[Albion] Lee Mason

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Which is why I said he was only “partly” LOL

Fair enough. Going back that's exactly what you said. And then I mentioned the TWO penalties. Which would have won the game irrespective of the free kick and thus made him partly responsible for us having a lesser goal difference.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Yes we won a penalty but the pressure was huge. If it was 1:1 and we got a penalty then there is less pressure. You could argue Welbeck’s penalty had more pressure because there was less time left and we’d already missed one. Wrongly cancelling out the goal was a pivotal point in the match and increased our chances of losing the game, which we did. Mason is partly responsible for our loss today and if he’d given the goal we could have even got a win.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Fair enough. Going back that's exactly what you said. And then I mentioned the TWO penalties. Which would have won the game irrespective of the free kick and thus made him partly responsible for us having a lesser goal difference.

Hugely frustrated would sum up how I feel about today

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hugely frustrated would sum up how I feel about today

And me too.

Sorry, not meaning to fall out. All I really mean is that a combination of referee, our own uselessness and sheer luck have ruined my weekend. My implicit point is that I think he realised he'd cocked up the free kick and gave us a soft second penalty, which we then spunked,

I can't even say have a good rest of weekend. Mine's ruined.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
And me too.

Sorry, not meaning to fall out. All I really mean is that a combination of referee, our own uselessness and sheer luck have ruined my weekend. My implicit point is that I think he realised he'd cocked up the free kick and gave us a soft second penalty, which we then spunked,

Nooooooo....I like to think we can disagree on something without falling out....and we got there in the end anyway.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It was a farce that he first blew when he did . However whistled again as soon as he realised had made a mistake.. The big mistake and hard to understand was that he allowed goal in first place

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If the goalkeeper has to be ready, why was Dunk's quick freekick at Anfield allowed to stand.

What next when someone scores direct from a free kick, hang on our keeper hadn't confirmed he was ready, you will have to retake that,

Same, with quick corners, surely we are now back in the FA Cup as Leicester scored when we weren't ready.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
And me too.

Interestingly Allardyce reckons the first penalty shouldn't have been given and agreed that the second penalty was correctly awarded.

Today has been a complete shambles and will require some clear thinking from our players in the coming weeks.
I actually feel a little sorry for Lee Mason after todays performance. He's clearly out of his depth and needs to take a break.

This crazy season and the continued use of VAR has certainly proved to be a too bigger challenge for some officials.
However we do need them in order to play the fixtures and they are deemed to be the elite of the country. Which is a bit of a worry.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I’ve just listened to the drivel put forward by Dermot Gallagher - as usual he ends up praising the ref for giving himself thinking time by going to the sideline and then coming to the ‘correct’ decision. He had just lost focus for a while apparently. Rubbish imo.

WBA made the foul and were penalised. Dunky wanted to take advantage which LM allows and blows whistle. The fact that the keeper wasn’t ready should be irrelevant. Stupid LM then compounds it all in increasingly poor decisions and we end up being denied an excellent opportunistic strike(the only one all game).

Dunky called it correctly in his post-match interview. Yet another example since then of referee body and ex refs ‘protecting’ their own. Not good enough(rather like our goal scoring)

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I’ve yet to see a goal line technology still of where the ball was when he blow the second whistle. Maybe MOTD will sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Firstly the Southampton handball debacle, then the pathetic red card for soucek (he was the VAR) and now this. All in the space of a month.

Surely they need to have a think here. Is he really fit to be refereeing in the best league in the world?

NO , he isn't , nor are several others we could all mention ...

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I think people are getting confused about 'quick' free kicks.

A quick free kick is when the game doesn't stop. E.g Player A gets fouled and immediately player B takes the free kick.

The free kick today, the game stopped (it actually took us over 10 seconds to even get the ball back as their player was holding onto it). In this instance, you cannot take the free kick until the ref has blown his whistle and usually the ref will make this clear to both the goalkeeper and the player/s taking the free kick.

With the free kick today, whilst West Brom are still setting up their wall, you can see Dunk and Mason exchange words and then Mason immediately blows his whistle to indicate we can take the free kick. I can only assume Dunk has asked if he can take it now, Mason has said yes and then blown his whistle.

Now, this is where Mason realizes that West Brom are still setting up their wall and the keeper isn't ready. In a split second, the ref either has to blow the whistle to cancel it or let it go. In this scenario, one team will be hard done by. One team will have had a perfectly legitimate goal by the laws of the game ruled out and the other team will have conceded a goal because the ref blew earlier than he should have.

If, after he blew the 2nd time, he explained this and made us re-take the free kick, I think this would have been understandable (although we'd still have cause to feel aggrieved).

However, the fact that he doesn't give the goal and then changes his mind and does give it, exacerbates what a cock up it was from Mason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here