Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter critics: where do you think we should be in the league?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As frustrating as it is, I think our lack of progress is more to do with lack of huge investment. Slow and steady improvement appears to be part of the owner's strategy. Potter has made some improvements so far and we have seen glimpses of what this team can do.

If we choose not to be patient and sack Potter it begs the question of who should replace him. With the constraints placed on the manager by the owner and the desire for attractive football. who would people expect us to bring in?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
The type of football played had improved. The squad has improved. The facilities have improved. The development of players has improved. The criteria for new players has improved.
We now have a basis for progression and it ain’t going to happen overnight, and it won’t be helped by changing the management after six league games.
Christ, people on here either have short memories or are a bunch of JCLs.

I honestly think it would. Nothing in terms of infrastructure would be at risk in changing the manager. Results and attitude could change very quickly though.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
That's never going to happen.

This quote from Potter, taken from an interview he did with the FA on his 5 leadership values indicates he will always be consistent.

"When you’re in a leadership role, people need to know that win, lose, or draw, there has to be a consistency in how you act and behave. Rather than you win and everything is good and then you lose and everything is bad.

There has to be a consistency in what you’re doing and how you do it."

This indicates he has a very high level of emotional intelligence. Unlike those on here who rant like spoilt children over the odd poor performance.

Potters job is to build confidence, do that and good performances will naturally follow.

You don't do that by throwing the team under the bus.

You can also polish a turd all night long but at the end of the day it’s still a turd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Genuinely curious. Me? I’m gutted tonight, though I’ll stick with Potter even if we go down.

But there’s a few here who have wanted Potter out for a while. They pop up whenever we have a result. They seem to be impassioned fans, so I take them at their word. But I never get a straight answer.

So for those haters and critics who want Potter OUT.

WHERE do you think we should aiming for in the league? Top 8? Top 10? Mid table? Above relegation? In relegation zone?

Because I’ve just seen one guy slating Potter, and then in the same breath say our players “ain’t good enough”. So what is it?

I think GP got a lot wrong yesterday and you can only be ‘unlucky’ for so long. I don’t want him out though.

I’m not a fan of 3 CBs, it’s too easy to play against and pull them out of position, but that’s just my opinion.

I’m probably in the wrong cohort to answer your question, but I don’t think mid-table is unreasonable, but we seem to lack mental toughness and physicality defensively.

Is GP suffering in the same way Hughton did recruitment wise? Quite possibly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Results wise I’ve seen no improvements. The style is an improvement. Imagine that this work in progress is actually the finished product. Does GP have the nouse and experience to push them further? I don’t think so.

Sure, but I don't think this is the finished product, far from it. If he has done what he has, why can't he do more. he would also argue that there is never a finished product? All the sound-bytes about younger players generally is that they will be inconsistent.. They will make mistakes in an environment that they can learn from them not fear them. I think last night showed that challenge clearly. I think he is the right man to see those players to continue to develop without shattering confidence along the way. Trossard is the biggest frustration for me personally, because he is not "young" . March and Burn for example are simply more limited in their ability.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Sure, but I don't think this is the finished product, far from it. If he has done what he has, why can't he do more. he would also argue that there is never a finished product? All the sound-bytes about younger players generally is that they will be inconsistent.. They will make mistakes in an environment that they can learn from them not fear them. I think last night showed that challenge clearly. I think he is the right man to see those players to continue to develop without shattering confidence along the way. Trossard is the biggest frustration for me personally, because he is not "young" . March and Burn for example are simply more limited in their ability.

Do we have the time to wait much longer? How many moths do we let this play out.

We’ve won 3 PL games this year.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Relegation isn’t progression either

But we're not down are we? We're not even in the bottom 3 (just 6 games into the season). In fact, we're already four points clear of the bottom 3.

By the way, I'm not being happy clappy - I'm right with [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] on this one when he says this: Potter moves from “safe as houses” to “must do better” IMO and he’s not far from a Tier Two “on thin ice”.

But talking about relegation when we are 6 games into the season and 4 points clear of the bottom 3 is bet wetting of the highest order. Let's see where we are at Christmas.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

People harping on about strikers as usual (we have four including a current and former international) and yet the left side of our defence is becoming a real issue. Yesterday they swapped Diangana to attack March fairly early on, while their goal came from Burn leaving a massive gap on the left from pushing up and giving them the ball with a rubbish header. We need a LWB equivalent of Lamptey to be the "finished product" whoever we play up top.

Still, while we wait for that to happen, we have to pick up wins and Potter just can't seem to do it at the moment.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
If Welbeck is the answer, then I don’t know what the question is.

I do criticise the recruitment for strikers. And I think that is fair, as this has been a problem since we’ve been promoted. We should have had a successor ready to replace Glenn last season. That’s a fail I think.

What player was left for our potless chairman to sign

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
People harping on about strikers as usual (we have four including a current and former international) and yet the left side of our defence is becoming a real issue. Yesterday they swapped Diangana to attack March fairly early on, while their goal came from Burn leaving a massive gap on the left from pushing up and giving them the ball with a rubbish header. We need a LWB equivalent of Lamptey to be the "finished product" whoever we play up top.

Still, while we wait for that to happen, we have to pick up wins and Potter just can't seem to do it at the moment.

But what you’ve described (correctly IMO), is effectively Burn being isolated because of the unfathomable decision to withdraw March and effectively any protection.

Potter has to take a hit for that.

