Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Kinnear on Sky Sports News just now.

"We have to be respectful that he's a Brighton player, he's training with them currently... we have other options and we'll be closing in on one of those soon".

It's over Leeds fans. Oh, it never actually started because "Not For Sale" meant exactly what it said on the tin.

I would say talking about wanting another team’s player in public is very disrespectful. I couldn’t imagine PB doing that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Personally I think he will accept a new contract before the season starts and be pushing for a place. He is exactly the type of defender GP likes and is now ready to make the step up, not as a guaranteed starter straight away but by season’s end he may well be.

Agree.
Will be good to put an end to the transfer talk, temporarily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Two clubs in the Leeds/ Bradford area i.e. Leeds and Bradford surely! You also don't mention the huge Rugby League interest in West Yorkshire.

LUFC do have a very large fanbase though...anyone would acknowledge that.

it has to said i'm no expert, but how does a large fanbase equate to 80m revenue more than us?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I would say talking about wanting another team’s player in public is very disrespectful. I couldn’t imagine PB doing that.

Leeds as a club (fan base / local press / media reps etc) have proved they aren’t in the same league as us on the class levels - nothing surprises me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I suspect that he is unsettled by all this fuss. However, this fuss is caused by the plan coming to fruition IMHO. He is in demand because he has been managed exceptionally well.

I am not prepared to speculate on how he feels or what he thinks but I will say that I assume that he has been consulted with throughout his career. It may even have been partly or wholly his choice to join Leeds at the beginning of the season to aid his devleopment rather than play a bit part role at Brighton. We really don't know.

You are right, it is a lot of speculation.

I think under GP now, and the way he throws the likes of Alzate with only L2 experience in the mix in the PL, that White going out on loan wouldn't have happened had he been at the club earlier. I think we'd be looking at White having had a good number of PL appearances under his belt. This 'plan coming to fruition' I don't think would be the plan in the current managerial setup.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The Leeds managing director was just on Sky Sports News. He said it will be very challenging to sign Ben White and they have other targets so it does seem they are on the verge of giving up.

He has also said that White is currently training with Brighton so that should kill some more of the deludeds murmurings

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He's just pandering to the thicko fan base. Imagine the carnage if they'd not made an effort to look as if there was a chance of signing him?

He's letting them down gently.

I'm sure there will still be plenty of knuckle draggers going the full Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber "So you're saying there's still a chance?!".

But it's basically him closing the door as gently as possible and tip toeing away....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
But surely that should be OUATWWCCOEBNWACOTOSD

Once Upon A Time We Were Champions, Champions Of Europe, But Now We Are Champions Of The Old Second Division.

OUATWWCCOE(WAWWBWTWSBATEFU)BNWACOTOSD

Once Upon A Time We Were Champions, Champions Of Europe (Well Actually We Weren't, But We Thought We Should've Been and That's Enough For Us), But Now We Are Champions Of The Old Second Division

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

To be fair, he was answering a question put to him by the reporter, and I dont think he sounded disrespectful. I would have been quite rude not to answer the question.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Awesome, you've managed to post the most meaningless statistic on the internet.

Leeds-Bradford area population = 2,148,297

I hardly think Bradford City, Halifax and Guiseley are cutting into too much market share tbh.

I imagine Bradford are seeing as they've often had attendances not much lower than yours despite competing at a lower level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Forget Leeds fans if we can for a second (I'm not sure what their relevance is?), as said above, the truth of it is likely that he is fairly unsettled by all this. As you've said we might not feel he's ahead of Dunk or Webster, or even Burn for that matter, and yet he knows at Leeds he'd be first choice for all 38 PL games. I'm not sure you can say this has been managed exceptionally well.

White will know as well as anyone that had the club had absolute faith in him, he'd have PL appearances under his belt by now, signing Webster and sending him out at 22 years old was hardly a ringing endorsement in his ears of where we valued him last summer.

Had Potter arrived a year earlier and the way he has given youngsters a chance, I doubt we'd have loaned White out at all.

By the way the deal was done, the money paid and his selection since we can fairly safely say:-

'Potter wanted Webster' - No if's no but's, get me Webster.

If that meant 'holding White back a year' then so be it.

From the outside looking in it appears to be a tactical masterclass.

At some point this season and certainly by the start of next, the club may well have an English back 3, 4 or 5 all with a large amount of Premier League experience, all under 25 years old all with a combined total cost of less than £30m.

Or if you'd prefer...

...half a Lewis Dunk. .

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
It would be nice to hear Ben come out and say “ I have a contract with Brighton and am looking forward to breaking into the first team next season”.
Simples.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We thought he needed a season in the Championship. Small steps building towards the Prem. Same with Clarke last season, whereas Webster had proven himself at that level already.

By that reasoning Manure never saw potential In Beckham then?

We're in a bloody great position with all this now.

The likes of Chelsea and Manure break transfer records to bring in players and hoover up every bloody youngster they can find with huge academy setups and loan systems. I don't see us as operating in the same way as them - do you? Is that a reasonable comparison?

I don't think we'd repeat this again under Potter as said above. Like with Alzate, I don't think he will see only L2 experience and think he's not ready because he needs a loan to the Championship, he'll play him because he thinks he looks good enough. All this small steps is why we didn't bring any youngsters through for a time.

Now we have the likes of Connolly and Alzate breaking through and being given a real chance to prove themselves in the PL, and had Potter been appointed in say January, I really do think White wouldn't have been loaned out at all.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
He was 22 years old last summer, he turns 23 in October. My worry is that we loaned him out when we should have been spotting his potential earlier. He's clearly an excellent player, and you have to wonder why it's taken until now for another side to prove he is up to it.

Until this season he had only played IN LEAGUE 1. We were about to embark upon a campaign with a new manager, in his first season in the PL, his second in English football. We had an opportunity for Ben to possibly play an entire season with a good squad in the Championship, under a decent manager. It was a very good opportunity.

We OBVIOUSLY knew his potential as we kept him, kept giving him new contracts, and refused options to buy - all of this BEFORE he went to Leeds.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
By the way the deal was done, the money paid and his selection since we can fairly safely say:-

'Potter wanted Webster' - No if's no but's, get me Webster.

If that meant 'holding White back a year' then so be it.

From the outside looking in it appears to be a tactical masterclass.

At some point this season and certainly by the start of next, the club may well have an English back 3, 4 or 5 all with a large amount of Premier League experience, all under 25 years old all with a combined total cost of less than £30m.

Or if you'd prefer...

...half a Lewis Dunk. .

Not sure I agree.

After a couple of weeks in the job "I hope we're keeping Ben White?"

"No, we've already agreed a loan to Leeds because our development excel spreadsheet said so"

"Oh, that's a shame, you're going to have to bring Adam Webster instead then please."

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would be interesting to know Potter's view on it as I doubt he had any say whatsoever. Potter signed on 20 May, White was a Leeds player by 01 July. So no pre-season or friendlies for Potter to have a look.

We do know Potter wanted a ball player CB and by 02 Aug we signed Webster. Hypothetically we can't know if GP had seen White properly in pre-season, whether he'd have kept him in the squad as that ball playing CB. Let's not forget we had Duffy, Dunk and Burn as CBs already, we weren't exactly weak in this position to have kept White as 4th choice at that time.
Nearly six weeks between GP arriving and BW going to Leeds - plenty of time to have a look at him. Besides, GP already knew a lot about BW - he wanted to sign him at Swansea.
Of course the loan plan could have been changed - it was for Connolly I believe. Anyway, I'm sure BW learned a lot more playing every match in the Championship than he would have done as fourth or fifth CB at Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here