Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter critics: where do you think we should be in the league?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The type of football played had improved. The squad has improved. The facilities have improved. The development of players has improved. The criteria for new players has improved.
We now have a basis for progression and it ain’t going to happen overnight, and it won’t be helped by changing the management after six league games.
Christ, people on here either have short memories or are a bunch of JCLs.

It is not a question of memory loss, it is one of turning all the good things you point out into results. We don't have time to faff about with a 'basis for progression'; that is not enough to beat an awful team on a Monday night. Of course there are bad days and good days, but the latter have been really thin since Christmas; can we please move off base and win a few games.

Right now, we are relegation material, which is, I suppose, a base from which you can only progress.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
tbh I'm unsure where we should be in the league but I think its a bit odd to be full into Potter when really he hasn't done much.

Would prefer more grit than empty possession .

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
We avoided defeat in two games against rivals, one without our captain. I’d say worst things could have happened. And that’s hardly relegation form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In and around Stains and CP, in mid table.

We’ve had 7 transfer windows now, the (fair) rookies excuse long since irrelevant.

We lack a defence who can churn out clean sheets, have awful game management and aren’t street wise.

Sums it up for me. Potter is currently doing the bare minimum to keep his job. Even his most vocal cheerleaders will get fed up constantly defending the possession stats when we are constantly dropping points.

While there is life there is hope but he’s got to get more consistent in getting results, let’s leave the artistic merit to the ice skating judges

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Potter, apparently tipped as the best coach in the country by Ashworth, t

And there you have it. All the Power with no accountability.

Ashworth was the same at West Brom except that Michael Appleton was the Golden Boy back then when he was insistent that Roy Hodgson retained Appleton as part of his coaching staff.

I think Potter has done really well and he is very brave in the way that he sets up and plays.

I don't think Brighton will go down. They are better side than at least 3 others but no way is this squad a mid table squad.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
The developing problem is there ARE 3 teams worse than us. There's actually 8 or 9, but we can't currently pick up results. We're plodding along again with a mid table team and no big ticket striker so will again deserve our 16th or 17th position. Building well and signs of improvement are there but we have to pick up SOME results to kick on and to do that we have to finish SOME chances.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The developing problem is there ARE 3 teams worse than us. There's actually 8 or 9, but we can't currently pick up results. We're plodding along again with a mid table team and no big ticket striker so will again deserve our 16th or 17th position. Building well and signs of improvement are there but we have to pick up SOME results to kick on and to do that we have to finish SOME chances.

Who are the 8 or 9 teams worse than us?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Genuinely curious. Me? I’m gutted tonight, though I’ll stick with Potter even if we go down.

But there’s a few here who have wanted Potter out for a while. They pop up whenever we have a result. They seem to be impassioned fans, so I take them at their word. But I never get a straight answer.

So for those haters and critics who want Potter OUT.

WHERE do you think we should aiming for in the league? Top 8? Top 10? Mid table? Above relegation? In relegation zone?

Because I’ve just seen one guy slating Potter, and then in the same breath say our players “ain’t good enough”. So what is it?

People can be critical of Potter without wanting him out right now you know.

Personally I want to see less suicidal errors at the back, and not make the same mistake as Arsenal did years ago, keep trying to walk the ball into the net. Occassionally we need to be more robust, Maupay to me is not enough to be our MAIN striker, hopefully Welbeck can help out with these issues. Where should we be? We should be aiming for mid table, not looking over our shoulder.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

That the point isn’t it. They lost 0-9 and he managed to turn them around. Our bloke has nothing about him at all. We don’t win matches under this bloke. We scored a last min goal against Utd and then let an even later goal in! For all our possession we were woeful against Palace. It’s not just about tonight, nothing has changed. Lots of passes and lose or draw at best!

ant thats my point too - they mamaged to turn it around, why cant we? We are not as good as Southampton - they finished comfortably above us. But we can move in that direction.I dont agree we were woeful against Palace, nor Man United other than daft mistake at the end. You suggested it was lack of fight fight, I am suggesting it is still work in progress.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
ant thats my point too - they mamaged to turn it around, why cant we? We are not as good as Southampton - they finished comfortably above us. But we can move in that direction.I dont agree we were woeful against Palace, nor Man United other than daft mistake at the end. You suggested it was lack of fight fight, I am suggesting it is still work in progress.

