[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Brilliant idea

This, completely. Complete game-changer. Report states it's less intrusive and more effective than a ventilator. It's also significantly cheaper. On the face of it, what's not to like? And as it was the lead story on Sky News this morning, hopefully the powers-that-be will be made fully aware of the potential savings in terms of both lives and money. Simple win-win on the face of it

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This, completely. Complete game-changer. Report states it's less intrusive and more effective than a ventilator. It's also significantly cheaper. On the face of it, what's not to like? And as it was the lead story on Sky News this morning, hopefully the powers-that-be will be made fully aware of the potential savings in terms of both lives and money. Simple win-win on the face of it

Less frightening for the patient and their loved as well

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Positive to hear. Every day we're learning more and more about how to counter this virus. Should help the mortality rates drop further.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Spain lowest fatalities in a month.

I then saw the 6700 daily new cases and wondered - it appears 2796 of them are actual "new" infections, and the rest are made up by positive antibody tests which are now being included in the figures, rather confusingly.

Stumpy Tim

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

one of the questions a month ago was "what would success look like?" -the answer was "That it appears we were over prepared"- or words to that effect. A month on and the Nightingale hospitals are barely used , ventilators not needed, Hospitals and more importantly critical care beds not coming close to capacity. The army of volunteers barely having anything to do. Its obviously not all good news, and there is still a long way to go, but just those few things indicate the size of the crisis we could have had, and that despite the press determined to paint it in the worst possible light, a lot of what has been done has been successful.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
one of the questions a month ago was "what would success look like?" -the answer was "That it appears we were over prepared"- or words to that effect. A month on and the Nightingale hospitals are barely used , ventilators not needed, Hospitals and more importantly critical care beds not coming close to capacity. The army of volunteers barely having anything to do. Its obviously not all good news, and there is still a long way to go, but just those few things indicate the size of the crisis we could have had, and that despite the press determined to paint it in the worst possible light, a lot of what has been done has been successful.

Post of the month, nicely put.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Shame (and inevitable) about the US, but otherwise this is good to see:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...orld-leaders-agree-action-on-covid-19-vaccine

- Shift towards a more globally cooperative approach and a symbolic endorsement of WHO (with US non-cooperation being effectively sidelined, which I suspect means they will have to come back into the fold at some point)

- Commitment to sharing research, analysis etc which presumably (not an expert) makes faster progress and success more likely

- A pledge not to leave poorer countries behind in terms of access to vaccination

- UK taking a leading role

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
. 20200425_144524.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where are you at?

EWg81u3WsAE0qjd.jpeg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The mail I know, but fantastic news if true and a mildly interesting article by mail standards.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-50million-game-changing-immunity-tests.html

Interesting that the Mail article ignores the report from the WHO who state that no-one knows whether the presence of antibodies in a recovered person will grant immunity.

edit: actually later on it does mention that report. However, the early part is written as fact and that is not very sensible.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Interesting that the Mail article ignores the report from the WHO who state that no-one knows whether the presence of antibodies in a recovered person will grant immunity.

edit: actually later on it does mention that report. However, the early part is written as fact and that is not very sensible.

I’m not sure how much the WHO can be trusted, but they Tweeted this a few hours ago.

ABBF87B6-7F2D-4A7D-AD3C-88E8D5A52D4D.jpeg

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah I thought the original comment wasn’t fully helpful at this point in time - and it was good that they clarified it a little.

The WHO (if you read the actual brief) were correctly sounding a note of caution about proposals to treat everyone that tests positive to antibodies as entirely 'safe' (eg not just won't get the virus again, but also, and more importantly, will not be able to spread it). What they are saying is that countries need to plan ahead based on science and evidence, not assumptions, and as of now the evidence does not exist to make us certain about how those with antibodies may react to future exposure (it is all about T-cells apparently).

They acknowledged (and have now re-clarified) that antibodies are LIKELY to give some level of immunity but it's not certain enough yet to roll out a mass programme of 'immunity passports' without further evidence (Which should come in fairly quickly I'd imagine).

Unfortunately, WHO made the naive assumption that the media, and certain global leaders, will read and report what they say with some degree of responsibility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports