Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will Lewis Dunk ever play for England again?

Will Lewis Dunk play for England again?

• Never while Southgate is in charge

Votes: 231 47.6%
  • Yes, Southgate will pick him eventually

Votes: 50 10.3%
  • Only if Southgate leaves/gets sacked

Votes: 169 34.8%
  • No, he's not good enough

Votes: 35 7.2%

• Total voters

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
With apologies to [MENTION=14054]MJsGhost[/MENTION] who's idea I have just nicked. (He did it for Maupay in this thread: https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?387161-Striker/page9), here is a comparison of Lewis Dunk and the central defenders who are in contention for a place in Southgate's squad.

This is Lewis from this season playing Potter's style of football, where he outranks all of the others in nearly half of the performance, defensive and passing stats:

View attachment 135831

This is Lewis from 2017/18 playing Hughton's type of defending, included to show that when you ask him to block, intercept and clear, he outranks them at those three stats too, making him able to outrank all of them in 10 of 15 performance, passing and defending stats:

View attachment 135832

I have only done this for Dunk because he's ours. I suspect that there are a few other players in the league who would also outdo Southgate's favourites.

No apologies needed - you crack on, sir!

I do love a stat to back up or debunk a theory, whether it’s mine or someone else’s!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
A friend of mine is a Villa STH and said that Mings isn't even the best CB there any more. Konsa is leagues ahead already apparently. 5 years younger, from the England set up (U20 and U21s) and 51 PL appearances so far (to Mings 79). Baffling that Southgate would choose Mings over him for me.

Southgate is obsessed with having a right & left footed centre back.

It entirely boils down to that, we play a shit footballer for the national team because he's better at kicking with his left foot.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
With apologies to [MENTION=14054]MJsGhost[/MENTION] who's idea I have just nicked. (He did it for Maupay in this thread: https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?387161-Striker/page9), here is a comparison of Lewis Dunk and the central defenders who are in contention for a place in Southgate's squad.

This is Lewis from this season playing Potter's style of football, where he outranks all of the others in nearly half of the performance, defensive and passing stats:

View attachment 135831

This is Lewis from 2017/18 playing Hughton's type of defending, included to show that when you ask him to block, intercept and clear, he outranks them at those three stats too, making him able to outrank all of them in 10 of 15 performance, passing and defending stats:

View attachment 135832

I have only done this for Dunk because he's ours. I suspect that there are a few other players in the league who would also outdo Southgate's favourites.

Well played. We all knew this anyway of course, but good to see facts back it up. Dreadfully sad for Lewis, can’t overstate it, it’s a short career and he deserves to be playing for his country. Or at the very least get in the squad.

And you know what the kicker is? If he had signed for Chelsea in the summer we all know full well he’d be in the squad. It’s not even a question.

That said there are some Albion fans who think he shouldn’t be in the England squad. So it’s not as cut and dried as we may think.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Whilst this is true, I would also say that Dunk, White and Webster still have a better left foot than Mings anyway.

He really is an absolute fraud. Has anyone on here seen a worse player play for England? I haven’t in 30 years of watching England.

I see your Mings, and raise you Carlton Palmer.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Whilst this is true, I would also say that Dunk, White and Webster still have a better left foot than Mings anyway.

He really is an absolute fraud. Has anyone on here seen a worse player play for England? I haven’t in 30 years of watching England.

Carlton Palmer and Jeff Thomas weren't too special. I think it was Cloughie who said "Carlton Palmer traps a ball further then I can kick it".

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Let’s put it this way.

Would any of us swap Mings for either Dunk, White or Webster? I highly doubt it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Paging @dr no

He didn’t come through the England yoof ranks and the manager is a palace ****....so no

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing

Keith Curle and Geoff Thomas might save him from being the worst

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Let’s put it this way.

Would any of us swap Mings for either Dunk, White or Webster? I highly doubt it.

I'd add Ostigard and Matt Clarke to our current holy trinity. Mings is a Southgate boy which is fine, but he shouldn't be picked ahead of Dunk, Webster or White in that order.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Keith Curle and Geoff Thomas might save him from being the worst

Keith Curle was a MUCH better defender than Mings. And no, he's worse than Thomas. Jay Boothroyd is another one that springs to mind who was totally out of his depth but I'd still say he was more deserving of a cap than Mings.

I just can't get my head around how he's anywhere near the squad just because he's left footed. It blows my mind that he's an international footballer. Most of the right footed centre backs in the PL are better than him with their left anyway.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dunk should be in the Euro’s squad.

He’s in the form of his life, against EPL all-comers.

Great positional sense, he sniffs out danger, impeccable concentration and THE communicator gluing the defence together.

Searing pace compensating for key weaknesses, shouldn’t be the deciding factor in selecting an international CB.

Terry, Adams, Lawrenson, Hansen and Butcher did pretty well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It is SO frustrating to see Dunk and White snuffing out Chelsea superbly, and Mings and Stones look pretty shoddy and error-prone the very next night. No prizes for guessing which of the two games Southgate was at.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I don’t care what anyone says. I genuinely think Lewis is the best pure CB who qualifies for England.

For all the jokes, Maguire is very capable, and I rate Gomez pretty highly actually. But beyond that Dunk all the way. Playing the best football of his career. A cruel travesty that’s he not one of Southgates favourites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here