Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lee Mason

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Every replay I saw at half time I am convinced the ball has crossed the line before the second whistle.

Its clear to me it must have because with technology now a days they know the millisecond when a ball crosses the goal line so they can compare that to the millisecond the ref starts the second blow of the whistle.

Therefore the evidence is being ignored to protect an incompetent referee

This.
Sky showed during the game a replay with stadium sound. Taking that there may be a minor delay because of acoustics, watch where Mason has his hand with the whistle in. It's by his side. The time line is ref blows whistle, Dunk kicks ball, ref lifts arm up to blow second whistle. The ball is traveling quicker than Mason can lift his arm and place the whistle in his mouth. Ball has crossed the line.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why is it ok to take a quick free kick all over the pitch except outside the penalty area?

Totally different in the rugby when Wales took a quick penalty and despite the England players talking in a group, as instructed, the ref allowed the try to stand!

Rediculous, isn’t it? As if there’d be a law to state that the team that suffered the foul has to wait until the team that committed the foul has had time to get all its tallest outfield players back behind the ball in the most effective defensive formation possible.

I’m fairly certain that that rugby ref ****ed up because he assumed that the Welsh were simply going to take the easy 3 points. And they probably would have if he hadn’t declared time on whilst Farrell was still passing on his message as the ref had instructed.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This.
Sky showed during the game a replay with stadium sound. Taking that there may be a minor delay because of acoustics, watch where Mason has his hand with the whistle in. It's by his side. The time line is ref blows whistle, Dunk kicks ball, ref lifts arm up to blow second whistle. The ball is traveling quicker than Mason can lift his arm and place the whistle in his mouth. Ball has crossed the line.

This is not one of those things that anybody ever envisaged VAR being used for. Yet again it shows the limitation of 'microscopic' scrutiny of decisions when they're not even using technology that can be considered that accurate. We're talking, what, hundredths of a second between that second whistle blowing and the ball being in the back of the net. All common sense dictates that the second whistle made not the slightest bit of difference to anything that happened on the field of play. No West Brom player stopped trying, the keeper was nowhere. It was a clever, well-taken, quick free-kick and a goal.

Sadly, all common sense has gone out of the window.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Steps down from next match after "sustaining an injury" yesterday

Injury? My arse. Now not only a coward but an incompetent coward who is afraid to admit his own mistakes
and admit that he is no longer fit to ref.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Injury? My arse. Now not only a coward but an incompetent coward who is afraid to admit his own mistakes

In the last few minutes he was hobbling and I commented to my son the useless **** can't even keep up with play now

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills

Agree . You don’t exactly need to be fully fit to be a fourth official. You just stand there between the dugouts for a couple of hours . Even I could do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
True to an extent but, as the old adage has it, "goals change games". For a team that struggles so much to score, having an equaliser incorrectly chalked off is a very big deal indeed, ramping up the pressure for those penalties. I don't think even the most optimistic WBA fan would have fancied their chances if that goal had stood, considering how the balance swung so much in our favour from that point on.

Exactly right.

Look, we all know we didn’t perform yesterday, and we missed two penalties. But that doesn’t take away the fact we were denied a perfectly good equaliser.

And as you say if that goes in, I fancy us very strongly. The way it worked out must have played on the players minds as well to a degree. We were certainly all talking about that decision, imagine those on the pitch.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A number of us have questioned the use of VAR here.

I have given this some thought, VAR couldn't get involved until a goal is given as no incident happened to review. I do now wonder if Mason didn't know how he should restart the game, he spoke to Hooper and between them gave the goal so then Hooper could get involved in making a decision. He then looked at the play and decided after looking at the play that in his very poor judgement the whistle went before the ball crossed the line. In deciding that the only way to restart the game correctly was to drop the ball to the keeper as it happened when the ball was in the penalty area. Which again he failed to uphold the laws of the game.

i would like the TV company to enhance the sound and have a view from the goal line camera.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
We need to get some refs that have actually played the game at a higher level.

I would also like to get some refs that look the part too..... like some hard looking c*nts (maybe ex special forces) who laugh at divers and tell them to stop being pussies.

But more so, maybe some refs who have actually played at a decent level would do for now :lolol:

I can never understand why, when they don't give the free kick/penalty, they don't then book the player for simulation.
I'm willing to bet that after a while you will see the players trying really hard to stay on their feet.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I can never understand why, when they don't give the free kick/penalty, they don't then book the player for simulation.
I'm willing to bet that after a while you will see the players trying really hard to stay on their feet.

Agreed I would like to see cards given out more often for simulation too.

It is tough call though, as going down doesn't always equate to diving.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
10836e30daa06742b4bc8dd481c340be.jpg

EDIT: Oops, looks like I was late to post this. Oh well.

Interesting. “An injury”....

Honestly, I wish they’d properly invest in training these refs and pay them more - hopefully attract top talent.

Currently it’s really not worth the hassle, as a job IMO.

Source:
https://www.eurosport.com/football/...lewis-dunk-controversy_sto8153598/story.shtml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A number of us have questioned the use of VAR here.

I have given this some thought, VAR couldn't get involved until a goal is given as no incident happened to review. I do now wonder if Mason didn't know how he should restart the game, he spoke to Hooper and between them gave the goal so then Hooper could get involved in making a decision. He then looked at the play and decided after looking at the play that in his very poor judgement the whistle went before the ball crossed the line. In deciding that the only way to restart the game correctly was to drop the ball to the keeper as it happened when the ball was in the penalty area. Which again he failed to uphold the laws of the game.

i would like the TV company to enhance the sound and have a view from the goal line camera.
You don't enhanced sound, not in an empty stadium.

Just a goal line view and a wave form underneath. It would be very easy to see whether the ball crossed the line or not.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Any chance we can get a crowdfunder going to clone an army of Pierre Luigi Collina's and get all these bumbling baffoons replaced?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Am I alone in, comedy that it was, not feeling any anger against Lee Mason? Bloke made a mistake. A big one at that. But really, it’s drawn attention away from our bigger mistakes which are missing two penalties and at least one sitter. And the fact this is an established pattern to every game we play and have played all season and I don’t even think Lee Mason should get a footnote in our end of season relegation enquiry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here