thumbnail_IMG_3602.jpg

Riddled

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
Probably 25% of them are in that state or have gone past that and dropped or shrivelled up.

Lowest branch is probably 10 foot up with top of the tree another 6 foot above.

So can’t be sure as cannot see them all.
But those that are visible it’s not just the odd one or two.

Cheers for the help Jack.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No sign of Chris, this morning Jack.

He did come round for breaky yesterday.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Question for the experts. I have a wisteria grown from seed in a small pot on the patio. Is it possible to pot it up into a big b'stard (knee high) and expect it to flourish? Or must it go into the free earth? I realise I am likely to be long dead before the bugger flowers, but that's immaterial.

Another question. I have a horse chestnut, now about 3 years old and about 6 feet tall, in my garden. My neighbour wants me to dig it up and rehome it in a park. My question is: is this even feasible now? It would have to be forked out. It has particular sentimental attachment as it was grown fom a conker from Stanley park, Vancouver, a tree that was probably 200 years old and that pegged it the year after I found the conker.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Probably 25% of them are in that state or have gone past that and dropped or shrivelled up.

Lowest branch is probably 10 foot up with top of the tree another 6 foot above.

So can’t be sure as cannot see them all.
But those that are visible it’s not just the odd one or two.

Cheers for the help Jack.

My mate has come back with this.

"Gloeosporium Rot, or one of the fruit rots. Shouldn't affect the tree."
https://apples.ahdb.org.uk/gloeosporium-rot.asp

Good news!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
No sign of Chris, this morning Jack.

He did come round for breaky yesterday.

He's a sprightly little whipper-snapper with one hell of an appetite it seems!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Question for the experts. I have a wisteria grown from seed in a small pot on the patio. Is it possible to pot it up into a big b'stard (knee high) and expect it to flourish? Or must it go into the free earth? I realise I am likely to be long dead before the bugger flowers, but that's immaterial.

Another question. I have a horse chestnut, now about 3 years old and about 6 feet tall, in my garden. My neighbour wants me to dig it up and rehome it in a park. My question is: is this even feasible now? It would have to be forked out. It has particular sentimental attachment as it was grown fom a conker from Stanley park, Vancouver, a tree that was probably 200 years old and that pegged it the year after I found the conker.

Re Wisteria, 99.9% of plants will do much better planted in the garden. South or west facing aspect and lots of organic matter in the planting hole. Wait until the autumn (after the leaves have all fallen off) to plant out. Water like buggery. Should flower in about four years, so you should be there to see it!
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popul...them in fertile, well,(33ft) height and width.

Re Conker tree, again, wait until all the leaves have fallen off in the autumn. Dig it out with a spade, working around the stem about 0.5 m out, to minimise root damage. It doesn't matter if all the soil falls off, but if you can keep the soil on it, even better. Re-plant straight away in a square hole at the same depth as it was in its original location. Depending on the size, it may have to be staked, or all side branches pruned back by three-quarters to reduce weight, to stop wind-rock. Leave the leader (growing tip branch), unpruned. Water like buggery and cover the ground around it with organic matter as a mulch. It will be very important to water like buggery, minimum of once a month from April to September for two years for guaranteed success.
As for its new location in a park, if it's a busy well-used park, you will need to contact who's park it is (Council or whoever) to either get permission or to donate it to them for them to plant. This is necessary as they must know about new trees in case it impacts on maintenance or possibly be a hazard in the future due to location or condition. Most Councils keep a database of every tree on their land to keep a record of checks for safety and maintenance.
On the other hand, there is a work ethic I used to use; " It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Re Wisteria, 99.9% of plants will do much better planted in the garden. South or west facing aspect and lots of organic matter in the planting hole. Wait until the autumn (after the leaves have all fallen off) to plant out. Water like buggery. Should flower in about four years, so you should be there to see it!
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popul...them in fertile, well,(33ft) height and width.

Re Conker tree, again, wait until all the leaves have fallen off in the autumn. Dig it out with a spade, working around the stem about 0.5 m out, to minimise root damage. It doesn't matter if all the soil falls off, but if you can keep the soil on it, even better. Re-plant straight away in a square hole at the same depth as it was in its original location. Depending on the size, it may have to be staked, or all side branches pruned back by three-quarters to reduce weight, to stop wind-rock. Leave the leader (growing tip branch), unpruned. Water like buggery and cover the ground around it with organic matter as a mulch. It will be very important to water like buggery, minimum of once a month from April to September for two years for guaranteed success.
As for its new location in a park, if it's a busy well-used park, you will need to contact who's park it is (Council or whoever) to either get permission or to donate it to them for them to plant. This is necessary as they must know about new trees in case it impacts on maintenance or possibly be a hazard in the future due to location or condition. Most Councils keep a database of every tree on their land to keep a record of checks for safety and maintenance.
On the other hand, there is a work ethic I used to use; " It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."!

