Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Australia v India

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's been a brilliant performance from India after all out for 36 and losing their captain and possibly best batsman.

Commentary was just awful on BT sports. So biased until the match was lost.

Paine wasn't his normal chirpy self was he?

Didn't he say something about wait until the Gabba? Ha! first defeat since 1988. Hope we can beat them there too!

I was listening to the ABC commentary through the night which featured the wonderful Jim Maxwell, one of the great cricket commentators. Always a pleasure to listen to him.

In general I found the comms team quite cocky but still very much appreciative of what India achieved here. It was a truly astonishing victory.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was listening to the ABC commentary through the night which featured the wonderful Jim Maxwell, one of the great cricket commentators. Always a pleasure to listen to him.

In general I found the comms team quite cocky but still very much appreciative of what India achieved here. It was a truly astonishing victory.

So did I and agree Jim is pure class.

Favourite moment was Cummings, who had carried the bowling all day, getting smashed for 6.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Watched from the start for two hours and then got up early to witness one of the finest wins ever in Test Cricket. So wished I'd just watched the whole thing.

Love seeing the cheats lose at anything but first and foremost was the unbelievable display from these Indian cricketers. Amazing.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Great victory, sure. Great radio, sure. But one of the best wins ever? No.
The pitch had flattened out and they only needed to go at 3 an over.
The Stokes test, for one, surpassed it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Nah, that was far better than the Headingley win (good as that was).

First of all, England were at full strength, they were at home and they benefited from some brainless cricket from Aussies. If they hadn't burned their reviews, England would have lost and if Lyon hadn't fumbled at the end, England would have lost,

Australia made no such mistake this time round but India didn't need the chances. It was like a film script.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

First of all, England were at full strength, they were at home and they benefited from some brainless cricket from Aussies. If they hadn't burned their reviews, England would have lost and if Lyon hadn't fumbled at the end, England would have lost,

Australia made no such mistake this time round but India didn't need the chances. It was like a film script.

I’m not disputing the drama but that pitch got easier to bat on. The target was less than 400. It was a surprise, but not a big one, to wake up and find India was on the verge of victory. Even without Kohli they had a strong batting line-up to 7 or 8. This is India we are talking about, not Bangladesh.
From the position England found themselves in at Headingley a win was impossible. That was never the case in this test.
Sometimes a lot of noise is made about a sporting victory at the time but it fades away. I think it will be one of them. Stokes at Headingley will never get forgotten.
Anyway, it was a superb match. And what a series. Test cricket is the winner.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Listened to the last 90 mins or so on the radio (R5 live taking the Aussie feed). Thought it was excellent.
As for the win by India - just wow. Outstanding test cricket and one of the best ever.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

The film script was brilliant. The wicket was a 5th day worn wicket with cracks. One ball Lyon bowled right into the crack but instead of an implayable dart towards the wicket it jagged sharply away from the wicket and eluded the woeful Paine for 4 byes.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Like you say ‘The Stokes test’ Ben stokes saved us with a once in a life time innings. England were well on their way to losing that game really, got in a winning position then nearly threw it away.

To chase down 330 at the Gabba against the current Aussie bowling attack regardless of anything is a truly remarkable feat, nobody had beaten Australia at the Gabba since 1988 (WI) and it was a true team effort with Pujara grinding the Aussie pacers into the dirt and most of the team contributing to the total.

As a whole series, I’m in no doubt that it is the most heroic performance I’ve ever seen from a touring side, they’ve not only shown true resilience and fight, they had the balls to go for it today It’s been the kind of series you would never believe unless you’d watched it, I can count at least 10 times I thought India were about to go under and they’ve risen up and shown incredible mental fortitude.

Imagine the odds you’d have got on an Indian series win after they were bowled out for 36 and Kohli went home.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The film script was brilliant. The wicket was a 5th day worn wicket with cracks. One ball Lyon bowled right into the crack but instead of an implayable dart towards the wicket it jagged sharply away from the wicket and eluded the woeful Paine for 4 byes.

