Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter critics: where do you think we should be in the league?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
If we go down under Potter, your words would carry a lot more weight. And we can discuss and analyse the next potential managers.

But right now. Potter kept us up.

We’ve played SIX games. And played really well in most. You’d have to be a liar, or wilfully ignorant to deny that aside from tonight Potter has improved our football and blooded our young talent. We play now. And really play. No more backs to the wall Hughton specials.

Why don’t you let Potter have a go? By all means, you can say I told you so come end of the season... but there’s a long way to go. Give Potter a chance.

How long should I give him? He hasn’t just come in for 6 games has he? He had no idea how to correct the losing streak last season and was saved by the lock down and a lucky win against Arsenal. His record is abysmal. His comments after the game sums him up I’m afraid. Hughton, may not have been so easy on the eye but he would have won tonight’s game!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It feels to me Potter is over thinking this with who plays where when. It has worked for sure, but seems it over getting more and more bizarre. Need to get back to basics for a bit, players in their best positions is a start

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Well this is Potters second season.

And you just wrote it all off as “we’ll be bottom 5/6 all season”.

I’m merely pointing the flaw in your logic sir. You cannot make that judgment after 6 games.

Nothing has changed though has it slightly better footy in places but can’t put these teams away so yeh bottom 5/6 all season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
I’m saying most of the Potter haters have an unrealistic view of how we should be doing. It’s not like FIFA. We don’t have a divine right to beat these teams below us.

We are where we should be. We’re not plastic. We’re a real club, that has fought to survive and get to this division.

Yet some of these anti Potter fellows think we should have taken more points from Chelsea, Man U and Everton. Let’s stay up first.

Be realistic, is what I’m saying.

For the record, I'm not a Potter hater. I like the guy, he's obviously a thoroughly decent bloke. But so was Hyppia. I hope most people's view of realism is hoping to improve on last season. So we 'should' be aiming for higher than 15th. Given the stats in 2020 it's not unreasonable to start questioning where this is going. I hope I'm wrong.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think everything comes down to whether you think this is the limit of Potter’s abilities or whether we're building for something better and these are steps on the way. I'm in the latter camp, can obviously understand the frustrations of those in the first camp.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
The same Saints side that lost 0-9 a year ago.. not fighting for their manager..
Southampton are a good comaparator for us, as side to aim to compete with. I don;t understand why we have to assume that we dont have the fight - a last minute goal vs. man Utd, a last minute goal vs. palace, battled against Chelsea. I think theres plenty of fight in the side , but we are still capable of poor performances like this unfortunately.

That the point isn’t it. They lost 0-9 and he managed to turn them around. Our bloke has nothing about him at all. We don’t win matches under this bloke. We scored a last min goal against Utd and then let an even later goal in! For all our possession we were woeful against Palace. It’s not just about tonight, nothing has changed. Lots of passes and lose or draw at best!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
How long should I give him? He hasn’t just come in for 6 games has he? He had no idea how to correct the losing streak last season and was saved by the lock down and a lucky win against Arsenal. His record is abysmal. His comments after the game sums him up I’m afraid. Hughton, may not have been so easy on the eye but he would have won tonight’s game!

To be fair I think you’ll find it was our wins against Arse and Norwich that secured our safety. Not the lockdown.

“His record is abysmal”.. I don’t what you expect a Brighton to do in this elite league? We’re not Chelsea or Everton. We are going to struggle for points. We will not have a record like these big clubs regardless of the manager we have.

Let’s see where we are at Christmas. If we’re rooter to the bottom 3 I may re-address my position on Potter. But 6 games in, nah. That’s knee jerk.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Overall potter has improved our style but the results remain poor. I’m
Totally unconvinced by him.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The way we are playing it can see it going one of two ways, 12th or 13th comfortable or bottom three.

In general we play some wonderful stuff but weak up top or we are careless with the ball and look exposed at the back.

Maybe the answer is Wellbeck up top and Dunk leading from the back.

If Welbeck is the answer, then I don’t know what the question is.

I do criticise the recruitment for strikers. And I think that is fair, as this has been a problem since we’ve been promoted. We should have had a successor ready to replace Glenn last season. That’s a fail I think.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I wouldn't have put it out of the question to have a shockingly great start like Leeds and Villa, otherwise just comfortably beating WBA who are expected to be around the bottom 3 when 1-0 up at HT

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think everything comes down to whether you think this is the limit of Potter’s abilities or whether we're building for something better and these are steps on the way. I'm in the latter camp, can obviously understand the frustrations of those in the first camp.

Good way of putting it.

And yeah.. I don’t think our players or our manager have hit their “ceiling” yet. So there are definitely grounds to stay optimistic.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I think that's an over-simplification. You can see Potter's ability in the way we knock it around when we look good, how he's brought on the youngsters and turned Lamptey into a "Sky Sports Name" and Connolly from a U23 / League 2 loan to full Irish international.

But not a single one of those things gets you points in the league. Whether it's killer instinct, game management or failure to coach finishing into the players as well as creation he lacks "something". As I said earlier, Swansea were gutted to lose him and then improved his position by 4 places, getting into the playoffs as a result.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If Welbeck is the answer, then I don’t know what the question is.

Perhaps it is:

Which out-of-contract striker did Albion recruit after the 2020 Summer window closed in a desperate attempt to add another goalscoring option to one of the Premier League's least potent strikeforces?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We have just dropped 2pts to a team that 99% on here thought we should beat easily. This doesn't bode well for the season. Playing 1 upfront at home shows lack of desire. Connolly should have played alongside Maupay. Why take Solly off who I thought was one of the better players and replace him with Gross. Weird substitution

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Haven't read the thread but this being a season massively affected by covid for me it's only about maintaining the clubs financial stability and staying 16th or above. End of. This season, like the end of the last one, has to be treated differently. The whole lets-be-a-Top-10-team is on pause imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here