Yes, we do need to improve on the left as well.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Re the comments Quoted above from Potter......
What about the most successful manager , Alex Ferguson and his infamous “hairdryer” post match rants?
Motivation must involve honesty and to only talk about the good things avoids the issue. I am sick of post match platitudes.
The fans deserve honesty too. If we were crap , then admit that we were crap...that our forwards couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo!When you’re in a leadership role, people need to know that win, lose, or draw, there has to be a consistency in how you act and behave. Rather than you win and everything is good and then you lose and everything is bad.

If we can all see we were crap how does it benefit us for the manager to pile on?

As for Fergie, this quote from his autobiography proves he agrees.

"After a game I would always try to avoid criticising the players."

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But what you’ve described (correctly IMO), is effectively Burn being isolated because of the unfathomable decision to withdraw March and effectively any protection.

Potter has to take a hit for that.

Yes, we do need to improve on the left as well.

Agree - I said last night our subs were poor.

On commentary last night they were astounded how poor Burn is in the air for his height - we've all known that for some time, right?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
We have one of the smallest budgets in the league so finishing anywhere above the bottom 5 would be a massive achievement.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Potter, apparently tipped as the best coach in the country by Ashworth, took Swansea to 10th in the Championship. Last season they finished 6th.

We should be mid table now. Two points dropped against a Man U team there for the taking. Given a lesson in taking your chances by Palace. Two more points dropped tonight with poor finishing, poor defending and generally switching back to the sitting back of old, a la Hughton. That's arguably another 6 points, certainly another 4 we should have.

And, at some point, that stops being "unlucky" and just exists. We seem to lack killer instinct and with players like Lallana, Trossard and Biss in the side that's becoming a problem.

All the evidence so far points to a good indivdual coach who wants to play football the right way who just can't buy a result.

Interesting use of the plural “chances” in relation to what we allowed Palace...

Last edited by a moderator:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

On commentary last night they were astounded how poor Burn is in the air for his height - we've all known that for some time, right?

Burn is useless in the air which is criminal given how he towers over everyone around him and still loses headed duals

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I am not a Potter critic, I have loved watching us since he arrived but tonight we were absolute shite from the moment we scored. I’d quite like to see a pissed off Potter after that performance not a philosophical one :shrug:

I am not a Potter out critic either and hope he turns results round. My worry is he is playing players out of form above others that are just as competent. He seems to have lost the trust of the young players Connelly and Alzate for instance. Both have not had a particularly bad game but have in effect been dropped. What must that be doing for a young players confidence seeing crap performances from those starting and still not replacing them. Connelly in particular must be pretty pissed off when he can’t get on with Maupay and Trossard playing like they are. Chris Hughton continued with the same players because the squad depth was poor. GP has got a better squad and seems to not want to use it when starting games. Let us hope he gives Connelly and Welbeck a chance soon as, if not, I can see this is the year we do go down. I don’t think there are necessarily three teams worse than us this year on current form over the last year. Other teams home form will not continue to be as bad as ours. Yesterday was the first signs that Potter was scared of losing and went to a defensive formation and it cost us 2 points. Let’s hope he is not morphing into CH.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Interesting use of the plural “chances” in relation to what we allowed Palace...

We were a toenail away from 2-0 down. They had two shots and scored twice, only to have VAR rule out the second. I'd kill for that sort of consistency. Just take the chance last night that Lallana and Maupay missed. Either of them should have scored, neither did.

BTW sorry that it looks like your post was edited. I've not changed it but initially clicked on the mod edit button rather than reply with quote.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I honestly think it would. Nothing in terms of infrastructure would be at risk in changing the manager. Results and attitude could change very quickly though.
Who would you replace him with?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am not a Potter out critic either and hope he turns results round. My worry is he is playing players out of form above others that are just as competent. He seems to have lost the trust of the young players Connelly and Alzate for instance. Both have not had a particularly bad game but have in effect been dropped. What must that be doing for a young players confidence seeing crap performances from those starting and still not replacing them. Connelly in particular must be pretty pissed off when he can’t get on with Maupay and Trossard playing like they are. Chris Hughton continued with the same players because the squad depth was poor. GP has got a better squad and seems to not want to use it when starting games. Let us hope he gives Connelly and Welbeck a chance soon as, if not, I can see this is the year we do go down. I don’t think there are necessarily three teams worse than us this year on current form over the last year. Other teams home form will not continue to be as bad as ours. Yesterday was the first signs that Potter was scared of losing and went to a defensive formation and it cost us 2 points. Let’s hope he is not morphing into CH.

I imagine the pressure is getting to him, it certainly seems to have got to most of the players. You can only flatter to deceive so many times before doubts creep in. Confess that last night was the first time since Potter came here that I thought he was struggling to change things in a positive way from the sidelines. It was so obvious that we were starting to be dominated by WBA (credit to them, they really upped their game 2nd half and I was grateful for a point by the end) and he got his subs wrong and seemed powerless to get the team to dig in and wrest back control. Some say it was Hughtonesque, I think that shows disrespect to the way CH had us playing, bodies were always put on the line under CH, we were more rabbits in the headlights as the game wore on last night.

Really hope it was a one off, as we have been a joy to watch, even if the results haven’t been great. We looked in complete disarray by the final whistle last night.

I haven’t really bought into the mid table dream and I expect us to be there or thereabouts in the relegation battle all season but we really do need to get some wins under our belts as we are already getting towards being cut off from the teams above us. That is only going to increase the pressure. It wasn’t the result that worried me it was the way we got worse as the game went on.

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I’m sure he’s a good professional etc but I wouldn’t have him anywhere near my starting 11, a loan out would help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here