Results wise I’ve seen no improvements. The style is an improvement. Imagine that this work in progress is actually the finished product. Does GP have the nouse and experience to push them further? I don’t think so.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I am not a Potter critic, I have loved watching us since he arrived but tonight we were absolute shite from the moment we scored. I’d quite like to see a pissed off Potter after that performance not a philosophical one :shrug:

That's never going to happen.

This quote from Potter, taken from an interview he did with the FA on his 5 leadership values indicates he will always be consistent.

"When you’re in a leadership role, people need to know that win, lose, or draw, there has to be a consistency in how you act and behave. Rather than you win and everything is good and then you lose and everything is bad.

There has to be a consistency in what you’re doing and how you do it."

This indicates he has a very high level of emotional intelligence. Unlike those on here who rant like spoilt children over the odd poor performance.

Potters job is to build confidence, do that and good performances will naturally follow.

You don't do that by throwing the team under the bus.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Not a Potter critic but in response to the OP, I would hope we finish this season in 13th/14th place. I don’t think that’s too unreasonable a hope in our fourth season, and I’m sure it’s something Tony and Graham are both aspiring to this year as well.

We’ve taken 5 points out of a possible 9 against the non-big 7 opponents we’ve played this season, which isn’t bad. Could be better, could be worse. Would like to see Maupay and Connolly starting with each other like at the beginning of the season.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The team is still in transition. We are young. The spine has been softened by the departure of Stephens (and Murray to some extent). Potter is clearly struggling to do the alchemy. Maupay is constipated in front of goal. We could/should have got more from Palace & Man U - but West Brom did play well second half and we were unable to keep them out; Dunk’s absence cannot be underestimated here. ****ing frustrating.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
That's never going to happen.

This quote from Potter, taken from an interview he did with the FA on his 5 leadership values indicates he will always be consistent.

"When you’re in a leadership role, people need to know that win, lose, or draw, there has to be a consistency in how you act and behave. Rather than you win and everything is good and then you lose and everything is bad.

There has to be a consistency in what you’re doing and how you do it."

This indicates he has a very high level of emotional intelligence. Unlike those on here who rant like spoilt children over the odd poor performance.

Potters job is to build confidence, do that and good performances will naturally follow.

You don't do that by throwing the team under the bus.

He’s too placid for my liking. He needs to show more sides than just the soft one. It’s totally uninspiring for fans and players. As I said before it allows for a coasting nature within the team.

I’d love to have seen us play poor football but win 2-0 last night and 2-1 vs palace.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Re the comments Quoted above from Potter......
What about the most successful manager , Alex Ferguson and his infamous “hairdryer” post match rants?
Motivation must involve honesty and to only talk about the good things avoids the issue. I am sick of post match platitudes.
The fans deserve honesty too. If we were crap , then admit that we were crap...that our forwards couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo!When you’re in a leadership role, people need to know that win, lose, or draw, there has to be a consistency in how you act and behave. Rather than you win and everything is good and then you lose and everything is bad.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
The type of football played had improved. The squad has improved. The facilities have improved. The development of players has improved. The criteria for new players has improved.
We now have a basis for progression and it ain’t going to happen overnight, and it won’t be helped by changing the management after six league games.
Christ, people on here either have short memories or are a bunch of JCLs.

Relegation isn’t progression either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm not a Potter critic but to now be in a 4th successive dour bottom 5 relegation battle season is very disappointing.

We need to be creating and retaining a 6 point cushion between us and the relegation battle teams by now. Where is that progress ? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here