[Misc] F1 2021

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's the old test that got superceded earlier this year by a beefed up version (as well as addition of stickers to the wings so that flex can be monitored from the onboard cameras). However, I believe even the new test doesn't cover what Red Bull thinks Mercedes are doing. That's because the test only checks if the *entire wing* flexes, while Red Bull's theory is that Mercedes are flexing the main (lower) element of the rear wing in order to cause the slot gap between the two elements to be wider than the rules stipulate (which confers a drag reduction benefit on the straights when it would be flexed open).

Red Bull's theory is based on seeing what they believe to be scoring marks on the Merc endplates that they think are a smoking gun that the element is flexing. Merc says they aren't scoring marks. Either way, apparently the new stickers monitoring system doesn't work very well on the lower main element. It was also interesting the choice of words Wolff used when challenged on it: he essentially just said "it's within the allowance" (which was the same defence Red Bull used earlier this year, but Merc still convinced the FIA to change the test and thus force Red Bull [and others] to change their wing).

What’s the deal with RB’s flapping flap then? Rules are quite clear that no aerodynamic part should move, so are they on thin ice highlighting the Merc’s rear wing when theirs is suspect?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
What’s the deal with RB’s flapping flap then? Rules are quite clear that no aerodynamic part should move, so are they on thin ice highlighting the Merc’s rear wing when theirs is suspect?

When a Red Bull have a broken wing problem they are allowed to just fix it during the session (glue and gaffer tape), or replace it in Parc Ferme between quali and the race.

When Merc have a broken wing problem they get a 20 place grid penalty.

Go figure [emoji2369]

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Perez - Leclerc - Danny Ric all out in Q2 [emoji43]

D

Deleted member 2719

Looks like the Merc is the fastest, Perez can't get any pace from that Red Bull.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Perez out in Q2 is a massive setback for Red Bull IMHO, with the Mercs looking nailed on (bar mishaps) for two of 1-3, Max needed someone to help him, especially with fast starting Alpines / Alphas around him in all likelihood

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Cripes, that’s quite a statement from Lewis

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
604cbf9b5a3b2c6668b60213bf1498fa.jpg

Smashed it [emoji95] Hopefully more of the same tomorrow [emoji1696]

D

Deleted member 2719

Looks like a boring race on the cards tomorrow, barring bad pit stops.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Max has been very impressive off the line by memory, so even though dirty side and a long straight, fully expect him to be challenging Hamilton into the first corner. Mercedes have had a few shockers off the line, if Max gets ahead, could be a great watch.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

D

Deleted member 2719

With Lewis in pole in a car half a second quicker and Max in the dirt, and if Lewis starts as he should, it will be a procession???

Surely even the Lewis fans would prefer Max on pole and lewis in second?

Being a neutral....well slightly Lando biased, I just want an entertaining race.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I think Perez being so far back is going to be the real thorn in Red Bulls side tomorrow. With him firmly out the way Mercedes can potentially use Bottas to force Max into a sub optimum strategy.

Max will be super aggressive into turn 1 as he has little to lose. If he takes Lewis out then he stays ahead in the championship with two races left which could be crucial. He needs to win tomorrow as even if they come out of turn 1 in the starting order, Mercedes will surely stop Bottas early and undercut Max, assuming Bottas has the pace which he should have. Can definitely see a professional foul coming here, hope not as whichever way it goes I want to see the title won/lost fairly

D

Deleted member 2719

That’s absolutely bonkers!

It's like saying 'I'm sure every Man City fan would like to start with 10 men as it makes it more of a game :facepalm:

Do you think it good for the sport for a team/driver to win 8 world championships, it is like Man City winning 8 Premier League titles, 7 in consecutive years?

It's so boring and money-driven, as Albion fans I am sure you must get this???

Would you be Lewis fans if he was driving for Haas?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports