[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Tell that to Southampton before they signed Danny Ings.

But that's the gamble.

Would you buy a really nice sports car that you've always wanted knowing it had been in a couple of serious crashes? Same thing applies here.

It could work out, but as sure as eggs is eggs, if we do sign him and he breaks down with further knee trouble the criticism the club will get from many on here for not doing 'due diligence' will be deafening.

Huge gamble in my eyes, but it's not my decision.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If we are serious about Nunez I’m happy to trust the club in doing their due diligence with regards to any injuries he’s carrying.

It could be that the fact he’s injured gives us a window of opportunity to snap him up. Who knows.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If we are serious about Nunez I’m happy to trust the club in doing their due diligence with regards to any injuries he’s carrying.

It could be that the fact he’s injured gives us a window of opportunity to snap him up. Who knows.

Me too. To be honest the injuries make me nervous, but the club seems to have set the bar high for their recent signings, if the club are happy then so am and I. If there is something they do not like, they'll walk away from the deal.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I dont think the club is as desperate as some fans are.

I think you're right.

It's just that for the top 10 goal to be a reality and not just a nice sounding PR pipe dream, improving the XG to goals significantly for that to happen, is going to require a lot more than trying the "definition of insanity" approach.

Whether that's Nunez, Edouard, someone else, whatever...... Who knows, but going with the same attacking line up who offered nowhere near enough cutting edge last season suggests more of the same.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Nuñez could be the man but demanding £35m is too steep for a player outside the top 5 leagues and who is just recovering from knee surgery. He may only be 22 but might take him a couple of years to get up to speed so wouldn’t necessarily be the magic quick fix we seem hellbent on finding. Hopefully he would be good competition for Maupay but at that price… No chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's your view I guess, and a very reasonable one at that. I saw a post on here earlier about how strikers are generally overvalued and this is why TB won't spend on one because he wants to stick to his moneyball philosophy, but the thing is, none of us are actually privy to all the information that the club will use to decide the value of a target, and therefore we can only do what you've done and give our own opinions. It may be the case that Bloom thinks ''yeah, £35 million is a bit steep, but this guy is legitimately talented enough that he could easily be worth £80 million in 3 years time and I know this because of all the metrics and reports the scouts have shown me", therefore making it a more calculated gamble, despite the eye-watering fee. Moneyball on a supermassive scale, if you like. It's always been 'Right player, right price' for us, but some people on here have it that the 'right price' part of the equation is set in stone at 'below £20 million', when in all likelihood that simply isn't the case.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
With the player unlikely to be fit before October (assuming reports are correct) I can’t see any deal being auctioned before the January window so I think this one is parked for now.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
.....It's always been 'Right player, right price' for us, but some people on here have it that the 'right price' part of the equation is set in stone at 'below £20 million', when in all likelihood that simply isn't the case.
Absolutely spot on.
We signed a Championship defender for over £20 million. One day, probably not too far away, we're going to sign a player over £30 million pounds.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
That's your view I guess, and a very reasonable one at that. I saw a post on here earlier about how strikers are generally overvalued and this is why TB won't spend on one because he wants to stick to his moneyball philosophy, but the thing is, none of us are actually privy to all the information that the club will use to decide the value of a target, and therefore we can only do what you've done and give our own opinions. It may be the case that Bloom thinks ''yeah, £35 million is a bit steep, but this guy is legitimately talented enough that he could easily be worth £80 million in 3 years time and I know this because of all the metrics and reports the scouts have shown me", therefore making it a more calculated gamble, despite the eye-watering fee. Moneyball on a supermassive scale, if you like. It's always been 'Right player, right price' for us, but some people on here have it that the 'right price' part of the equation is set in stone at 'below £20 million', when in all likelihood that simply isn't the case.

Brilliant post [emoji106]

Not to mention we spent around £20m on Championship players and close to that for Trossard in the Belgium league. I’m sure Tony is not naive enough to have a hard line transfer fee cap for a top European striker.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
Brilliant post [emoji106]

Not to mention we spent around £20m on Championship players and close to that for Trossard in the Belgium league. I’m sure Tony is not naive enough to have a hard line transfer fee cap for a top European striker.

He’s just had knee surgery and is injured

mike1901

May 12, 2017
We are not desperate, you sound a tad desperate it has to be said. Getting centre forwards in is bloody hard work. Well good ones anyway. Keep the faith.

As I said getting in a good one is difficult, we haven’t got the money to spend an established forward, any body we get will be a gamble. And yes I am desperate for us to get another forward, don’t know if my heart can’t take another season of uncertainty.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Tell that to Southampton before they signed Danny Ings.

Southampton had Ings on a season-long loan before they signed him. He also had experience in the Premier League before that.

There is no way in a million years that we are going to pay serious money for an inexperienced striker with a history of knee injuries. Especially as he only scored six goals last season in a league which is significantly below the quality of the EPL.

mike1901

May 12, 2017
We are not desperate, you sound a tad desperate it has to be said. Getting centre forwards in is bloody hard work. Well good ones anyway. Keep the faith.

As I said getting in a good one is difficult, we haven’t got the money to spend an established forward, any body we get will be a gamble. And yes I am desperate for us to get another forward, don’t know if my heart can’t take another season of uncertainty.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
Southampton had Ings on a season-long loan before they signed him. He also had experience in the Premier League before that.

There is no way in a million years that we are going to pay serious money for an inexperienced striker with a history of knee injuries. Especially as he only scored six goals last season in a league which is significantly below the quality of the EPL.

Exactly Jim

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere

Classic staged payments transfer on conditions of fitness and game time being met. Strangely think Neil will have a great season this time around.:rave:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'd rather have Nunez over Edouard or Armstrong.

Compared to expectations, he had a poor season in Benfica and it wouldnt be the first time they lose patience with expensive signings and decide to get their money back / make a small profit, they did the same thing with Raul Jimenez and Raul de Tomas. The guy has the potential to become a £70-80m striker but I'm not sure they are willing to take the chance because there is always a risk that they just end up losing everything they spent on him, so if another club is willing to take the chance a transfer could probably happen.

That said, I think that if Brighton sign another striker, it might end up being someone we've barely heard of.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Yet according to press reports we have made a bid for him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'd rather have Nunez over Edouard or Armstrong.

Compared to expectations, he had a poor season in Benfica and it wouldnt be the first time they lose patience with expensive signings and decide to get their money back / make a small profit, they did the same thing with Raul Jimenez and Raul de Tomas. The guy has the potential to become a £70-80m striker but I'm not sure they are willing to take the chance because there is always a risk that they just end up losing everything they spent on him, so if another club is willing to take the chance a transfer could probably happen.

That said, I think that if Brighton sign another striker, it might end up being someone we've barely heard of.

Totally agree........ Which is as rare as a new striker signing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports