Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

My biggest question from this article is what ON EARTH is this child doing. C49BDCA2-86D6-4EE4-8222-C6909676F43C.jpeg

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Coronavirus: Nicotine patches to be tested on patients after study suggests smokers less likely to catch COVID-19

Nicotine patches are to be tested on coronavirus patients and healthcare workers treating infected people after initial studies suggested smokers were less likely to catch the disease.

Researchers in France say early data indicates those who smoke make up a disproportionately small number of people in hospital with COVID-19.

A study at Paris's Pitie-Salpetriere hospital suggests a substance in tobacco, thought to be nicotine, was preventing smokers contracting coronavirus.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...mokers-less-likely-to-catch-covid-19-11977460

I'm not suggesting people should take up smoking, obviously. But nicotine could provide a route to protecting people, apparently (though in general it isn't good for you).

And I recently quit thinking that was a good idea to protect myself. :wozza:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Coronavirus: Nicotine patches to be tested on patients after study suggests smokers less likely to catch COVID-19

Nicotine patches are to be tested on coronavirus patients and healthcare workers treating infected people after initial studies suggested smokers were less likely to catch the disease.

Researchers in France say early data indicates those who smoke make up a disproportionately small number of people in hospital with COVID-19.

A study at Paris's Pitie-Salpetriere hospital suggests a substance in tobacco, thought to be nicotine, was preventing smokers contracting coronavirus.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...mokers-less-likely-to-catch-covid-19-11977460

I'm not suggesting people should take up smoking, obviously. But nicotine could provide a route to protecting people, apparently (though in general it isn't good for you).

And I recently quit thinking that was a good idea to protect myself. :wozza:

Dealt with (at 17mins) here: https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/webinar-covid-research

You did the right thing giving up, stick with it!

(does not rule out the potential benefits of nicotine, but confirms as you say, that the overall impact of smoking in context of the risks of COVID 19, is likely to be negative - the French study was small, and not backed up by initial findings from much bigger group study)

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
And for the good news, have a look at the map and graph showing how the number of people predicted to have symptomatic COVID has decreased over time (since lockdown) here:

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data

It shows how effective the lockdown has been, but also shows that the rate of decrease has slowed quite a bit recently. That may be people beginning to loosen up on lockdown discipline, but also I'd guess reflects that there is a certain % of the population amongst whom the virus is continuing to spread, presumably key workers obviously, but maybe also people who can't, or won't, stick with the rules.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Uber will be launching “Uber Medics” on the 29th April giving NHS and Care Workers 25% off the normal fare and up-to 15 minutes waiting time.

The drivers will receive their usual 75%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Local Plan referendum put back 12m. Possibility of any building on the field outside my house therefore also back by 12m :clap2:

D

Deleted member 2719

Great news, that Hancock has announced a new format, with a member of the public asking the first question.
I would like to see all questions from the public and none from the media, assuming you don't have your HT and Raleigh Chopper sliding in the side door.

Where has kuenssberg gone???
Has she at last been found out???

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead

As scientists at the Jenner Institute prepare for mass clinical trials, new tests show their vaccine to be effective in monkeys.

In the worldwide race for a vaccine to stop the coronavirus, the laboratory sprinting fastest is at Oxford University.

Most other teams have had to start with small clinical trials of a few hundred participants to demonstrate safety. But scientists at the university’s Jenner Institute had a head start on a vaccine, having proved in previous trials that similar inoculations — including one last year against an earlier coronavirus — were harmless to humans.

That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe, but also that it works.

The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective.

Now, they have received promising news suggesting that it might.

Scientists at the National Institutes of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Montana last month inoculated six rhesus macaque monkeys with single doses of the Oxford vaccine. The animals were then exposed to heavy quantities of the virus that is causing the pandemic — exposure that had consistently sickened other monkeys in the lab. But more than 28 days later all six were healthy, said Vincent Munster, the researcher who conducted the test.

“The rhesus macaque is pretty much the closest thing we have to humans,” Dr. Munster said, noting that scientists were still analyzing the result. He said he expected to share it with other scientists next week and then submit it to a peer-reviewed journal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/...ate-oxford.html#click=https://t.co/PZ1mQcDPwB

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead

As scientists at the Jenner Institute prepare for mass clinical trials, new tests show their vaccine to be effective in monkeys.

In the worldwide race for a vaccine to stop the coronavirus, the laboratory sprinting fastest is at Oxford University.

Most other teams have had to start with small clinical trials of a few hundred participants to demonstrate safety. But scientists at the university’s Jenner Institute had a head start on a vaccine, having proved in previous trials that similar inoculations — including one last year against an earlier coronavirus — were harmless to humans.

That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe, but also that it works.

The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective.

Now, they have received promising news suggesting that it might.

Scientists at the National Institutes of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Montana last month inoculated six rhesus macaque monkeys with single doses of the Oxford vaccine. The animals were then exposed to heavy quantities of the virus that is causing the pandemic — exposure that had consistently sickened other monkeys in the lab. But more than 28 days later all six were healthy, said Vincent Munster, the researcher who conducted the test.

“The rhesus macaque is pretty much the closest thing we have to humans,” Dr. Munster said, noting that scientists were still analyzing the result. He said he expected to share it with other scientists next week and then submit it to a peer-reviewed journal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/...ate-oxford.html#click=https://t.co/PZ1mQcDPwB

Don’t let Trump anywhere near it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here