Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Well i am glad that the club don't have such a defeatist attitude and by most accounts seem to be working hard to strengthen in that area!

It's not bedwetting pointing out that there is an area of the squad that we could do with strengthening.

Nice swerve around the fact that we need more goals from midfield.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Nice swerve around the fact that we need more goals from midfield.

The whole thread is about potentially buying a striker 'Darwin Nunez' because the club are looking to strengthen in that area. I haven't swerved the fact that we need more goals from midfield, its just not relevant to this discussion.

Of course Id like us to score more goals from midfield! Id also like us to sign a striker thats more clinical in front of goal and provides competition for places!

The two things aren't mutually exclusive!

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
Negredo scored 23 from 48 appearances and Man City won the league and then sold him on for £10 million profit!

Who's to say that bringing players in to those positions wasn't also a contributory factor in Ageuro's return to form...

Not sure where you got that from mate he scored 9 in 32 appearances over two seasons and was loaned out to Valencia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Not sure where you got that from mate he scored 9 in 32 appearances over two seasons and was loaned out to Valencia

No he had one season at Man City and was loaned to Valencia who had an obligation to buy and did at the end of the loan period.

the 9 in 32 was in the premier league, he scored 23 in 49 in all competitions including 5 in the champions league!

Him and Aguero had a pretty unstoppable partnership in the first half of the season 2013/2014.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
No he had one season at Man City and was loaned to Valencia who had an obligation to buy and did at the end of the loan period.

the 9 in 32 was in the premier league, he scored 23 in 49 in all competitions including 5 in the champions league!

Him and Aguero had a pretty unstoppable partnership in the first half of the season 2013/2014.

We have a striker who can score 9 in the premier league his name is Danny Welbeck. We’re not in the champions league!

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
Come on, that was 10 years ago and happened once in an 18 year career.

Ferguson and Wenger loved the guy, he has been unlucky. But there’s still a player there and the club are rightfully taking their precautions with him

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Ferguson and Wenger loved the guy, he has been unlucky. But there’s still a player there and the club are rightfully taking their precautions with him

He scored 4 in the last 9 games of last season. Surely that bodes well?

yes to both of these but heralding him as someone who is going to be able to get 8 or 9 goals for us in a season or be our main source of goals altogether, as opposed to just a very good squad option, is (imo) misguided to say the least

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
yes to both of these but heralding him as someone who is going to be able to get 8 or 9 goals for us in a season or be our main source of goals altogether, as opposed to just a very good squad option, is (imo) misguided to say the least

How many goals would be a satisfactory return? He’s our player for the season

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
How many goals would be a satisfactory return? He’s our player for the season

however many he gets. I just think EXPECTING him to get X amount of goals when he hasn't really done in previous seasons and has a very dodgy injury record isn't wise. I don't think he's someone who can be a reliable goalscorer week in week out for us, and I'd say only Maupay and perhaps Connolly (if he ups his game) could do that for us. Hence why I think we need another striker if we want to push on into the top 10.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
however many he gets. I just think EXPECTING him to get X amount of goals when he hasn't really done in previous seasons and has a very dodgy injury record isn't wise. I don't think he's someone who can be a reliable goalscorer week in week out for us, and I'd say only Maupay and perhaps Connolly (if he ups his game) could do that for us. Hence why I think we need another striker if we want to push on into the top 10.

Nuñez could be the man but demanding £35m is too steep for a player outside the top 5 leagues and who is just recovering from knee surgery. He may only be 22 but might take him a couple of years to get up to speed so wouldn’t necessarily be the magic quick fix we seem hellbent on finding. Hopefully he would be good competition for Maupay but at that price… No chance

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
To spend big Bucks on someone who is crocked would be madness. Would we be able to insure him? There’s no guarantee anyone recovering from an injury.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Where did you find the info on the 1st surgery? I can only find info on the recent one. Arthroscopy to fix a long term issue that had been giving him some discomfort, quite a minor opp relative to other sorts. He should be back in training soon according to this:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/arthroscopy/recovery/

There is mention of it on football.fandom.com

Núñez spent the first months of 2017 nursing a knee injury. He made his first team – and Primera División – debut on 22 November 2017, coming on as a second-half substitute for Maxi Rodríguez in a 2–1 away loss against River Plate Montevideo, but had another knee surgery the following month.

Although it doesn't elaborate on the type of surgery, it probably was a simple cleaning up of the meniscus, a very common operation for footballers and nothing to worry about.

And if it wasn't, and there was anything to be concerned about, there is no way we would risk signing him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here