Yeah, I'm not sure where DJ got the idea that the wicket was playing easily. Tell that to Pujara - he got hit ten times! And Lyon was making the ball turn and bounce, apart from the one you mentioned, there was one where Smith had to dive to stop and the one that Paine took at head height. It wasn't a raging bunsen but it was a tricky fifth day wicket.

It's several hours now and I still can't get over how India won that - it was quite incredible

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I watched the morning session in which India ambled along and Pujara was not remotely interested in attacking.

People lament the influence of the one-day game on test cricket but I think this is an example of it actually benefitting the long game. Because of their IPL experience the Indians know that they can knock off 150 in 30 overs / 2 hours, and therefore they can afford to take it easy for the first half of the final day. This makes for exciting cricket.

At the start of the day the commentators were saying the Aussie team should be able to contain the Indians, slow the match down and set defensive fields etc. I don't think they really thought India had any chance of winning, certainly not after the Aussies made their early breakthrough.

I wouldn't want to be in Tim Paine's shoes. But what an incredible achievement by India - this could be one of the best things to happen to test cricket in years.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

My comment was based on BT sport but no idea who it was.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm still buzzing from that. Just gave a synopsis of the day's play to my dad. He didn't sound entirely convinced when I was enthusing about a player getting a dozen off of 100 deliveries and then 'racing' to 56 off of 211.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Even as an Aussie, I have to say magnificent win by the Indians. Saw the potential for this to happen before the last day started: India had a go at in in the Sydney test before backing off for the draw. Then first innings at the Gabba, the lower order showed what could be done.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yeah, I'm not sure where DJ got the idea that the wicket was playing easily. Tell that to Pujara - he got hit ten times! And Lyon was making the ball turn and bounce, apart from the one you mentioned, there was one where Smith had to dive to stop and the one that Paine took at head height. It wasn't a raging bunsen but it was a tricky fifth day wicket.

It's several hours now and I still can't get over how India won that - it was quite incredible

As a committed North Stand Chatter it’s my duty to stick to my guns even when every single expert in the cricketing world says I’m wrong.
So it was a routine win for India on a flat road that will be forgotten by the weekend.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think England in India is something to look forward to now. As much as an Ashes series.

The way the long format is going, Australia and India are the two away series giants now.

I think 3-0 India. I could see them doing a clean sweep. But it's a great test.

Pundits keep on about the Ashes. But for me, India in India is just as huge.

ADD: Just taken a look. India have only lost two home series in the last 20 years. Last to England in 2012

Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It sounds unlikely that anyone from the UK will be able to visit Australia to watch England regain the Ashes this winter......

(From The Torygraph)
England's Barmy Army are increasingly likely to be locked out of next winter's Ashes after Australia warned its borders may remain shut until next year.

A host of tour operators have warned fans in recent days that the November to January tour was uncertain prior to a meeting of the Cricket Australia Board next month.

Brendan Murphy, the secretary of the nation's health department, added to mounting doubt on Monday as he warned of restrictions that could last the rest of the year.

“I think that we’ll go most of this year with still substantial border restrictions - even if we have a lot of the population vaccinated, we don’t know whether that will prevent transmission of the virus,” he said.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It sounds unlikely that anyone from the UK will be able to visit Australia to watch England regain the Ashes this winter......

(From The Torygraph)
England's Barmy Army are increasingly likely to be locked out of next winter's Ashes after Australia warned its borders may remain shut until next year.

A host of tour operators have warned fans in recent days that the November to January tour was uncertain prior to a meeting of the Cricket Australia Board next month.

Brendan Murphy, the secretary of the nation's health department, added to mounting doubt on Monday as he warned of restrictions that could last the rest of the year.

“I think that we’ll go most of this year with still substantial border restrictions - even if we have a lot of the population vaccinated, we don’t know whether that will prevent transmission of the virus,” he said.

These kind of articles are bordering on insanity, it’s nearly a year away ffs. Besides, they won’t do the ashes wish no fans IMO, it reduces the Australians advantage too much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here