Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Big Name Film Stars You Dislike...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Burt Lancaster was an absolute top man. Look him up!

I am a bit older than you I suspect, but I have a feeling he was sneered at by commentators during the 60s and 70s because commentators were appealing to a gallery who would have regarded a white man supporting Civil Rights in much the same way that NSC's Droopy would regard anything mildly pink, red or brown. Being an impressionable nipper, I would have been influenced by the sneering. Later I saw the error of my ways. And Local Hero was pure class.

By contrast, the right wing hypocrite cat among the pidgeons was John Wayne.

I read a Barry Norman anecdote about the Duke. He said that he was granted an interview during the time of the Vietnam war ,with the draft dodging far right great American patriot, who , during the interview said that America should nuke Russia. Norman, thinking it was a joke, laughed, Wayne had him physically thrown out of the hotel room.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I read a Barry Norman anecdote about the Duke. He said that he was granted an interview during the time of the Vietnam war ,with the draft dodging far right great American patriot, who , during the interview said that America should nuke Russia. Norman, thinking it was a joke, laughed, Wayne had him physically thrown out of the hotel room.

I seem to recall reading he wasn't quite as heterosexual as he no doubt would have liked us all to believe. Not noted in his wiki entry. Hypocrisy, however, is a small sin compared with being a lifetime-award level piece of shit. :shrug:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I was going to say Hanks in Toy Story....you know.....bit wooden, but thought that would just be stupid.
I can't think of any film actor that really gets my goat up, Seagal maybe

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I seem to recall reading he wasn't quite as heterosexual as he no doubt would have liked us all to believe. Not noted in his wiki entry. Hypocrisy, however, is a small sin compared with being a lifetime-award level piece of shit. :shrug:

And, let’s remember a crap actor as well. Did he ever actually play at being anyone except John Wayne.
I think ‘ The Shootist ‘ was probably his only good acting performance in his entire career.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Clive Owen. Only thing he's ever been tolerable in was Children of Men. Cannot deliver a line. Annoying.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Burt Lancaster was an absolute top man. Look him up!

I am a bit older than you I suspect, but I have a feeling he was sneered at by commentators during the 60s and 70s because commentators were appealing to a gallery who would have regarded a white man supporting Civil Rights in much the same way that NSC's Droopy would regard anything mildly pink, red or brown. Being an impressionable nipper, I would have been influenced by the sneering. Later I saw the error of my ways. And Local Hero was pure class.

By contrast, the right wing hypocrite cat among the pidgeons was John Wayne.

This 100%. Lancaster was a great actor and bravely stood up to the equivalent of the Alt-Right (Commie under the bed loons and racists).

Brilliant in movies such as The Bird Man of Alcatraz and From Here To Eternity, to a cameo in Bill Forsyth's beautiful Local Hero.

Heston was a decent actor, and was once also a civil rights campaigner. But from the 80's proudly became as ferocious champion of the gun lobby (National Rifle Association), allied with some bizarre racial views.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This is a correct, yet tragic nomination.

His films were terrible. Sugar coated, feel good nonsense. I can't think of a single good thing he was in.

And yet he's one of my favourite stand ups. The earlier, manic stuff is better but he is so damn funny and warm in his comedy. Given how it turned out for him I do wonder if the films and stand ups were two opposite ends of his personality.

The World According to Garp was decent, Good Morning Vietnam, Good Will Hunting, Insomnia and The Fisher King all enjoyable, but I get the sugary thing.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The World According to Garp was decent, Good Morning Vietnam, Good Will Hunting, Insomnia and The Fisher King all enjoyable, but I get the sugary thing.

I thought he was amazing in Fisher King, along with Jeff Bridges, Mercedes Ruehl and Amanda Plummer. One of my all time favourite films

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Nah - not having this.

There hasn't been one big name film star mentioned in this thread that can't be linked to a decent film.

You've all got cabin fever.

Bad actors can be in decent films and still not be good.

It's not about them being bad actors, or not being in good films, it's about whether you like them.

For me it's Leonardo Di Caprio.

And I'm no great fan of Mel Gibson......

....... or Kevin Costner.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Nah - not having this.

There hasn't been one big name film star mentioned in this thread that can't be linked to a decent film.

You've all got cabin fever.

Why am I reading this entire thread in the voice of Angry Frank from the Harry Enfield Show?

“ Oh yes, Streep is a competent actress, but, but if she came round here, with her steel magnolias, etc, etc”

Having said that, Michael Caine. Just can’t bear him, good actor, but, a tw@ of the highest order.

Certainly agree with the Michael Caine thing.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Clive Owen. Only thing he's ever been tolerable in was Children of Men. Cannot deliver a line. Annoying.

Inside Man, Shirley?

I also can't believe that this thread has got to nearly 70 posts and no one has put forward Kevin "Don't judge me too hard, I'm gay" Spacey.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I've never been a big Julia Roberts fan. Not sure why, there's just something about knowing she's going to be the star of a film that makes me want to steer clear.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not about them being bad actors, or not being in good films, it's about whether you like them.

For me it's Leonardo Di Caprio.

And I'm no great fan of Mel Gibson......

....... or Kevin Costner.

I'm going to have to walk away, because I just don't understand the central premise and I don't want to be accused of arguing for arguing sake, again, (despite not arguing the last time either! :lol: )

For example I'm guessing you don't like/have never seen The Wolf of Wall Street

Inside Man, Shirley?

I also can't believe that this thread has got to nearly 70 posts and no one has put forward Kevin "Don't judge me too hard, I'm gay" Spacey.

At the time this thread started I was watching The Usual Suspects, for the x th time.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
At the time this thread started I was watching The Usual Suspects, for the x th time.

I'm trying to get through the last 2 series of House of Cards at the moment and it's not bothering me as much as I thought it would, but it doesn't change the fact that as a human, I can't stand him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm trying to get through the last 2 series of House of Cards at the moment and it's not bothering me as much as I thought it would, but it doesn't change the fact that as a human, I can't stand him.

Ordinarily the standard reply to that, esp when talking about actors, is:-

'But you don't know him as a human'.

In the case of Spacey I think we can let that slide!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Never been an Adam Sandler film fan, I have tried to watch them but usually have to turn his films off.
Though he did give a good performance in Uncut Gems, probably because it wasn't really one of his productions.
Mickey Rooney, was crap.
Hugh Grant, one dimensional and shit at it.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Keira “I have the same dappy expression in every film I’ve ever made” Knightley.

What men see in her I have no idea. Thoroughly repellant to me.

She ruined an otherwise excellent The Imitation Game for me.

It is of course completely irrational but there we are!

Keira Knightley's husband is one of my ex-students :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here