Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much are you enjoying this season?

How much are YOU enjoying this season?

• Immensely

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • A fair amount

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • It’s okay…

Votes: 52 15.8%
  • Very little

Votes: 166 50.3%
  • Not at all!

Votes: 69 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
A strange one for me because it's been a very frustrating season but our standard of football has been mostly brilliant and I've seen almost every one of our games on TV.

I guess the biggest frustration is that our performances have promised so much, this season could easily have been our kost successful in our history and I could have witnessed that in such detail on TV, something that will probably never happen again.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You, Vagabond and Swansman keep banging on about "long term plans" yet we've been in the Amex for 10 years, Poyet was tasked with bringing a common style across the age based teams and Oscar taken on to reinforce that. In that time we've seen Wolves and Leeds overtake us, Leicester who we played in a League One game win the league. When does it all pay off? Next season? The season after that? 2030? Or have we, in reality, hit Poyet's ceiling?

I’m GP in, but not indefinitely like a religion. I still feel there’s light at the end of the tunnel with him and I can still see long term trends and improvements at the club.

But no mistake. Whilst my instinct would be to stick with him, if we do go down, there should be a full inquest and decision made by Tony and the club. I’m certainly not happy with GP’s loyalty to certain players right now, and that’s a deviation from the GP I really liked in his first season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the Albion was just about the football I wouldn't bother going, but what makes it work is the fans and your mates.

This season has been hard work, watching just the football in a bubble. You can't celebrate when we score because of VAR, and even then you can't celebrate because it is almost inevitable the opposition will equalise.

In fact, the only time you can really cut loose is when we take a 2 goals lead, and you can count those occasions on the finger of one hand.

No beer, no pies, no banter. This season has been shit, and we're not even in the bottom three.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You and others are being incredibly obtuse.

The philosophy quite clearly is to play football the right way, like the biggest and best do, and bring through young players in our academy accordingly.

When does it all pay off? It's paying off already - see Sanchez, White, Mac Allister, Lamptey and more top young talent coming through all the time.

In terms of when will it pay off and see ourselves move up the league? Well with this philosophy, it is only a matter of time. Our young players will get better all the time. They are at the right club and playing the right type of football. We could well be in another relegation battle next year, or maybe not. Regardless, we will improve all the time. Our squad will get better all the time. Within 5 years we will be top 10, mark my words.

Patience is key. I know it's wearing thin at the moment given the frustrating results we've had... but it's important to remain mindful of what we are doing at this football club. What Potter has done. It is remarkable. It is the right way to do things. And it will pay off over time, possibly for many years, or decades, to come.

It's certainly remarkable that we're in potentially a worse position than Hughton managed with a Championship quality squad in his first PL season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very little - and not really down to our results. Fanless football has been a useful distraction during lockdown winter months but pretty tired of it now.......can't wait for next season and getting back in grounds, whatever division we're in.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting use of the word dinosaurs. Swanny uses it for other managers. Palace, for instance with that old dinosaur Hodgson managing a club that have been in the Premier League for longer than us and who have finished above us in the regular season every single time without fail and will do so again. Dinosaurs like Dyche who took Burnley to Europe despite their limited crowds and crappy old ground. You, Vagabond and Swansman keep banging on about "long term plans" yet we've been in the Amex for 10 years, Poyet was tasked with bringing a common style across the age based teams and Oscar taken on to reinforce that. In that time we've seen Wolves and Leeds overtake us, Leicester who we played in a League One game win the league. When does it all pay off? Next season? The season after that? 2030? Or have we, in reality, hit Poyet's ceiling?

I dont.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's certainly remarkable that we're in potentially a worse position than Hughton managed with a Championship quality squad in his first PL season.

Going backwards to go forwards I suppose...........? Perfectly acceptable to do that, can't always expect continual progression - massive issue though is how far backwards will things be allowed to go and how long do we wait before results show forward progress. We must be edging a little bit closer to the edge of what Tony thinks is acceptable (and whatever people post, only his view matters), but I suspect he's still fully behind GP.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems 44 people so far are somewhat shocked that we are relegation strugglers. Bizarre

Maybe the club should have kept CH, probably be in the same position but more gritty.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
By calling people with a different opinion dinosaurs I assume that you believe anyone that is fed up with Potter must be old? Interesting, why is that? And why are they idiots because they don’t share your opinion?

I support Potter and I like what he is trying to do - but he does need to get the results and time is running out.

I agree with the result of your comment. There is this misapprehension that all football 50 years ago was hoof and chase - it wasn't and given the fact that the pitches were shite, the training facilities non-existent, the medical supports from the dark ages etc., it is remarkable that the players of that era were able to play an entertaining, passing game. I grew up watching Johnny Giles play football, probably the best passer of a ball ever in English football. The teams he managed in the 1970s played an attacking, passing game - he dramatically increased the reputation of the Irish international team playing that type of football, facilitated by the fact that he had the likes of himself, Steve Heighway, Liam Brady, Tony Dunne, Jimmy Holmes, Eoin Hand, David O'Leary and Gerry Daly in the team (an Irish team deprived of World Cup qualification by bribery of the match officials). This is the type of football I grew up watching and I want to watch - and it is possible to play this type of football and get results too. Johnny Giles (and others like Dave Sexton) showed how to do this almost 50 years ago.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Yes but surely you can see a difference though.

With GP we’re throwing wins and points away. Last night aside we’re battering teams generally and not finishing them off.

Under CH it was backs to the wall, hanging on for dear life every game. And even then we got battered more under dear old CH then we’ve ever done under Potter.