Very many thanks for that. I really thought I'd left it too late to move the conker tree :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Is Big Plant worth the trek from Brighton for a wander round for us amateurs. (ie Is it big and still cheap without the trade discount?)
For what they stock I think it is... as regards to price I guess that’s subjective

They are only open certain days of the week currently and the cafe is closed for now, which is a pity

Just got back from Big Plant - very impressive. They certainly know their stuff and I can see why you professionals use them :thumbsup:

That is some selection of old Olives they have. I was sorely tempted but I've had have three in big pots on the terrace for the last 10 years. (I wish I had seen Big Plants selection and prices first). I think I will go back up and get a couple of things, but probably get them delivered.

As I was looking at these old Olives, I started wondering with the old trunk specimens, whether the Med countries are digging up their Olives that have seen better fruit bearing days, chopping off all the branches and sending them over here. A few months in the sun, lots of new growth and Bob's your Auntie's live in lover. Or am I just being cynical ?

And the Cafe is open again.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just got back from Big Plant - very impressive. They certainly know their stuff and I can see why you professionals use them :thumbsup:

That is some selection of old Olives they have. I was sorely tempted but I've had have three in big pots on the terrace for the last 10 years. (I wish I had seen Big Plants selection and prices first). I think I will go back up and get a couple of things, but probably get them delivered.

As I was looking at these old Olives, I started wondering with the old trunk specimens, whether the Med countries are digging up their Olives that have seen better fruit bearing days, chopping off all the branches and sending them over here. A few months in the sun, lots of new growth and Bob's your Auntie's live in lover. Or am I just being cynical ?

And the Cafe is open again.

Glad it helped and the cafe open makes the trek a bit sweeter ...excuse me for now but back to work and melting

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
With the cafe being open, I can actually drag swmbo along. She doesn't understand why I stare at palms and bamboo.....I'm not in love, I'm just thinking where they would look best!

It's all in the planning

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'm in the middle of an event. My Albizia is flowering!

Attachments

• Albizia.jpg
    Albizia.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Love it Jack. After I saw you on Monday, i popped over to Shoreham to visit a friend and there was an Albizia probably 5 times bigger than yours. Absolutely stunning.

You wouldn't be suggesting to Jack that size is everything ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm in the middle of an event. My Albizia is flowering!

I just love Albizia, and that looks great!

When we moved over here I left one a similar size back in Hove, bet the philistine who bought my house has chopped it down by now. I have managed to acquire a tiny potted one over here, but they are very rare so I will try to keep it going in a pot until we get to our final home.

Very jealous Jack :thumbsup:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've grown hundreds of julies from seed, they germinate faster than most weeds. Must admit I'm not that fussed with them and wouldn't go out of my way to get more, but each to their own

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] and the other gardening sages here, please can you advise me in selecting a small tree for our small front garden.

We’re high on what was chalk downland in Withdean. It’s very windy and gusty for many days in any month of the year, we have thin soil but I’ve dug out a foot of chalk to fill the hole with top soil and some well rotted manure (not the football club).

The tree needs to have a max height of say 4m and like calcareous soil. I’m allergic to tree pollen in a big way in spring, which rules out the otherwise ideal Silver Birch.

Using websites such as RHS plant finder, English Woodlands, E.W.Burrrow and Hillier, I can’t find any suitable trees.

Japanese Maples wouldn’t like the exposed site and various blossoming trees such as Prunus avium would lose all their blossom at the first storm.

Any tree ideas, please?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
To [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] and the other gardening sages here, please can you advise me in selecting a small tree for our small front garden.

We’re high on what was chalk downland in Withdean. It’s very windy and gusty for many days in any month of the year, we have thin soil but I’ve dug out a foot of chalk to fill the hole with top soil and some well rotted manure (not the football club).

The tree needs to have a max height of say 4m and like calcareous soil. I’m allergic to tree pollen in a big way in spring, which rules out the otherwise ideal Silver Birch.

Using websites such as RHS plant finder, English Woodlands, E.W.Burrrow and Hillier, I can’t find any suitable trees.

Japanese Maples wouldn’t like the exposed site and various blossoming trees such as Prunus avium would lose all their blossom at the first storm.

Any tree ideas, please?
I would look no further than a Mountain Ash (Rowan) - Sorbus aucuparia. Doesn't grow too big, has nice shaped leaves, white flowers in spring, red berries in late summer and autumn and lovely autumn colour. There are loads of Sorbus, so make sure you get an "aucuparia" and not a named variety. It's a British native, so that's another plus. It is a "small" tree, but can grow to fifteen metres. I've never seen one anywhere near that size. If it gets too big, it can be gently pruned, but you probably won't need to.
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/british-trees/a-z-of-british-trees/rowan/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here