Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
We have a holiday to Greece booked for mid June, carried over from last year's postponement, but don't want to go.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Seychelles Now.

Think we will see a few following

This is great news, holidays abroad are back and hopefully the travel industry will survive

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
This is great news, holidays abroad are back and hopefully the travel industry will survive

The Travel Industry has a long way to go yet - much depends on the vaccination suppression of transmission which is still a bit of an unknown and I believe our Government's priority is to protect our vaccination programme from variants, which we appear to be one of few countries that test for same in any great volume . It's all well and good Countries welcoming us subject to restrictions, it's where our Government will let us go being the major question and prevalence of Covid in the receiving Country is another permutation. We all know that receiving Countries accepting visitors with a negative PCR test didn't work out well last time and I can see restrictions returning on the back of that in respect of providing a negative PCR test to return plus the obligatory 10 days self isolation on return, even for those that are vaccinated if it doesn't suppress transmission. This is obviously in the short/medium term - I hope we know more when the Travel Taskforce Review is published on the 12th April!

The Industry really needs a decent summer season (as that's where the majority of income is generated) The jury is out on that one at the moment! It's helpful that Furlough and the SEISS Grants have been extended to September, but in essence it's only really until the end of June/July as Furlough contributions reduce from the end of June and although previous SEISS Grants were paid in 3 month chunks based on 3 months average trading profits, it appears from May to Sept, although that is a 5 month period, the Self Employed will only get 3 months money!

Cashflow in the Travel Industry has always been awful - the majority of Agents/Tour Ops are paid 6 weeks before travel, due to the ongoing uncertainty of late cancellations when Restrictions have changed, we are now lucky to get anything within a month of Travel being completed - that's a 10 week swing and although bookings are being made, a fair chunk of those currently are for 2022/23 - we have a saying now: "bookings are vanity, cashflow is sanity" - cashflow could further cripple the Industry if we don't get a decent Summer and if we don't, then all this Furlough/SEISS stuff from the previous 15 months might be just kicking the can down the road if there isn't enough cash to survive in the short term.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So with countries opening up to vaccinated people, where does that leave the kids who aren't getting the jab?

Personally, we've got a couple of weeks in the UK this year but will hopefully be hopping on a flight to the sun next summer.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I moved my Motorhome holiday in Canada from last June to June this year. Clearly won’t be going in June but I don’t know whether to move it to end of August or to June next year.

Canada is still completely closed to tourists and it doesn’t look like changing anytime soon as they are way behind in vaccinating.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On the topic of skiing given the lack of season this year there’s some bargains to be had with clothing and equipment. I had planned to replace my snowboard this year, irrespective of the fact it was being serviced when lockdown happened last year and got lost when the shop shut down. The board I want is now 35% off!

That crossed my mind a couple of weeks ago, so I had a look online.

Technical clothing from the likes of Kjus, at far lower prices than I’d seen before.

I won’t mention the before and after prices .... they’d be eye watering sums for non winter sports people.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Got a week booked in Cromer in August.

Can't be bothered with the hassle of going abroad until it is back to a more normal state of affairs.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
I moved my Motorhome holiday in Canada from last June to June this year. Clearly won’t be going in June but I don’t know whether to move it to end of August or to June next year.

Canada is still completely closed to tourists and it doesn’t look like changing anytime soon as they are way behind in vaccinating.

We're moving province this month, and even for movement within the country we will still have to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival in Nova Scotia.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So with countries opening up to vaccinated people, where does that leave the kids who aren't getting the jab?

Personally, we've got a couple of weeks in the UK this year but will hopefully be hopping on a flight to the sun next summer.

That’s an issue for us too.

The UK aren’t necessarily blocking non-vax’d residents leaving.

So it’s a question of waiting to see the rules of entry for destinations.

The EU might be planning to enforce a no vax, no travel rule without quarantine for the entire bloc (vaccine passports). Italy are pushing hard, but several nations that rely on tourism don’t want to create obstacles after the financial devastation of the last year.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I've booked us to go to Cancun in Mid August so hoping we get vaccinated before then and be allowed to go! I guess it depends on what any restrictions are in place in Mexico.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
We're moving province this month, and even for movement within the country we will still have to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival in Nova Scotia.

From what I have been reading it doesn’t look like anything is changing anytime soon unfortunately.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

You would think that children up to certain age could accompany adults under these circumstances but the age is the critical factor I guess?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone else remember the advice given out in the early day of package holidays? It was recommended you spend no more than half an hour in the sun on your first day, an hour on your second day etc. Reckon we'll all be so pale and pasty by the summer that we might see that advice again :cool:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anyone else remember the advice given out in the early day of package holidays? It was recommended you spend no more than half an hour in the sun on your first day, an hour on your second day etc. Reckon we'll all be so pale and pasty by the summer that we might see that advice again :cool:

Are you ginger too? :thumbsup:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
No, he is Scottish - they never see the sun

Just fill the bath with Irn-Bru and have a good soak. Instant tan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here