[Albion] Lee Mason

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Interestingly Allardyce reckons the first penalty shouldn't have been given and agreed that the second penalty was correctly awarded.

Today has been a complete shambles and will require some clear thinking from our players in the coming weeks.
I actually feel a little sorry for Lee Mason after todays performance. He's clearly out of his depth and needs to take a break.

This crazy season and the continued use of VAR has certainly proved to be a too bigger challenge for some officials.
However we do need them in order to play the fixtures and they are deemed to be the elite of the country. Which is a bit of a worry.

Take a break? Take a break??? Are you mad? That man should never referee a match again. He typifies the sort of refs
we have in the game. Hated at school, never played football, egocentric, incompetent at everything he does and looking for an outlet for his
frustration at being s*it at everything in life.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
We are grasping at straws blaming ref. He made two mistakes. Most serious one was blowing for kick to be taken. Next was panicking and allowing goal. Sorry unfortunate but right decision was made in end. It would have been a farce to allow goal when keeper was on far post lining up wall

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
O K , we did not only lose because of the ref. We missed a hatful of good chances, but we did score a goal . Dunk was given permission to take it , we heard the whistle. If that was wrong then the ref has to live with it. You cannot change your mind in that situation. What is the rule? You play to the whistle.
The ref was badly in error, should not referee the professional game at any level.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
We are grasping at straws blaming ref. He made two mistakes. Most serious one was blowing for kick to be taken. Next was panicking and allowing goal. Sorry unfortunate but right decision was made in end. It would have been a farce to allow goal when keeper was on far post lining up wall

Happened at Liverpool when we played them. What's your answer to that?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I’ve yet to see a goal line technology still of where the ball was when he blow the second whistle. Maybe MOTD will sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Has anybody seen this yet? In real time looks like the ball is in the net when the second whistle blows

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Has anybody seen this yet? In real time looks like the ball is in the net when the second whistle blows

Not seen any footage of it, but the time line in one of today's Sunday papers is very revealing in that it quotes Simon Hooper at 28mins 49secs deciding the ball had crossed the line before the second whistle. He therefore instructed Mason to change his mind and award the goal.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

****ing rubbish. Dunk asked if he could take the free kick, Mason said yes and blew the whistle. Dunk scored. Goal. Similar to the one Dunk scored against Liverpool. There is no requirement to wait for the defence to get fully set up. We should not forget the fact that Hooper is a total **** and hates Brighton. He is the one who ultimately persuaded the cretin Mason to disallow the goal because the moron can't stop blowing his ****ing whistle. Having seen it again on MOTD this morning it still seems to me that the ball was already in the net before the second whistle was blown. Perhaps we should have a discussion about who needs to hear the second whistle to determine at what point it was blown? Sound travels at 343 metres per second. t
he 4th official was around 50 metres from the referee so he would definitely not have heard the whistle until the ball was in the net. Hooper, the VAR **** was over 100 miles away and, therefore, didnt hear the whistle in real time at all but could only hear it through electronic transmission, fraught with error!

Last edited:

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
Its the goalkeepers job to keep himself in a position to make a save, not be off to one side spending ages making a wall perfect, you learn that at an early age, the ref clearly blew to take the freekick so what if the GK isn't ready and is farting around. The ball was still and in the correct place for the freekick to be taken.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
After all the shambolic coming and going at the end of the day we did not lose the game due to this one decision. We missed two penalties and an open goal. We are not one of the lowest scorers for no reason

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
After all the shambolic coming and going at the end of the day we did not lose the game due to this one decision. We missed two penalties and an open goal. We are not one of the lowest scorers for no reason

It’s hard to blame a ref in a game you get 2 pens. I actually thought the 2nd would be overturned as he seemed to get something on the ball - I’d have been protesting if that was against us.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Point me in the direction of the law stating when a freekick is taken the goalkeeper has to be ready?

I know for a fact I'll be waiting a long time for it doesn't exist anywhere in the laws.

You can't make up laws on the hoof or dream them up as the ref did here and you have in your post.

It was a complete farce that it wasn't allowed. You and Mason need to look at the laws.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Not seen any footage of it, but the time line in one of today's Sunday papers is very revealing in that it quotes Simon Hooper at 28mins 49secs deciding the ball had crossed the line before the second whistle. He therefore instructed Mason to change his mind and award the goal.

I find it difficult to believe that the **** Hooper would ever make a VAR decision in our favour but if that report is accurate there should be an FA investigation into Mason's behaviour. It appeared to me watching on MOTD that the second whistle was heard on the TV after the ball hit the net.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Not seen any footage of it, but the time line in one of today's Sunday papers is very revealing in that it quotes Simon Hooper at 28mins 49secs deciding the ball had crossed the line before the second whistle. He therefore instructed Mason to change his mind and award the goal.[/

Not sure why they haven’t showed the goal line angle, almost like there’s some kind of cover up.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It’s hard to blame a ref in a game you get 2 pens. I actually thought the 2nd would be overturned as he seemed to get something on the ball - I’d have been protesting if that was against us.

True to an extent but, as the old adage has it, "goals change games". For a team that struggles so much to score, having an equaliser incorrectly chalked off is a very big deal indeed, ramping up the pressure for those penalties. I don't think even the most optimistic WBA fan would have fancied their chances if that goal had stood, considering how the balance swung so much in our favour from that point on.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Point me in the direction of the law stating when a freekick is taken the goalkeeper has to be ready?

I know for a fact I'll be waiting a long time for it doesn't exist anywhere in the laws.

You can't make up laws on the hoof or dream them up as the ref did here and you have in your post.

It was a complete farce that it wasn't allowed. You and Mason need to look at the laws.

The free kick taker usually asks the ref if it can be taken. Dunk says he did so and Mason agreed. This version of events has not been disputed (so far), in which case the goal should have stood. Mason needs a rest from the PL.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Time line.jpg

That's the time line

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not seen any footage of it, but the time line in one of today's Sunday papers is very revealing in that it quotes Simon Hooper at 28mins 49secs deciding the ball had crossed the line before the second whistle. He therefore instructed Mason to change his mind and award the goal.[/

Not sure why they haven’t showed the goal line angle, almost like there’s some kind of cover up.

Every replay I saw at half time I am convinced the ball has crossed the line before the second whistle.

Its clear to me it must have because with technology now a days they know the millisecond when a ball crosses the goal line so they can compare that to the millisecond the ref starts the second blow of the whistle.

Therefore the evidence is being ignored to protect an incompetent referee

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
True to an extent but, as the old adage has it, "goals change games". For a team that struggles so much to score, having an equaliser incorrectly chalked off is a very big deal indeed, ramping up the pressure for those penalties. I don't think even the most optimistic WBA fan would have fancied their chances if that goal had stood, considering how the balance swung so much in our favour from that point on.

The butterfly effect of equalising after 30 mins will have been huge.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
- Blows whistle
- Dunk scores
- Blows whistle to deny the goal
- Dunk reminds him that he blew the whistle before the goal
- Gives the goal
- Goes to VAR
- VAR can't find much wrong with it, desperately looking for offside or any reason to deny it
- After deliberation, the ref and VAR team decides that the initial whistle was to stop the freekick to check the keeper was ready.

That's the official story anyway. SO WHY DID HE GIVE THE GOAL??

Utter incompetance. He literally made up a story to save face.

Why is it ok to take a quick free kick all over the pitch except outside the penalty area?

Totally different in the rugby when Wales took a quick penalty and despite the England players talking in a group, as instructed, the ref allowed the try to stand!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports