[Albion] Potter critics: where do you think we should be in the league?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What player was left for our potless chairman to sign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol

I can think of 200,000,000 reasons why this post is ridiculous.

Perhaps you would like to put your hand in your pocket to pay for a better striker?

EDIT: Please god, tell me I have just been wooshed!!!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Only one place higher but two points better off.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I am not a Potter critic, I have loved watching us since he arrived but tonight we were absolute shite from the moment we scored. I’d quite like to see a pissed off Potter after that performance not a philosophical one :shrug:

This really. I don't expect him to call out individuals in public but that cannot have been acceptable to the management anymore than it was to us? WBA will be relegated of that I am positive while I am loath to say we should be beating teams like.. In this case we should be and the fact that we didn't and by the end were clinging on for dear life has to be a concern after a mostly good start to the season.

It's not panic stations but its not another day at the office either...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm perplexed as to why White is in midfield and Alzate on the bench. Put White in defence.

Equally, in a game we should be trying to put to bed, why take Lallana off at 60 minutes?

Bizarre decisions which I would not have made, but hey, I'm not a football manager.

I would say last night was definitely 2 points dropped and we should have 7 points.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agree - I said last night our subs were poor.

On commentary last night they were astounded how poor Burn is in the air for his height - we've all known that for some time, right?

Quite - couldn’t get an Evening Argus under his feet sometimes.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
1 maybe 2 places higher but more importantly actually looking the better team at home to WBA who are favourites for relegation.

Is the "no dickheads policy" (if it actually exists) hurting us in the more basic games, I think the players are generally technically good enough to be better placed but I do question our mental attitude to rolls up our sleeves and get stuck in when the run of play turns against us we seem to lack gamesmanship and the never say die attitude - so do we actually need a couple of dickheads who will run through brickwalls for the team?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This really. I don't expect him to call out individuals in public but that cannot have been acceptable to the management anymore than it was to us? WBA will be relegated of that I am positive while I am loath to say we should be beating teams like.. In this case we should be and the fact that we didn't and by the end were clinging on for dear life has to be a concern after a mostly good start to the season.

It's not panic stations but its not another day at the office either...

Although we weren’t beaten last night, this reminds me of our capitulations under Hughton to Cardiff and Bournemouth.

According to reports, these games made Tony sit up and notice and start considering a change.

So I have no doubt Tony would be concerned by last night.
But I don’t think it’s red alert either, still a very long way to go. We played fantastic first half, and dire second half.

Let’s see where we are by Christmas. I suspect we’ll be in a slightly better position. And then I think all criticism will be fair game.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
We have one of the smallest budgets in the league so finishing anywhere above the bottom 5 would be a massive achievement.

Player spend over last 5 years:

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
8. Bournemouth – £176.95m
9. Aston Villa – £166.65m
10. Watford – £125.69m
11. Leicester City – £124.83m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
16. Crystal Palace – £75.69m
17. Burnley – £59.4m
18. Sheffield United – £56.71m
19. Southampton – £22.32m
20. Norwich City – £25.42m profit

???

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I'm perplexed as to why White is in midfield and Alzate on the bench. Put White in defence.

Equally, in a game we should be trying to put to bed, why take Lallana off at 60 minutes?

Bizarre decisions which I would not have made, but hey, I'm not a football manager.

I would say last night was definitely 2 points dropped and we should have 7 points.

I raised the question last night, Biss and Alzate looked absolutely class as a midfield partnership.

Why on earth did we change that? I suspect to accommodate White and to take the pressure off him in defence.

Alzate has to play though. Shouldn’t be at his expense IMO.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
It certainly feels like it . What’s changed in 3 and a bit seasons ?

Better first 11, better bench options, younger squad that can only improve and better youngsters in the U23’s, 19’s, etc.

Oh, and the best football Brighton have ever played at the highest level of the English pyramid.

Apart from that though, not much...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
10. Watford – £125.69m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
17. Burnley – £59.4m

???

I suspect the poster you are quoting was referring to salary budget.

And that above is net spend, which is hugely misleading. Ie Liverpool “only” spent 100 odd million, because they made huge huge sales selling world class players like Suarez and Coutinho.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
10. Watford – £125.69m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
17. Burnley – £59.4m

???

