original Mercedes team was German. But I don't care if a foreign company buys a team and changes the nationality on the license.

Well, that’s fair enough. I guess this only came up because Mouldy said he prefers to support a British Driver in a British team. Given Brackley was home to Tyrrell Racing, perhaps Hamilton still is.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Well, that’s fair enough. I guess this only came up because Mouldy said he prefers to support a British Driver in a British team.

You might say that. I couldn't possibly comment.

I've had enough arguments with you on the cricket threads, I've no desire to argue with you about a sport I don't know anything about :lolol: :thumbsup:

I'm mainly trying to take my mind off the horror show earlier while I'm on the train home.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
You might say that. I couldn't possibly comment.

I've had enough arguments with you on the cricket threads, I've no desire to argue with you about a sport I don't know anything about :lolol: :thumbsup:

I'm mainly trying to take my mind off the horror show earlier while I'm on the train home.

I think cricket is best left alone now for the moment too! :lolol:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You really did spoil it with this last line.

I was a Button fan because he is a true gent and a decent racing car driver in a British car, what's wrong with that?

Err, that Max Verstappen is Dutch and not a gent and drives a car with an Austrian license and sponsored by a Swiss energy drink.
Based in England maybe but not really a thoroughbred British team are they.
Now if you croaked on about Williams and George Russell or McClaren and Lando Norris as much as you do a Dutchman then you would have a valid point.
You need a 50/50 flag in your Avatar.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Be interesting if the penalties are applied to Max Sunday morning, he could be moved back three places along with Bottas.* That will make it interesting. Also being reported that Hamilton is saving his engine used from last week for the last two races and is using the Mexico one this time! That’s a bit of a game changer for the last two races!
* for ignoring yellow flags.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
“F1 title leader Max Verstappen's front-row starting position at the Qatar GP is under threat after he was summoned to meet with F1 stewards ahead of Sunday's race for allegedly failing to slow for yellow flags on his final lap of qualifying.

The Red Bull driver, who leads the championship by 14 points, qualified second behind a dominant Lewis Hamilton but will now head to see the stewards at 10am UK time. The race is at 2pm.”

I don’t understand what explanation he could give? Why hasn’t he been punished already?

I suppose the stewards will let him off with a warning so as to keep the drama of Hamilton/Verstappen starting 1 & 2 intact?

Let me guess…absolutely nothing will happen, the Stewards are the same as the last race and it’s very clear on which side of the fence they are sitting.

This is interesting, Lewis getting support from the co drivers who agreed to talk, on Max’s attempted mugging of Lewis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59361848

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Let me guess…absolutely nothing will happen, the Stewards are the same as the last race and it’s very clear on which side of the fence they are sitting.

This is interesting, Lewis getting support from the co drivers who agreed to talk, on Max’s attempted mugging of Lewis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59361848

“The other drivers who spoke on the topic pretty much all agreed with Hamilton.”

Those other drivers must be bias Hamilton fan boys. They shouldn’t be allowed in F1 if they are so blatantly fans of another driver. They should all be sacked and replaced by ‘balanced’ drivers who are unbiased.

- In other news, I suspect Max will lose a particular lap from qualifying rather than any grid places (not sure what lap his transgression was though).

D

Deleted member 2719

Err, that Max Verstappen is Dutch and not a gent and drives a car with an Austrian license and sponsored by a Swiss energy drink.
Based in England maybe but not really a thoroughbred British team are they.
Now if you croaked on about Williams and George Russell or McClaren and Lando Norris as much as you do a Dutchman then you would have a valid point.
You need a 50/50 flag in your Avatar.

I am not a Max fan.....I have said this....I am an F1 fan who wants to see two preferably 3 teams who actually stand a chance of winning races, Red bull have closed that gap.

I am Landos and mcLarens no1 fan.:love:

Perhaps you should read what I write, and not read into what you think I think?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here