Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
From the Guardian ....

The UK is estimated to have avoided 1,752 deaths due to lower air pollution during the Covid-19 outbreak.

Imagine how many more that could be if the amount of pollution could be reduced over an extended period of time

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Screenshot_20200430-090158_Twitter.jpg

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Clean air in Europe during lockdown ‘leads to 11,000 fewer deaths’

The improvement in air quality over the past month of the coronavirus lockdown has led to 11,000 fewer deaths from pollution in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, a study has revealed.

Sharp falls in road traffic and industrial emissions have also resulted in 1.3m fewer days of work absence, 6,000 fewer children developing asthma, 1,900 avoided emergency room visits and 600 fewer preterm births, according to the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...e-during-lockdown-leads-to-11000-fewer-deaths

(not sure how they calculate the "1.3m fewer days of work absence")

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not on the same scale as some of the good news here, but a couple of companies got their Furlough payments yesterday :thumbsup:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Very interesting if verified and also reassuring for those like me who work in Primary schools. However, I have long thought the main problem with primary schools opening up again is the adults at drop-off and collection times.

More than anything, I'd like my parents to be able to safely see my young kids. I hope this research is being continued as well

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Very interesting if verified and also reassuring for those like me who work in Primary schools. However, I have long thought the main problem with primary schools opening up again is the adults at drop-off and collection times.

Arrows and the lollipop person with a two metres distance sign ..just like Tescos :whistle:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Clean air in Europe during lockdown ‘leads to 11,000 fewer deaths’

The improvement in air quality over the past month of the coronavirus lockdown has led to 11,000 fewer deaths from pollution in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, a study has revealed.

Sharp falls in road traffic and industrial emissions have also resulted in 1.3m fewer days of work absence, 6,000 fewer children developing asthma, 1,900 avoided emergency room visits and 600 fewer preterm births, according to the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...e-during-lockdown-leads-to-11000-fewer-deaths

(not sure how they calculate the "1.3m fewer days of work absence")

It will be interesting after all of this when the Green parties across the world present these figures to the public. Those arguing against car-less city centres are going to have a tough time of it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It will be interesting after all of this when the Green parties across the world present these figures to the public. Those arguing against car-less city centres are going to have a tough time of it.

However, it is also thought that once lockdown ends, car traffic will increase as people will be reluctant to use public transport.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
England 391
Scotland 60
Wales 22
NI - NA yet

Looks like around 480 or so with NI included, down significantly from previous Thursdays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here