Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The WHO (if you read the actual brief) were correctly sounding a note of caution about proposals to treat everyone that tests positive to antibodies as entirely 'safe' (eg not just won't get the virus again, but also, and more importantly, will not be able to spread it). What they are saying is that countries need to plan ahead based on science and evidence, not assumptions, and as of now the evidence does not exist to make us certain about how those with antibodies may react to future exposure (it is all about T-cells apparently).

They acknowledged (and have now re-clarified) that antibodies are LIKELY to give some level of immunity but it's not certain enough yet to roll out a mass programme of 'immunity passports' without further evidence (Which should come in fairly quickly I'd imagine).

Unfortunately, WHO made the naive assumption that the media, and certain global leaders, will read and report what they say with some degree of responsibility.
The media have been very poor in this crisis imo. I read several reports on that WHO statement and not one put the headline quote into perspective as you have done.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The WHO (if you read the actual brief) were correctly sounding a note of caution about proposals to treat everyone that tests positive to antibodies as entirely 'safe' (eg not just won't get the virus again, but also, and more importantly, will not be able to spread it). What they are saying is that countries need to plan ahead based on science and evidence, not assumptions, and as of now the evidence does not exist to make us certain about how those with antibodies may react to future exposure (it is all about T-cells apparently).

They acknowledged (and have now re-clarified) that antibodies are LIKELY to give some level of immunity but it's not certain enough yet to roll out a mass programme of 'immunity passports' without further evidence (Which should come in fairly quickly I'd imagine).

Unfortunately, WHO made the naive assumption that the media, and certain global leaders, will read and report what they say with some degree of responsibility.

Yup. The naivety as you how the statement would be misconstrued is why I said it wasn’t helpful. The rest is completely correct.

Also the danger following sensationalist and simplistic reporting, e.g. - “there is NO immunity!” says WHO - is that a percentage of the population could then read it as “well if I can’t be immune, why are we locking down? Might as well just carry on if we’re all gonna die anyway blah blah blah” - obviously daft, but hey, that’s people for you.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Even as someone who is in no way a virologist, or a scientist of any kind, the original input from them seemed false. The human body is resistant to something it's just fought off in virus form for a while anyway, the debate was over how long that was for and not whether it even happened (as they seemed to insinuate).

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove
Just want to say thanks guys for this thread. I haven't posted on these forums in a long time but I've been checking this thread every week, and it helps me to have a little bit of hope. :clap2:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Even as someone who is in no way a virologist, or a scientist of any kind, the original input from them seemed false. The human body is resistant to something it's just fought off in virus form for a while anyway, the debate was over how long that was for and not whether it even happened (as they seemed to insinuate).

My understanding from reading is that it's never been that simple. If you have had it, then for sure, it seems to be considered unlikely that you'd get it again, but not 100% certain. And so far there is no actual evidence, just assumptions. I have also read that most experts consider that if you did get it again it would very likely be as a mild, or asymtomatic, form (which is great for those that have it, but not so much for those around them if they become re-infected and contagious while assuming they are completely safe).

The brief also notes that, as yet, the antibody tests are not completely reliable (that is likely to change soon, but it is where we are NOW).

These areas of uncertainty just raise questions about the wisdom of pressing ahead too fast with immunity passports.

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19

The good news here is that the WHO continues to provide good, cautious, evidence based advice, and most governments will be listening!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My understanding from reading is that it's never been that simple. If you have had it, then for sure, it seems to be considered unlikely that you'd get it again, but not 100% certain. And so far there is no actual evidence, just assumptions. I have also read that most experts consider that if you did get it again it would very likely be as a mild, or asymtomatic, form (which is great for those that have it, but not so much for those around them if they become re-infected and contagious while assuming they are completely safe).

The brief also notes that, as yet, the antibody tests are not completely reliable (that is likely to change soon, but it is where we are NOW).

These areas of uncertainty just raise questions about the wisdom of pressing ahead too fast with immunity passports.

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19

The good news here is that the WHO continues to provide good, cautious, evidence based advice, and most governments will be listening!

I've been told that you can't get the viral infection chicken pox twice, but I did :down:

I believe that what they are saying is absolutely true. There will always be extremely rare cases, often when someone's very special :wink:

Stumpy Tim

While I agree with much of what you say, the WHO shouldn't make the assumptions you suggest. They put this on Twitter, and the government don´t control the narrative on Twitter. It was a poorly thought response in my opinion - they should have put a balanced response out first.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
0 new cases in Malta and Iceland.

Just 7 new cases in Croatia.

Turkey sees more recoveries than new infections for first time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Spain sees more recoveries than infections for first time.

In Andalucia, they are looking at reopening small businesses from 11th May and bars (surprisingly) from 25th May.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Positive noises from initial blood plasma treatments, will post link if I can find it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
We can now travel out of country, associations up from 2 people to 10. Shops opening tomorrow. On May 11, outdoor areas of restaurants will be allowed to open. Restaurants will be able to open interior areas from May 25. Hotels will also be able to resume operations from May 25.

Infections seem to be decreasing, so light at the end of the tunnel here. Too early for the UK.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We can now travel out of country, associations up from 2 people to 10. Shops opening tomorrow. On May 11, outdoor areas of restaurants will be allowed to open. Restaurants will be able to open interior areas from May 25. Hotels will also be able to resume operations from May 25.

Infections seem to be decreasing, so light at the end of the tunnel here. Too early for the UK.

It’ll be interesting to see how Denmark, Austria and the Czech Republic get on. Hopefully all goes well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’ll be interesting to see how Denmark, Austria and the Czech Republic get on. Hopefully all goes well.

This, good luck Dave and all in those countries. Hopefully will go well and be the beginning of the end of this shit.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
No alcohol for 5 weeks (as I don't drink at home) and now 2 stone and 2lbs lighter. Now down to a more respectable 12 and a half stone. How much must I have been drinking in the pubs before? Has been a bit of a wake up call, but a positive one.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
No alcohol for 5 weeks (as I don't drink at home) and now 2 stone and 2lbs lighter. Now down to a more respectable 12 and a half stone. How much must I have been drinking in the pubs before? Has been a bit of a wake up call, but a positive one.

Had take my belt off for a security gate on Friday, and almost embarrassed myself in front of a line of people. The lack of beer is telling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here