Which way has the most promise, the most potential for our club going forward?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not a great deal, as I prefer being in the ground when watching Brighton. I get far too nervous when watching on the TV and never enjoy the game regardless of the result.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To answer the original question, not at all. I know it was framed around our play but I can't stand not being at games and the lack of fans and over use of VAR has made the game completely soulless and removed the last vestiges of fun from something that's meant to be a leading leisure time activity for the working man and woman. This season would be shit if we were pissing the league by twenty points.

As we're obviously not that just makes it worse. We are extremely frustrating to watch. I sit on the sofa with my son and in my head I'm kicking the ball into the goal myself. West Brom just about finished off any interest I have in the season. Last night I watched because I'd had a few beers and there was nothing better on.

Interesting use of the word dinosaurs. Swanny uses it for other managers. Palace, for instance with that old dinosaur Hodgson managing a club that have been in the Premier League for longer than us and who have finished above us in the regular season every single time without fail and will do so again. Dinosaurs like Dyche who took Burnley to Europe despite their limited crowds and crappy old ground. You, Vagabond and Swansman keep banging on about "long term plans" yet we've been in the Amex for 10 years, Poyet was tasked with bringing a common style across the age based teams and Oscar taken on to reinforce that. In that time we've seen Wolves and Leeds overtake us, Leicester who we played in a League One game win the league. When does it all pay off? Next season? The season after that? 2030? Or have we, in reality, hit Poyet's ceiling?

Yup, this. That long term thing only really works if you keep looking after the shorter term. Else it all tends to fall to pieces. May or may not have all these wondrous starlets coming through the ranks, but how many of them are going to want to stick around for the community values and a wage cap that nobody in any other walk of life would voluntarily submit to? Football is a short career, why would not want to get as much out of it as you can, for both yourself and as payback for those family and friends who supported you all the way through your early years for little or no reward. As for the Albion, not sure where they go from here: go toe-to-toe with the big boys or develop into more of a community sporting hub incorporating maybe a basketball team, an ice-hockey team maybe even teams for some of those odd European sports you have to google. That seems to me to be the choice for the long term

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You used it for Allerdyce.

When?

This is what I said when others did:

Very progressive manager, at least a few years ago. Pretty much the one who introduced data analysis, tactical periodisation, Milan-lab stuff to keep older players fit etc. and it wouldnt surprise me if he keeps firmly in touch with even newer trends as well. The myth that Allardyce is some type of old-school dinosaur manager is just that, a myth, which should infuriate a lot of those who slate him for not being progressive as well as those who romanticise his "old school" ways.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I don't know why some people keep harping back to the team under Hughton. The team didn't play backs to the wall and still get walloped in the Championship. Is the football better now? - of course it is - it is a completely new team. We have no idea what Hughton would or would not have done with this squad of players. However, I would argue that if Potter was the manager when the club was promoted and he tried to play his brand of football with the players Hughton had available to him, then the club would (almost definitely) have been relegated in either of the first two seasons.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not really. I just call out silly arguments and give back as good as I get it. You cast the first stone.

If you throw an insult or are unpleasant towards someone you shouldn’t cry if they respond in kind.

And you conveniently ignore people who highlight your flawed posts and focus on those who you feel you can bully and insult with little comeback.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes but surely you can see a difference though.

With GP we’re throwing wins and points away. Last night aside we’re battering teams generally and not finishing them off.

Under CH it was backs to the wall, hanging on for dear life every game. And even then we got battered more under dear old CH then we’ve ever done under Potter.

Which way has the most promise, the most potential for our club going forward?

Sorry, but that's a complete myth. We deployed a low block against some of the bigger teams some of the time in that season. We beat WBA 3-1 at home and attacked them regularly. We put three past West Ham. We pressed Man U to death in the game that confirmed survival, looking the better side throughout. I was at Old Trafford in November when we were desperately unlucky to lose to them, having matched them pass for pass. Two months later I was having a drink in Birmingham with some clients and one was a Man U box holder who complemented both our team and fans on that game. Swansea were battered 4-1. We had a VERY Potter-esque game against Stoke in mid week, drawing 2-2.

All that with the Championship promotion team, minus a few loans and with only Gross and Ryan added. Potter has FAR better resources at his disposal.

Edit - Propper, Sutner and Izquierdo added and playing too. Greyhound a sub.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You and others are being incredibly obtuse.

The philosophy quite clearly is to play football the right way, like the biggest and best do, and bring through young players in our academy accordingly.

When does it all pay off? It's paying off already - see Sanchez, White, Mac Allister, Lamptey and more top young talent coming through all the time.

In terms of when will it pay off and see ourselves move up the league? Well with this philosophy, it is only a matter of time. Our young players will get better all the time. They are at the right club, with the right managfer and playing the right type of football. We could well be in another relegation battle next year, or maybe not. Regardless, we will improve all the time. Our squad will get better all the time. Within 5 years we will be top 10, mark my words.

Patience is key. I know it's wearing thin at the moment given the frustrating results we've had... but it's important to remain mindful of what we are doing at this football club. What Potter has done. It is remarkable. It is the right way to do things. And it will pay off over time, possibly for many years, or decades, to come.

How far back does relegation set us, assuming we bounce back and don’t get stuck in the Championship wilderness?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Massively. It would be an absolute disaster.

Thankfully it hasn't happened yet and God forbid it won't.

We will be seriously pissed off, can you imagine how TB will feel though?

Has it been a disaster for the three relegated last season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here