Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
You can only speak for yourself.

50,000 people this month are dying in loneliness, unable to see their friends and relatives. 50,000 more are in their last month as we write this. We can't just let them die as incidental victims, just part of the cost of making life better for the rest of us; they need to be considered.

Aren't people in care homes allowed to nominate two visitors now?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Aren't people in care homes allowed to nominate two visitors now?
They can. Two masked visitors, if the care home will allow them. Of course, not all care home residents have only two relatives, and they can't hug them, and they can't see them smile, and particularly for dementia sufferers, a visit from someone you can't recognise isn't the same as a visit from your son or daughter who gives you a hug. But they can hold hands, as long as they are aware that it might put their elderly, sick relatives at risk of dying from coronavirus (if both lots of vaccinations and the multiple lateral flow tests haven't worked).

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't think they issue stats for how many people were lonely when they died. Probably too late to ask them. And no point asking their relatives, because they wouldn't know, would they.

No, exactly, but you made it about "loneliness" in your original post.

Too many people, from both sides, are using emotive language and statistics to make their biased point of view heard.

If there are no stats to back up the premise, don't use meaningless figures!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
No, exactly, but you made it about "loneliness" in your original post.

Too many people, from both sides, are using emotive language and statistics to make their biased point of view heard.

If there are no stats to back up the premise, don't use meaningless figures!
OK. Let me rephrase it. 50,000 people are currently in their last month of life, and are unable to a greater or lesser degree to see their friends and relatives. There are no official statistics to say whether any of them, or how many, are feeling lonely or alone. It is at least a possibility that some of them are felling lonely.

I'm not sure about your use of the word "biased". I have a point of view over whether lockdown should be extended further as crodo suggests, but I don't see why having a point of view automatically implies bias on my point any more than crodo's opinion means there is bias on his part. It's just an opinion.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
OK. Let me rephrase it. 50,000 people are currently in their last month of life, and are unable to a greater or lesser degree to see their friends and relatives. There are no official statistics to say whether any of them, or how many, are feeling lonely or alone. It is at least a possibility that some of them are felling lonely.

I'm not sure about your use of the word "biased". I have a point of view over whether lockdown should be extended further as crodo suggests, but I don't see why having a point of view automatically implies bias on my point any more than crodo's opinion means there is bias on his part. It's just an opinion.

I think I covered that with "too many people from BOTH sides" show bias.

You used figures, that have no basis in fact, to back up your biased opinion as does Crodo.

It's not helpful to anyone really...!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Johnson and Johnson vaccine looking like it may have the same rare blood clotting issue as the AZ vaccine ?

6 blood clots in 6.8m applied in the US, one death. They don't like taking risks do they?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Correct. My sympathies for your loss.

My mother is 88, and not so well as she was this time last year, but fortunately she lives with me. She has seen very few of her friends for a year, she has not shared a cup of coffee with any of them because they are isolating too, and her social life is completely up the Swanee. Many of her friends are worse off. And many of them are not fit enough to sit out except in the finest of fine weather, which is not guaranteed.

For people in nursing homes, it must be far worse.

yes , most have been pretty much locked up for over a year ..........it really is quite disgusting , good on you for looking after your mum , if it weren't for you she may well not be here now....:thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
6 blood clots in 6.8m applied in the US, one death. They don't like taking risks do they?

i must admit i find this scenario idiocy in the extreme , they really are ****ing with peoples heads , just get on with the bloody vaccines , if people are worried about having the AZ OR J&J vaccine let them voice their own concerns and wait for an alternative .........this is turning a bad situation into a frigging joke , by the time people are vaxed against the Covid 19 it will have mutated and anther vax will need to Abe developed ....ffs , what is wrong with people.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
i must admit i find this scenario idiocy in the extreme , they really are ****ing with peoples heads , just get on with the bloody vaccines , if people are worried about having the AZ OR J&J vaccine let them voice their own concerns and wait for an alternative .........this is turning a bad situation into a frigging joke , by the time people are vaxed against the Covid 19 it will have mutated and anther vax will need to Abe developed ....ffs , what is wrong with people.

And now Denmark has halted AZ entirely, all seems rather silly. Is it a fear of being sued?

Just 2% of WW population so far have been vaccinated, just take it and think ourselves privileged.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I had the OAZ yesterday, shivering and sweating all night, gonna be a long day today, still feel privileged to take the jab though.

I had mine yesterday as well. Was shivering last night, although getting into bed mainly dealt with that, and am achy today.

Touch wood I have turned a corner now but regardless better than the alternative.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I had mine yesterday as well. Was shivering last night, although getting into bed mainly dealt with that, and am achy today.

Touch wood I have turned a corner now but regardless better than the alternative.
Bizarrely today apart from a sore arm I’m absolutely fine ! A small price to pay though in the scheme of things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here