Transfer fees don’t mean much these days. Our wage bill would be bottom 3 and the Premier League table is almost always in wage bill order.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What is all the fuss about, I don't get, where just where do people think we should be top 10 ? well is that actually success in this league ?
Nope, we will forever struggle in this league, we will never be safe, that is a fact for not just us all the teams other than Liverpool, Man Utd & City, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton and now maybe Leicester are just a few defeats away from each other none of them will ever win the league. besides those 8 teams the rest of us are also rans, we make up the numbers, to be honest we will never challenge those teams, sure we might get the odd victory over one of them, or a team like us may get to and win a cup final, but that is it. So would we be happy if we hit that top 10 position year on year ? No of course not, people will moan, it is what we do, it is what all fans do...

Potter is doing a great job, we are still in transition and bringing in players like Lallana and Welbeck raises our profile not just for fans, but also other players who may think, we are progressing which we are and be tempted to join our club. It is a slow trudged affair and we will have many ups and downs, but it has to be done this way because we don't have a rich oligarch or Arabian prince throwing money at us.

Take also into account these are strange times, we know how covid has affected us all over this year causing anxiety and in some cases a loss to friends and family.
These players are still being made to travel, and play they could also be playing through issues which we can relate to, but because they are well paid we actually think it should not count for them, they should just get on with it, like many of us do. I don't know about you, but I occasionally watch the news and read about a second wave coming and think to myself I don't want to go to work if I had a choice, but I don't I need the money, so do they.

The fact there are no crowds is a massive factor on results this year, it is clear to see after a goal comes is conceded, there is not the roar of the crowed to wake them up, push them forward, galvanise extra energy or warn them of an incoming tackle from behind, all these factors should be taken into account, yes it is the same for all teams and look Leeds, or look at Villa stomping all over Liverpool, why can't we do that ? well try and think both side, instead of how well Villa did, yes give the credit, but wow whats going on Liverpool let in 7 yes 7... This is not a normal season, these are not normal times...

Give Potter some slack, give the players some slack, we cannot influence the team from the stands and encourage the players when we feel they need a lift, hearing their name chanted around the stadium, all they have left really is reading the media and depressing threads like this on NSC and other message boards.

That is just my humble opinion.

#BrightongloryhunterNOT

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
10. Watford – £125.69m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
17. Burnley – £59.4m

???

It’s not complicated - you’re only showing (estimated) transfer fees.

You don’t seem to have included player wages for that period, and that’s where most clubs spend most of their money.

Some clubs, for example, spend a LOT of money on wages on old journeymen pros and/or strikers who were good some time ago but have turned completely shite since.

Do you have the table that includes wages as your table means nothing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Potter, apparently tipped as the best coach in the country by Ashworth, took Swansea to 10th in the Championship. Last season they finished 6th.

We should be mid table now. Two points dropped against a Man U team there for the taking. Given a lesson in taking your chances by Palace. Two more points dropped tonight with poor finishing, poor defending and generally switching back to the sitting back of old, a la Hughton. That's arguably another 6 points, certainly another 4 we should have.

And, at some point, that stops being "unlucky" and just exists. We seem to lack killer instinct and with players like Lallana, Trossard and Biss in the side that's becoming a problem.

All the evidence so far points to a good indivdual coach who wants to play football the right way who just can't buy a result.

Ashworth out. Too many cooks.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The management said we were Premiership ready before we got there, now they mention top ten, the expectation before results is misleading.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Based on our performances, we could/should be comfortably in the top half of the table. We could/should have beaten both United and Palace and arguably deserved a point against Chelsea. That’s 6 points we’ve squandered!

Our only poor performances have come against Everton and the second half yesterday. I’m still confident that things will eventually click.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
....The fact there are no crowds is a massive factor on results this year, it is clear to see after a goal comes is conceded, there is not the roar of the crowed to wake them up, push them forward, galvanise extra energy or warn them of an incoming tackle from behind.....

WBA didn't need a crowd for this last night they had effing and blinding Slaven Bilic !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports