Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How long do antibodies last? My understanding that it is approximately six months after a viral infection but don't know about Covid,
It is more complex than that as even if antibody levels fall there are immunity memory cells which can create new antibodies if there is another infection.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is more complex than that as even if antibody levels fall there are immunity memory cells which can create new antibodies if there is another infection.

Yes, that's generally how vaccines work. I was thinking more of people who have already had the virus and recovered.

It's a strange one, because when swine flu attacked young people, we were told if anyone had had the Hong Kong flu 67/68, we were immune. I looked after my granddaughter because I had had it previously.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Is there a reason under 30s can’t take the AZ jab if they want to?

I imagine millions would take it still

As a key worker in Spain, I've had my first dose of AZ and the second was scheduled for June, but that's now been scuppered as its use is now restricted to those aged 60-65. There are a couple of million people in my position who are now in limbo while the government decide whether to give us a different vaccine or just leave it at one dose. I'm sure a lot of us would happily take the second Oxford jab.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As a key worker in Spain, I've had my first dose of AZ and the second was scheduled for June, but that's now been scuppered as its use is now restricted to those aged 60-65. There are a couple of million people in my position who are now in limbo while the government decide whether to give us a different vaccine or just leave it at one dose. I'm sure a lot of us would happily take the second Oxford jab.

Why are you not allowed to take it if you want to? Surely it’s your choice?

This is stupid.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Why are you not allowed to take it if you want to? Surely it’s your choice?

This is stupid.

Certainly is. The risk is so low, especially for men. It did seem like everything was falling into place to allow me to fly back to England fully vaccinated at the end of June but that's all up in the air now. So frustrating.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
CONTEXT

Tweet by Tim Spector

In France- 1 in 2 people are refusing their AZ vaccines because of the fears of clots. The media fail to put risk in context . We have 79 cases total in 4 months. Each day 300 unvaccinated people have strokes and 240 have major clots, some related to medications and lifestyle

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just turned on BBC news and they are still banging on about clots, after banging on about clots all day yesterday as well. It seems to not matter how many people they have on that say the risk is extremely small. Just stop banging on about it ffs.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Just turned on BBC news and they are still banging on about clots, after banging on about clots all day yesterday as well. It seems to not matter how many people they have on that say the risk is extremely small. Just stop banging on about it ffs.

It's dominating the news here too. This must be denting public confidence massively.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
On this basis removing all restrictions on 21st June seems unwise, there will still be circa 13m adults unvaccinated.

Are we "removing all restrictions"? Or will we still be distancing and wearing masks?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Bloody young people, not having a vaccine they haven’t been offered yet...

[tweet]1380192393350242309[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Today...650k doses in Germany, 400k in France. EU countries seem to be finally getting their act together....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've reported that tweet. It is a lie that the AZ vaccine "doesn't work" against the SA variant.

Supposedly they are cracking down on Covid disinformation, but we shall see.

Today’s cracker

Prof. Devi Sridhar
@devisridhar
Replying to
@devisridhar
US now explicitly heading in same direction as http://E.Asia/Pacific. Call it whatever you want: max suppression, an 'elimination' strategy, a public health 'measles' approach, Zero COVID, no COVID, or simply just stopping the circulation of COVID-19. Influential & bold step.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
There is so much SHIT reported about this. I had a sub-arachnoid brain haemorrhage a few years ago and was happy to have the OAZ jab. Every medication and procedure has risk. Everyday life has risk. There is (known) risk running around unvaccinated against a pandemic SARS covid virus with a resting repro rate over 3.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

And Sky News all week, all day.

Ignoring the explanation from scientists that all vaccines have risks, some deadly to a tiny proportion of the population. That as new vaccines, the yellow flag system works, side effects and risks emerge, are reported, evaluated, warnings given, steps taken. It’s the norm.

The BBC a long time ago now, operated without the hyperbole. The relentless competition from Sky, meant they joined the club.

Radio 4 is still a cut above, they do not do this.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Today’s cracker

Prof. Devi Sridhar
@devisridhar
Replying to
@devisridhar
US now explicitly heading in same direction as http://E.Asia/Pacific. Call it whatever you want: max suppression, an 'elimination' strategy, a public health 'measles' approach, Zero COVID, no COVID, or simply just stopping the circulation of COVID-19. Influential & bold step.

She’s got form...a lot!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's a tough choice. I'm undecided, but I probably won't get it.

Numerous studies seem to suggest that natural immunity, as opposed to vaccine immunity, is considerably more effective at reducing transmissions and creating a long-term immunity in an individual. Problem is that the different vaccines work in such different ways - so some might be more effective than others, some might be more effective than natural immunity, which adds to the difficulty of the decision.

Either way, taking a vaccine is a risk that I don't feel I need to take. Personally I think it would be better if I caught Covid and let my body overcome it naturally. In terms of what's better for public health, we just don't know - numerous studies suggest that natural immunity is preferable.

In terms of people I contact with, I would hope that anyone who is vulnerable will have the vaccine soon, if not already.

you've ignored that catching the virus is not zero risk. it it were, and if natural immunity really were more effective, we'd not be too fussed about keeping everyone distanced until vaccinated. you've also ignored the virus reduces serious conditions to next to zero. you're gambling you might be OK with a dose of Covid, though defiantly infectious to others while you have it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here