Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To Avoid Potter Bashing - Staying Up Tracker - 2020/21 - Game 38 Update - 1 OVER

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surely we can’t fail to beat the worst team in the league twice in one season, can we?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
[MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] a thought for next season: instead of a line for Europe, how about a line for 10th, to reflect the bottom end of the club’s stated long-term goal?

Thanks for continuing to do this - it remains a go to thread for me.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
[MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] a thought for next season: instead of a line for Europe, how about a line for 10th, to reflect the bottom end of the club’s stated long-term goal?

And maybe just call it 'The Giraffe Tracker' - as that's how I think of it and try to search for it....

nice idea but how would it work? who decides if to get to 10th we have to beat say Leeds and Arsenal at home but Everton and Villa away are defeats? Had we done this for this years tracker we would have had Sheff Utd down as losers homa and away based on 2019/20 form. Also, what would the points target be for 10th? Checking here: https://www.myfootballfacts.com/premier-league/all-time-premier-league/premier-league-ladders/ shows 10th could be anything between 45 and 53 points over the last 10 years..

Maybe we should have a poll, we know how much NSC'ers like polls :)

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
nice idea but how would it work?
Exactly the same way as the Staying Up and Europe trackers work. Pick a reasonable number and adjust home wins and away draws to hit the number.

who decides if to get to 10th we have to beat say Leeds and Arsenal at home but Everton and Villa away are defeats?
The position those teams finish this year decides.

Had we done this for this years tracker we would have had Sheff Utd down as losers homa and away based on 2019/20 form.
Errmmm...This has been done for this year and Sheff Utd are down as losses

+

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Exactly the same way as the Staying Up and Europe trackers work. Pick a reasonable number and adjust home wins and away draws to hit the number.

And GUFP has helped us with the target! Mighty kind of them to do the research.

The mid-point of 49 feels reasonable. Now we just need a simple job of deciding how to update the game-by-game target. Maybe a simple draw at home to the other 9 teams? Or we pick the 5 bottom teams (including the three newbies) and just plan the double over them... taking us to 50 points and glory.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
nice idea but how would it work? who decides if to get to 10th we have to beat say Leeds and Arsenal at home but Everton and Villa away are defeats? Had we done this for this years tracker we would have had Sheff Utd down as losers homa and away based on 2019/20 form. Also, what would the points target be for 10th? Checking here: https://www.myfootballfacts.com/premier-league/all-time-premier-league/premier-league-ladders/ shows 10th could be anything between 45 and 53 points over the last 10 years..

Agree - except for the bit about having a poll.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I wondered the same thing before I posted, but presumably the same is true for a Europe line, which [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] has managed somehow...

The position those teams finish this year decides.

Errmmm...This has been done for this year and Sheff Utd are down as losses

+

yeah but what is this magical points total that we would use to supposedly guarantee 10th place? 40 points target is easy - win our home games against the bottom 10 and draw the away games. Europe im guessing is something like win home and away against the bottom 10 (60 points) but that would only have been enough in 6 of the last 10 years

Anyway i think i can answer my own question :) Maybe the formula needs to be like Win home and away against the bottom 4 (24 points) and win home/draw away against the next 7 -28 (giving target as 52) which would be good enough for 10th 7/10 times. if we made it - win home/draw away against the next 8 teams -32 points then that would give us a target of 56 which would guarantee 10th every year except 1993/94 and even as high as 7th. One outlier was 2012-13 when WBA were 8th with 49!! points. That was the year when the top 7 beat everyone and the rest beat eachother *8th was only 8 points ahead of 16th)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

It’s a good idea. My only (slight) reluctance is we haven’t done that yet and we haven’t been relegated (yet). The superstitious me says this is a bad idea, but the logical side of me says yes bring it on.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove

How about we stay up first ? ???

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It’s a good idea. My only (slight) reluctance is we haven’t done that yet and we haven’t been relegated (yet). The superstitious me says this is a bad idea, but the logical side of me says yes bring it on.

Your thread; your call... I’ll be tracking it whatever.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

I am anti any change whatsoever to this thread. The introduction of the Europe line was enough dicing with the football gods.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Fine, but more important methinks is to rethink the 3 points for home game and 1 for away given that Albion are one of several teams with far better way record than home. This season has seen away games being won in roughly same number as home across EPL so why not just say 2 points for any game against team 9th or lower? Still ends with 40 points but is more even. Can rethink when crowds return and home advantage is more noticeable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here